What is your opinion of your jetta sportwagen?

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Heard they cheaped out on the mark 6... What do you think?

Would you buy yours all over again? ( notwithstanding the "scandal")

How is the quality?

Durability?

Reliability?

Thanks!!!

Peter

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It was the mk6 jetta that was heavily decontented, not the golf or jsw. I think the mk6 golf and jsw are great cars.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
peterdaniel;5312940 Would you buy yours all over again? ( notwithstanding the "scandal") How is the quality? Durability? Reliability? Thanks!!! Peter[/QUOTE said:
I've driven just under 50k and had a couple of small glitches repaired under the factory warranty.

The car never failed to start/run/stop. I agree with CU's reliability report (good)

The quality (fit-finish-paint-Vtex-clutch-shifter-brakes-steering) suits me fine.

I waffle over the sell/fix choice. I like the car (plus I've over a year to act).

No complaints from this sailor.

ez

Last edited:

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
i guess so many people sold theirs back there isnt enough of you to really answer me... lol

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
I own the 2011 JSW TDI since day one with 2 mile on the clock. Now she has almost 260k trouble free miles. She is the best car I ever had. Only one glow plug went bad. Brakes done at 233k miles and shocks. DPF and EGR delete was the best thing I ever done. But you being in CA, better check CA laws about emission testing for diesels. When I lived there from birth to 20 years old in 2000, no diesel emission testing as far as I can remember.

She is the most reliable car I ever had. I never will sell her back to the VW.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
I thought that our 2011 JSW TDI was a fantastic car. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. I regret not owning one.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
I convinced the girlfriend to buy a GSW and we are both ecstatic with the results. We put on at least 5k km per month and the car has been rock solid, even pulling duty as a farm vehicle by hauling 500 lbs of grain three times a week. We're keeping it and intend to see how many kms we can accumulate over the next decade.

viper550

TDI
14 JSW 6M, 15 Q5 TDI S-Line
I absolutely love mine. 2014 JSW 6M.
Bought it in Oct of 15 with 8400mi on it. Now it hhas almost 55k on it. I have wanted one of these since they came out in 09 and when they updated the front end in 10 I really wanted one. So I will absolutely NOT sell it back. VW, the government, or anybody would have to pry the keys and title from my Cold DEAD fingers to get me to part with this car. :)

viper550

TDI
Oh. I forgot to mention that I love the fact that the lowest fuel economy I have ever averaged is 42mpg and usually get 46-50mpg :D

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
This is amazingly awesome! Thanks
For your responses!

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen ~118K
We've had our 10 JSW 6MT since Mar '15, and have put 25K on since then, including a long 2500 mile trip

Repairs costs so far: Tires/ Suspension 1.6k Ignition Switch replaced: 600, Brakes all around, and adjustment of the parking brake.

That being said its a great car to drive, and fits our 4 person family well. I'm happy with its drive-ability and I plan on keeping her for many years to come.

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Had ours since new in 2010. Will be sad to see the empty spot in the driveway but get $18.5 (only $10 k less than we paid) from VW after 7yrs and 196k km is a no brainer. We bought a 2016 Outback and it does everything we need in the mountains but it brings a tear to my eye dipping the gas nozzle in.

Racerman27410

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 6MT
Purchased my JSW brand new in 2012....

It has been reliable , gets fantastic fuel mileage compared to anything else available from any manufacturer , feels solid, well built and for some icing on the cake ....its fun to drive.

90K miles and the only issue i've had was with the led blinker that's built into the passenger side mirror.

i will never sell it.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
I kept mine becauae what VW offers is far too small as my company pays me .535 cent per mile and I average drive the car 40k miles a year and she is paid off. You can do the math.....

ricks

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 Jetta Sportwagen
Really love my 2010 with 60,000. I haul 8' 2X4s, my dog, my racing bike, sacks of everything and when empty, haul @$$ through the corners in a great road car. 34 combined and 50 mpg highway ain't bad either.

Issues so far, had to reconnect and silicone the 4 sunroof drains and the radio died. That's it. Upgraded to HD radio, so it was not much of a loss.

Upgraded the headlight bulbs, and have LED brake and awesome backup lights. I would buy another in a heart beat.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh. I forgot to mention that I love the fact that the lowest fuel economy I have ever averaged is 42mpg and usually get 46-50mpg :D
........that is a decent fuel economy range.

Highway? Speed? Transmission?

all the best,

ez

viper550

TDI
........that is a decent fuel economy range.
Highway? Speed? Transmission?
all the best,
ez
42mpg was winter time with temps below 0.
A lot of my driving (roughly 65%) is two lane country roads driving between 62-65mph, another 25% is city stop and go, and 10% highway between 75-85mph. Most of it depends on how much my right foot is enjoying the power. I only go by hand calculated average and I fill the tank to the rim every time. My consistent average is Summer 46.5mpg (when I'm driving somewhat spirited:D) to 48mpg (when I'm being somewhat of a responsible adult:( ).
Usually in the winter my average is consistent at 44-45mpg with snow tires (michelin x ice xi3 in 205/55/16). In summer I use Continental Pure contact (205/55/16) so much better than the junk stock bridgestones especially dry and wet traction.
One time I averaged 50.7mpg that was 98% 60-65mph.
I have a 6-speed manual trans.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
Im on my second 2011 jsw, first died in a bad merge, but another fella bought it, fixed it up and is driving it happily, had my run of the mill issues with the new one, intercooler icing, but after I drilled a weep hole that seems fine, wore out an intake manifold flap, but with the $60 stop from diesel geek one screwdriver and 15 minutes later that was fixed.

Really the only thing I would change beyond still owning my first (fully tuned and deleated) JSW, I would not have a sunroof in the new one, it messed up on me and since getting it closed I do not use it, nice, but a liability in my opinion.

I recommend getting the nicest 2014 JSW you can afford and throw as many of 2 microns fixes at it as you can!

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
Im on my second JSW......... I would not have a sunroof in the new one, it messed up on me and since getting it closed I do not use it, nice, but a liability in my opinion.
This! (Bold Face)

ez

Uzwil

TDI
2010 JSW TDI & 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI
Purchased 2010 JSW 6M in May 2010, new. I love the car but have had hydro lock issues due to well known intercooler problem. EGR and DPF delete coupled with Malone 2 tune solved that problem and made it much more fun to drive! Recently replaced clutch and DMF. The TDI's eat DMF...probably cannot expect much more than 200k miles out of a DMF. I currently have 175,000 miles and do not plan on selling it back to VW.

skromfols

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Jaguar XE TDI, 2014 Sportwagen TDI
I love my 2014 JSW. I have the 6 sp manual and it's great fun to drive up here on two lane twisty roads, and will sit at 80 MPH all day long on the freeway. In 3 years I've put 75,000 miles on it, mostly rural, but some trips (2 trips to the Baja) and frequently towing a trailer with one of my motorcycles or my ATV (about 1,000 lbs). When I had the oil and filter changed at 70,000 I had them check the brake pads and they said about 70% were left. I've had one set of tires put on and these are still looking good. I have had absolutely nothing go wrong, and VW is going to pay me to keep the car. How great is that????

LaTuFu

TDI
2010 JSW, 2005 Passat Wagon BHW
Hands down my favorite VW as a daily driver, and I've owned 10 of them over the last 30 years.

It currently has 125k on it, has the manual trans that I love, is the perfect balance of MPG and performance, and I love driving it.

The only knock I have on it is the pano roof. Its been the only trouble part of the car. It has leaked twice, despite following the factory maintenance recommendations, and had to have the crappy drain tube design replaced by their updated fix.

I'm in the "no mans land" of the buyback, and really torn about what to do. The $5k payout to fix roughly makes it the same value as selling the car back. I'm not coming out ahead by selling it back though, because there's nothing out there for $15k that is going to give me the same balance of driving and MPG--with SUV cargo room--that this car does. I'm content to keep it, get the fix done, and have some minor repairs/routine maintenance items done to it. But my wife really wants to sell it back and get something else. The sunroof leaks have really soured her on this car, and she just sees the car as transport only.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
In the same boat here, even though my car is a bit newer: I really like my 2012 JSW. No sunroof, so nothing to leak. The $20k VW is offering would buy a used 2015 TDI GSW, but I'm not sure it's really an upgrade compared to my 2012 JSW. Plus, a used car is always a step down.

jesssssser

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen ~118K
Purchased 2010 JSW 6M in May 2010, new. I love the car but have had hydro lock issues due to well known intercooler problem. EGR and DPF delete coupled with Malone 2 tune solved that problem and made it much more fun to drive! Recently replaced clutch and DMF. The TDI's eat DMF...probably cannot expect much more than 200k miles out of a DMF. I currently have 175,000 miles and do not plan on selling it back to VW.

You replaced the OEM clutch at 175000? I just trying to get a guess on when mine is going to go. I understand many different factors go into when a clutch goes.

Can you explain a bit on the DMF thing? I'm not familiar.

Thanks!!

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
Diesl;5317467[B said:
]In the same boat here, even though my car is a bit newer: I really like my 2012 JSW. No sunroof, so nothing to leak. [/B]The $20k VW is offering would buy a used 2015 TDI GSW, but I'm not sure it's really an upgrade compared to my 2012 JSW. Plus, a used car is always a step down.
Another "same boat" sailor here. No pano, no DSG, - - - and no complaints (at just under 50k).....................

I've accepted the circa $25k that VW/Bosch have offered.

A 2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M is right at $15,000 around here now..........and Fuelly.com is showing impressive MPG numbers - - - - - for a non-diesel!!

Like others here, I shall miss the torque, the cavernous interior (and the V-tex).

Also, this useful - REALLY useful - site.................

I shall not miss HPFP/DPF issues.......................

ez

Last edited:

Early8Q

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 3 pedal
Currently driving a 2012 with 94k miles. I really enjoy this car and its going to be torture turning it in at some point in the coming year. I enjoy the driving dynamics, the load capacity, the range and the mileage.