OBD reader

djjaes

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
I’m thinking of getting an OBD reader for my 2013 Jetta...any suggestions?
I want to get one that uses a smart phone app (iOS compatible).

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I’m thinking of getting an OBD reader for my 2013 Jetta...any suggestions?
I want to get one that uses a smart phone app (iOS compatible).

Unfortunately, the best VW ODB readers are not for iOS.
VCDS (the best) requires Windows.
ODBeleven requires Android (at least for now).
Carista might work but I don't know a lot about this one.

A Ross-Tech HEX-NET with its built-in VCDS-Mobile would work with iOS, but it is not cheap. I do know of several people with iPhones who have purchased ODBeleven and a cheap Android tablet. This might be your cheapest alternative.

Have Fun!

Don

djjaes

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
Unfortunately, the best VW ODB readers are not for iOS.
VCDS (the best) requires Windows.
ODBeleven requires Android (at least for now).
Carista might work but I don't know a lot about this one.

A Ross-Tech HEX-NET with its built-in VCDS-Mobile would work with iOS, but it is not cheap. I do know of several people with iPhones who have purchased ODBeleven and a cheap Android tablet. This might be your cheapest alternative.

Have Fun!

Don
Thanks!

The Walmart has those androids for bout 50$, so I’ll look into that!

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
The Walmart has those androids for bout 50$, so I’ll look into that!

OK, in that case, then you have to buy the ODBeleven device that plugs into the car (about $80). Then you have to install the ODBeleven Pro APP.
You can then buy "credits" to run pre-made tweaks to change various things.
As I understand it (I have VCDS), if you know what you are doing, you can directly change coding and adaptations without purchasing credits. I'm no ODBeleven expert, but it might be worth checking it out more thoroughly (they have their own forum). The APP does say that it contains ads and the option for in-app purchases.

There are also some nice ODBeleven reviews on youtube.

Have Fun!

Don

djjaes

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
OK, in that case, then you have to buy the ODBeleven device that plugs into the car (about $80). Then you have to install the ODBeleven Pro APP.
You can then buy "credits" to run pre-made tweaks to change various things.
As I understand it (I have VCDS), if you know what you are doing, you can directly change coding and adaptations without purchasing credits. I'm no ODBeleven expert, but it might be worth checking it out more thoroughly (they have their own forum). The APP does say that it contains ads and the option for in-app purchases.

There are also some nice ODBeleven reviews on youtube.

Have Fun!

Don
Thanks, I'll check it out...however, I am not doing any mods to the vehicle until the emissions warranty is out. I don't want to give VW any reason to not cover what it has agreed to cover.

I want the reader so that I am more informed when I get warnings indicators, etc.

ToBiN

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen TDI/M6; 2006 Dodge 3500 Cummins/M6 Mega Cab; 2011 Jetta TDI/M6 (sold)
if you're just looking for a reader there are plenty of Bluetooth OBD2 readers on Amazon. I bought 2 so I can keep one in each car. Using the reader with an app like torque lite or torque pro, I can read and clear error codes and setup a "dashboard" on my app with all of the gauges I want to monitor.

If you want to use the OBD2 reader to modify settings, then VCDS is probably your best Option with a windows laptop.

keaton

Veteran Member
TDI
TDI-less ATM
what are your goals? are you trying to recode the cars modules or just read OBD2 PID info?

recode = VCDS
read OBD2 PIDs you can use a generic reader
reading VW specific groups = VCDS

I have both the OBDlink Bluetooth and WiFi modules
you want the WiFi one for iOS, you will plug it into the car, connect to the WiFi network created by the module then launch the app.

iOS compatible
http://www.obdlink.com/mxwf/

by law all OBD2 cars must report this information

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs
not every PID is used by every car. what the car supports is controlled by the group bit encoding.

for a while i was playing with a cheap android tablet and the Bluetooth module trying to do a heads up display. didn't work for other reasons (screen focusing and polarization) but works for gauges, graphs and generic data capture.

buratino1117

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG
I have Carly for VAG and that one allows you to do quite a bit with it. It is available for Android (I got that one) or IOS. You need to buy the Carly ELM gizmo from them & buy the app. I d estimate about $100 for everything. I used the Carly ELM for BMW before and I am using it for the VAG DPF, which is another available software that allows me to see good details about the DPF and regeneration status, but it did NOT work with CJJA engine...Back to Carly, it allows you to reset service, check the vehicle mileage and code some of the features like remote window opening and closing, lock and unlock settings and some more features depending the modules installed on the car. My car is an S model and allows me to modify only 2 modules. I forgot to mention that Carly also scans for VW codes. It displays the code and allows you to clear them. I would say that is overall good program without spending lots of money. Now, because I also have the VCDS I can say that it does not compare in regards features with it but costs are lower and allows quick scans without the need to use a laptop. I used Carly for BMW before and was great so I do recommend Carly for VAG to you and others.

Last edited:

djjaes

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
what are your goals? are you trying to recode the cars modules or just read OBD2 PID info?

recode = VCDS
read OBD2 PIDs you can use a generic reader
reading VW specific groups = VCDS

I have both the OBDlink Bluetooth and WiFi modules
you want the WiFi one for iOS, you will plug it into the car, connect to the WiFi network created by the module then launch the app.

iOS compatible
http://www.obdlink.com/mxwf/

by law all OBD2 cars must report this information

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBD-II_PIDs
not every PID is used by every car. what the car supports is controlled by the group bit encoding.

for a while i was playing with a cheap android tablet and the Bluetooth module trying to do a heads up display. didn't work for other reasons (screen focusing and polarization) but works for gauges, graphs and generic data capture.
Mainly I want to be able to read my own codes so I can be more informed...once my emissions warranty runs out, I plan to mod the vehicle.

djjaes

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
I have Carly for VAG and that one allows you to do quite a bit with it. It is available for Android (I got that one) or IOS. You need to buy the Carly ELM gizmo from them & buy the app. I d estimate about $100 for everything. I used the Carly ELM for BMW before and I am using it for the VAG DPF, which is another available software that allows me to see good details about the DPF and regeneration status, but it did NOT work with CJJA engine...Back to Carly, it allows you to reset service, check the vehicle mileage and code some of the features like remote window opening and closing, lock and unlock settings and some more features depending the modules installed on the car. My car is an S model and allows me to modify only 2 modules. I forgot to mention that Carly also scans for VW codes. It displays the code and allows you to clear them. I would say that is overall good program without spending lots of money. Now, because I also have the VCDS I can say that it does not compare in regards features with it but costs are lower and allows quick scans without the need to use a laptop. I used Carly for BMW before and was great so I do recommend Carly for VAG to you and others.
lll check it out, thanks

djjaes

TDI
2013 Jetta Sedan DSG
if you're just looking for a reader there are plenty of Bluetooth OBD2 readers on Amazon. I bought 2 so I can keep one in each car. Using the reader with an app like torque lite or torque pro, I can read and clear error codes and setup a "dashboard" on my app with all of the gauges I want to monitor.

If you want to use the OBD2 reader to modify settings, then VCDS is probably your best Option with a windows laptop.
I don't plan on modding the car yet, as the emissions warranty is still in effect...however, the day after.

CTD_Chevrolet

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta S DSG, '02 Jetta ALH 5spd
I have VCDS but I also have a couple of the $10 generic chinese bluetooth readers that I use more often (quicker and doesn't require having my laptop). If you just want to be able to check a code they are fine. VCDS is a great tool and something you should want, but if you just want to be able to pull codes the cheap ones are fine.

michaelmg

TDI
Volkswagen Touareg
I have VCDS but I also have a couple of the $10 generic chinese bluetooth readers that I use more often (quicker and doesn't require having my laptop). If you just want to be able to check a code they are fine. VCDS is a great tool and something you should want, but if you just want to be able to pull codes the cheap ones are fine.
Would the $35 Chinese ones be reasonable?