corrosion warranty

hallen

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Spicy Red
HI,

After 'washing' my car this weekend I found paint and rust between the sill and quarter panel on the front drivers side- a fair chunk of paint is missing and starting to peal all around- I know there has been numerous posts about paint problems- when I phone Steele about it this morning I got the whole I'll take pictures and send to the Atlantic Rep but 99% of the time they don't cover it...is there a more direct approach I should take to get this covered? A better dealership to go to other than the one i bought the car at?

Thanks
Heather

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
They will cover the front fenders without perforation, over the wheel arch. You might have problems getting them to cover a chip at the bottom because they'll just tell you it was caused by rock chips. Still, it never hurts to try. I got mine done through Hillcrest.

dellwas

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Not necessarily. They replaced my hatchback and one front fender on my '03 Jetta wagon. Front fender was perforated, hatch wasn't, in fact, the rust was barely visible on the hatchback. I didn't even point out the hatchback, the service writer asked to see it. Hillcrest took pics and sent it off to VW Canada, and both were approved.

NB_TDi said:
I think the rust must perforate the body panel before they even think about it.

hallen

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Spicy Red
well...

I went to Steele at lunch time- since I bought the car there- the service manager tooks pics and will send to body shop for a quote and then to VW regional for approval- the missing spot is behind the mud flap- which was installed on the car new- and in between the top of the sill and the fender- I can't find anymore else where as of yet...anyway he was pretty sure they could do something for me since they also conned me into the lifetime rust protection when I bought the vehicle- but said he'd go to VW first...so we shall see- said it would take a week or so for a decision! Fingers crossed!

skenny

Veteran Member
TDI
none
I had rust in the exact same spot - coming out from behind the mud flap on the front passenger side. Hillcrest took a picture but told me it wouldn't be covered and sure enough it wasn't. Hopefully you have better luck.. because then I'll go over to Steele and see what they can do :D

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
My question is...the people that are denied, is the dealer actually sending out the requests? Or are they just telling people no?

dellwas

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Valid question, but why would they turn down the possibility of labour charges? VW would, after all be footing the bill for the labour, not sure on the parts, don't know if they are simply supplied, or the dealership gets the markup on the parts as well. I know when I was a pro-motorcylce mechanic we got the labour and parts markup, but could be totally different with VW.

NB_TDi said:
My question is...the people that are denied, is the dealer actually sending out the requests? Or are they just telling people no?

Dieselfitter

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI with DSG
Amsoil MP- Rust inhibitor and chain lube. THIS STUFF WORKS!

Get a can of this spray. Remove the Mudflaps. Clean and let dry. Spray these areas and even the mounting screws and re-mount the Mudflaps.

This is a zinc rich wax of some sort. I sprayed one half of an old lawnmower blade with this stuff and then exposed it to the weather. The half that is not sprayed is very rusty. The other half that is sprayed looks 'NEW'. A case of 12 18oz cans cost me $80

dellwas

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
It has to be perforated, at least that's what they told me. One side was, the other wasn't. One covered, one not. Hatchback didn't have to be, go figure. Is yours perforated?

skenny said:
I had rust in the exact same spot - coming out from behind the mud flap on the front passenger side. Hillcrest took a picture but told me it wouldn't be covered and sure enough it wasn't. Hopefully you have better luck.. because then I'll go over to Steele and see what they can do :D

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
I went to Steele VW and they took pictures and said that he would email them off to VWoC. He then looked in the computer and saw I had never been to them before and he said he doubts that anything would come of it (the replacement). (that was two years ago).

I have to go back to Hillcrest and see what they say because I have some nasty perforation now on the front panels...I doubt I will get anywhere, but what else can you do...

Doesn't VW have a 12 year corrosion protection warranty on their vehicles?

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
You DO NOT need perforation. They replaced both my fenders for rust and peeling... no holes.

I'll agree though, they do seem to pick and choose which ones to honour.

hallen

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Spicy Red
Well I bought the car at Steele- and they conned me into the rust proofing as I needed to spend $500 to make my financing go down 1.5%...probably a rip off, but I have 2 angles to go at for this warranty- so we'll see what VW says and what Steele says if VW denies it.....My fingers are crossed! I've only returned to Steele a couple times and do my own maintenance and repairs- just did front brakes on the weekend- 245000 clicks and they weren't worn more than 25% just the sensor was pretty torn up so the light kept coming on- anyway- been completely happy with the car up to this point!

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Fyrman said:
You DO NOT need perforation. They replaced both my fenders for rust and peeling... no holes.

Only thing I see though is the fact that the fender was a known issue. Things like rocker panels aren't. Mine were rusted, I cleaned 'em up and repaited 'em.

dellwas

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
YOU DO need perforation, at least based on this from VW Canada. Now, it may refer to current models but it is there in black and white.

http://www.vw.ca/ca/en_ca/metacontent/rechtliches.metanav.html

Fyrman said:

dellwas

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
What part don't you get :mad:

You stated that holes don't have to be present. The warranty is specific in that it states that holes have to be present. I don't give a rat's a** if the dealer doesn't chose to follow it, or the manufacturer does either, for that matter. I was simply pointing out what is in a legal document that was produced by the manufacturer. BTW, the same verbiage is in my warranty book for a 2003 model.

Fyrman said:
George.. what part of "there were no friggen holes in my fenders and they replaced them anyway" don't you get??!! :confused:

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Like I said though, the fenders were a known problem. Perhaps they did not require perforation to be considered for warranty replacement.

dellwas

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
No, not so in my case, at least. They replaced one fender because it had holes, the other was not covered because it wasn't perforated. They replaced the hatchback when I didn't even bring it up, and all you could see was slight rust "stain" on the surface. Like Jeff says, it does seem to be selective, and hit and miss, I might add. As for the other fender, told them I'd be back when it did rust through, and they were okay with that....

NB_TDi said:
Like I said though, the fenders were a known problem. Perhaps they did not require perforation to be considered for warranty replacement.

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
Knowing how the dealerships deal with all other services, why would warranty on corrosion be any different....(hit and miss)....

TB jobs...hit and miss
oil changes....hit and miss
...:rolleyes:

dellwas

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Ah, but they have to supply documentation to VW. So in my case, they required holes, in Jeff's they didn't. I'm of course making assumptions here, that is documentation was supplied to VW in both cases. If, so it appears that the dealerships AND VW are hit and miss, quite odd given they are explicit about holes in the warranty!

cleaver said:
Knowing how the dealerships deal with all other services, why would warranty on corrosion be any different....(hit and miss)....

TB jobs...hit and miss
oil changes....hit and miss
...:rolleyes:

IT_LBS2

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf Wagon TDI
I worked for Steele VW in parts and I seen alot of fenders roll through there. I never seen one that actually had a hole. All they were looking for was the paint bubbling and a sign of rust.
VW has become very strict with their warranty the past year. They were calling back alot of stuff. Mostly mounts and bushings. I only seen the odd fender get called back.

TrevorB

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 TDI Sport
I have some very nasty rust bubbles on one front fender on my 04 TDI, the otherside is starting to bubble on the part of the fender that faces the tire - hopefully I can get them both replaced. The one bad side wasn't too noticable in the fall but this winter she rusted like crazy! Guess I'll have to vist Valley VW and see what they say. At least the guy in the body shop there knows his stuff!!!

dellwas

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Don't know what to tell you. All I know is that Barry, Service Manager at Hillcrest said one would be replaced because it was perforated, the other wouldn't because it wasn't. Said to bring it back when the other was :)
For what it's worth mine was done in June of last year.

IT_LBS2 said:
I worked for Steele VW in parts and I seen alot of fenders roll through there. I never seen one that actually had a hole. All they were looking for was the paint bubbling and a sign of rust.
VW has become very strict with their warranty the past year. They were calling back alot of stuff. Mostly mounts and bushings. I only seen the odd fender get called back.

DaveWhiting

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta
Now, does this refer to any perforation, or only on fenders? I've had the following appear on my back passenger side window

I can see this becoming quite the problem if I don't do something about it soon.

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Mine is doing that. I already sanded and painted it with rust paint. Came back 2 years later.

I'll try again this year with some sealer I guess.