Hillhold sucks

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
If I were in the market for a new car, I would make them disable that nonsense even before I considered taking it for a test drive.

That would be quite a trick. They would probably tell you that they could not do that just for a test drive. (or just flat refuse, or tell you it could not be done for any reason) I just don't see a dealer cooperating with such a request.

Sorry, didn't post just to rain on you.

Bill

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
That would be quite a trick. They would probably tell you that they could not do that just for a test drive. (or just flat refuse, or tell you it could not be done for any reason) I just don't see a dealer cooperating with such a request.

Bill
My wife is going to call the dealership tomorrow and ask if she can bring in her Sedan to delete the "hill hold". We'll see what they say. I'm not counting on them doing it................but you never know.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
My wife is going to call the dealership tomorrow and ask if she can bring in her Sedan to delete the "hill hold". We'll see what they say. I'm not counting on them doing it................but you never know.

That is different than asking for it to be done for a test drive.....

Good luck, and if they can't do it, do it yourself with your (or a borrowed) VCDS.

Bill

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That is different than asking for it to be done for a test drive.....

Good luck, and if they can't do it, do it yourself with your (or a borrowed) VCDS.

Bill
I guess that would depend on how bad they wanted to sell Manual_Tranny a car.

I have VCDS,but my old laptop in no longer compatible with the Ross-Tech software.

Last edited:

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Bill
No, Bill, you get what I'm saying!!

There was a little joke in there about how I am not the sort of person to walk into any car dealership and buy new. I know they will refuse to do anything for me.

I'm sure you especially can appreciate my disdain for car dealerships who do less and less for us, and salesmen who NEVER seem to know ANYTHING about cars. The idea of paying more than the car is worth to someone who didn't even make an effort to learn about what he is selling... people who are constantly guessing about what I want to hear to get me to buy... ugh. Sorry, I can rant about the dealership experience for HOURS. The fact that these people can suck any joy out of the experience of looking at cars is beyond belief! I love being around cars! This is not a VW problem, this is a systemic dealership "shark-mentality" problem.

My real "beef" is with these bundles of new car features that are almost always unnecessary and sometimes harmful. Just my opinion.

http://jalopnik.com/5874496/the-death-of-the-knob-switch-and-button

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I find this feature almost un-noticeable. Occasionally I notice it when backing out of my driveway but otherwise it's pretty unobtrusive. And the newer common rails don't stall easily: I don't drive my '12 any differently than my '02 and haven't stalled it yet.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
I find this feature almost un-noticeable. Occasionally I notice it when backing out of my driveway but otherwise it's pretty unobtrusive. And the newer common rails don't stall easily: I don't drive my '12 any differently than my '02 and haven't stalled it yet.
I believe I was significantly over-reacting to new technology again. I can't help but prefer old toys to new ones.

monstersinc1

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Below from Ross-Tech site. I told you my laptop is OLD!
As of Release 10, we no longer support Windows 95, 98, ME or NT4.
Don't blame Ross tech. These OS's aren't even supported by Microsoft anymore. Might be time to invest in a new computer.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium

slamhouse

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI SE
some people will despise the hill-hold feature and some will embrace it. for those that do not like it, you are a small percentage compared to everybody that does like it. i like vw's decision to install it, then for those of us that dont like it, we can obtain the abilities to disable it.

no reason to get upset over something in the car that you dont like that many others will enjoy.

rrolsbe

TDI
2011 TDI Sportswagen
Backing downhill to attach a trailer is a pain with Hill-Hold

We have a fairly steep driveway. The other day I was ATTEMPTING to back down our driveway to attach our utility trailer to our JSW and had to engage the clutch several times to do so. Since I do not drive the car often, I asked my wife if it always did that and she indicated she had not notice. I initially thought there was something wrong with the brakes. I would rather add wear to the brakes than wear out the clutch. I will be deleting this function with my Ross-Tech. The parking break should be used for hill hold function and that is under my control. On very steep hills I always engaged the parking brake (have done so on every manual transmission car I have ever owned) then release it at the same time as I release the clutch. If the car had the parking/emergency break located under the dash (not very useful on hills), then you might argue the "Hill Hold" served a useful function.

UPDATE: Just leave the engine off and Hill Assist of course does not work. No power steering or brakes but I can handle that. Much easier to ease down the driveway to connect our utility trailer this morning.

Last edited:

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
some people will despise the hill-hold feature and some will embrace it. for those that do not like it, you are a small percentage compared to everybody that does like it. i like vw's decision to install it, then for those of us that dont like it, we can obtain the abilities to disable it.

no reason to get upset over something in the car that you dont like that many others will enjoy.
I would be willing to bet that the hill assist feature will shorten the average clutch life. Please whatever you do.DO NOT MENTION hill assist when talking to my wife! She drove manual transmissions for over 30 years and absolutely HATED hill assist. I finally bought a new laptop and upgraded my Ross-Tech cable and deleted the hill assist on her Jetta Sedan. Now she is a HAPPY driver!

Last edited:

cj42

TDI
80 Rabbit,84 jetta,85 Jetta,03 Cummins, 2012 Passat SE 6MT Tdi
Just hold the clutch in a little longer after you let off the brake.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
WOW! I thought I was change resistant with my XP still being used. :)
LOL! I'm not change ressistant............it served its purpose years ago. Once that use was over, I used it strictly for VCDS. Now its not compatable. So, I updated when it was necessary. I have no adversions to change,other than the morals of our society crumbling before our very eyes. Too late to change that and there is no turning back.But, I won't even go there.

MotoWPK

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
We have a fairly steep driveway. The other day I was ATTEMPTING to back down our driveway to attach our utility trailer to our JSW and had to engage the clutch several times to do so.
If the transmission is in reverse or neutral I would expect that hill assist does not apply the brakes and allows coasting (controlled by manual application of the brakes).

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
I love the hill hold on my Passat. It could be a tad smoother at times, but I like how it saves the clutches in the DSG.

-J

Niner

duplicate account, banned
I love the hill hold on my Passat. It could be a tad smoother at times, but I like how it saves the clutches in the DSG.

-J
Seems to wreck the clutch in a 6 Man... I do fine with the hand held brake and manually releasing it while applying a little throttle and a bit of clutch. I will be disabling that feature on mine, as soon as I find it in there on VCDS.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
What's with all of this hill hold stuff, anyway? I have never had a problem not rolling back in a hill - and we have plenty of steep hills around here. Do you all have slow feet? :confused:

tdiot

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI 350000mi, Mercedes E320 CDI, 96 Dodge 2500 Cummins, 96 Serro Scotty Cummins RV, 93 Toyota Hilux 4x4 3.0 TD.
Hill hold works great for me on the 6MT. It took a little practice to get comfortable with it but I think it is a great feature. I never stalled it once......honest.....really. OK.....once or twice until I had confidence in the system and understood its perameters.

cj42

TDI
80 Rabbit,84 jetta,85 Jetta,03 Cummins, 2012 Passat SE 6MT Tdi
I don't see how it effects the clutch? If you take your time and release the clutch you shouldn't be fighting the brake. I would think the exact opposite of using the ebrake. You would be fight the brake and lack of a better term half clutching it until you get going. Half clutching is what kills a clutch.

Knarrly Viking

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE 6MT, 2 of them!
We have a fairly steep driveway. The other day I was ATTEMPTING to back down our driveway to attach our utility trailer to our JSW and had to engage the clutch several times to do so. Since I do not drive the car often, I asked my wife if it always did that and she indicated she had not notice. I initially thought there was something wrong with the brakes. I would rather add wear to the brakes than wear out the clutch. I will be deleting this function with my Ross-Tech. The parking break should be used for hill hold function and that is under my control. On very steep hills I always engaged the parking brake (have done so on every manual transmission car I have ever owned) then release it at the same time as I release the clutch. If the car had the parking/emergency break located under the dash (not very useful on hills), then you might argue the "Hill Hold" served a useful function.

UPDATE: Just leave the engine off and Hill Assist of course does not work. No power steering or brakes but I can handle that. Much easier to ease down the driveway to connect our utility trailer this morning.
In reading through this thread, I was going to be okay with the hill-hold feature on this new car because it let's go when depressing the trottle. Then I read this post and now I'm now determined to delete the function. My old Subaru had a completely mechanical hill hold function that released when you depressed the clutch enough. That was such a pain backing a trailer that I mechanically disabled it. The Passat system seems to be a little more sophisticated, but I'm glad I'll be able to dissable it, because car-makers evidently don't think about those who pull trailers.

gergg

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI 6M
I have a feeling I've already posted on this thread, just didn't want to look back through it to verify....In any event, I love the hill-hold feature....lol, I'm good with it!

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI

-J
The hill hold was initially introduced on the DSG transmission and is a good function with the DSG tranny. Its a needed function with the DSG. Then VW incorporated it into the manual transmission also. There is NO need for such a function with a manual transmission IF you know how to operated a clutch properly.

Seems to wreck the clutch in a 6 Man... I do fine with the hand held brake and manually releasing it while applying a little throttle and a bit of clutch. I will be disabling that feature on mine, as soon as I find it in there on VCDS.
Go to the ABS in VCDS. Here is a step by step walk through.
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a6/hill-hold-disable-vw.htm

What's with all of this hill hold stuff, anyway? I have never had a problem not rolling back in a hill - and we have plenty of steep hills around here. Do you all have slow feet? :confused:
And you sir probably know how to properly operate a clutch!

I guess I'm just old school and sorry if I am going to hurt anyone's feelings.BUT,hill assist and using the parking brake when starting out with a manual transmission on any hill no matter how steep is a crutch for not knowing how to use a clutch properly.

Last edited: