Buying a 2006 2.5l TDI (R5) - Looking for advice on common issues?

rsd

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat Wagon TDI
Hi. I've been driving a Passat B4 for the past ten years. The engine's great but rust has taken it's toll and I found a 2006 Touareg 2.5l TDI for sale.

I know the AHU engine inside and out, I had issues with the Mass airflow sensor, exhaust manifold gumming up, seat heaters burning up, AC condenser leaking, ground wire on the starter corroding, door handle springs seizing and other common VW electronic quirks. But I don't know this engine.

I've read reviews saying that it's under powered, that it's hard to pass at highway speeds. Any advice on quirks common problems or performance would be very helpful. How is it at towing? i.e. A boat, utility trailer. Is 26 mpg combined accurate?

Thanks

Yeti35

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Touareg V6 TDI
How did you find this in NA since they were never imported here at all. I can't fathom Canada got any either or we would have heard about it on Club Touareg. You sure it is an R5?

NoobyT

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
The R5 [if that is what it actually is] has some VW van components to keep the cost down. The brakes, hubs and wheels are different to the rest of the Touareg range for example.

The engine is okay - a little agricultural perhaps and not as smooth as the V6 Tdi - but using the correct engine oil is ESSENTIAL throughout it's life otherwise you get premature camshaft lobe wear due to insufficient shear resistance in the oil molecules which then split instead of lubricating the acute angled cam lobes which are under extreme high pressure.

Even VW dealers have been known to use the wrong oil at service time.

As for the Touareg in general, take time to read ALL of this carefully and you'll soon be up to speed:

http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/topic/10163-buying-a-used-touareg-what-to-look-for/