heater core

wreckingball

TDI
mk4 jetta
hey guys,
my windows keep fogging up and the car smell like coolant, was wondering where about the heater core is located on a 99 jetta TDI (ALH) ? and if i can change it without removing the dash?

Derickd

TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Mine has done the same for a couple years, even shoots up specks of coolant on the windshield when I use the defroster. My tdi guru recommend that it's not worth it to go in there unless the core fails completely. I just remember to only use my defroster if it's necessary and the smell goes away eventually.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
Core is a quite a job. It can be done. If you like the
smell of G12 wait. I think having your odor free is a nice thing. its your nose!

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
There are also reports of it letting go all of a sudden, showering either the windshield, the driver, or the passenger with steaming hot coolant.

Long boring job but t'were it my car I'd either get it fixed soon or bypass it completely in the meantime.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Anytime!

Don't let the photos scare you. It is a very straightforward job. If your heater box is split with clips holding both haves together, you can pop the clips and pull the box out without disconnecting the A/C side. Lot's of plastic clips and electrical connectors but easy to put back together. ;)

If you can't locate the DIY write ups, I'll see what I can find again. OK here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4180628

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?4188858

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=232824

Last edited:

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
While you are that far into the dash what else should be replaced? I do not have to do this, thankfully, but for others viewing this thread or the OP. Would be a good time to do just about anything that is under there, just not sure what ;)

TDI-JAY

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagen 6M
HOLY CRAP!!!

This is the only reason I got rid of my 99.5, was such a shame but with rust on the body & needing a heater core was as good of a reason as any to do a swap into my wagon. I can't believe how naked that pic is without the dash, just wow. So glad I didn't try that.

I used to only put my heat on for 30 seconds or run the heat with the window cracked so I wouldn't smell raw coolant. Don't miss that @ all

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
While you are that far into the dash what else should be replaced? I do not have to do this, thankfully, but for others viewing this thread or the OP. Would be a good time to do just about anything that is under there, just not sure what ;)
It's a good time to cover the blend doors where the foam blew off over the years. I used HVAC aluminum tape (very sticky stuff).

Jay: no guts..no glory (or something like that..):p