Strange hesitation issue when cold

AndreiMTM

TDI
2014 A6 TDI
Hello everyone, I’m experiencing a strange issue on my 14 a6 TDI(64k miles) only when cold. Once everything is warmed up the car operates as normal.

When cold and under 2k RPM(between 1,200 and 2k) it seems like the car hesitates or “bogs” when moving. It’s not an acceleration issue, it does it when simply cruising. If I accelerate hard, the car will pick up with no issues. Once the car is fully warmed up it is completely gone and the car drives perfectly.

Has anyone experience this before and found a fix?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

AndreiMTM

TDI
2014 A6 TDI
After doing some more research, could this be something to do with the EGR? I recently bought the car and I know the previous owner didn’t take it to the dealer for maintenance after the fix; perhaps it missed an update where it’s causing it to behave strangely. If anyone has any ideas let me know! I will also report back if I find the problem

Sand Bag

TDI
'06 Silver Jetta TDI manual & '11 Audi Q7 S-Line V6 TDI
My wife's 2011 Audi Q7 is experiencing the same thing. She mentioned it to me earlier and I experienced it yesterday. Vehicle seems to hesitate/chug under idle / very light throttle. When over 2,000 rpm it responds fine. I do not have a CEL / MIL light either so I'm a bit concerned.

AndreiMTM

TDI
2014 A6 TDI
My wife's 2011 Audi Q7 is experiencing the same thing. She mentioned it to me earlier and I experienced it yesterday. Vehicle seems to hesitate/chug under idle / very light throttle. When over 2,000 rpm it responds fine. I do not have a CEL / MIL light either so I'm a bit concerned.

I also don’t have any lights on the dash or any codes. I will be taking it in for an oil change soon and will bring it up then to see if they can find anything.

Also, if you come across a solution in the mean time let me know!

AndreiMTM

TDI
2014 A6 TDI
A little update: took the engine cover off and noticed that one of the injectors seem to be leaking. Will be calling Audi today to schedule and appointment and will report back

iwannajettatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Brilliant Black Audi Q5 3.0TDI, 2014 Tempest Blue metallic Jetta Sportwagen TDI, 2002 Blue Eurovan Weekender BHW TDI
I was having a similar issue with my 2011 golf. My wife has noticed it a few times with her 2014 JSW. Just got the Q5 this week (w00000!!1!), so I havent had it happen there yet. But I'll definitely be on the watch for it. Never had it happen before our 2.0 fix. Kind of makes me wonder how many more issues will pop up with more miles/time. Really makes the delete sound better, but hpfp is pricey, and I like protecting the environment. It would be nice if there was a better middle ground.

AndreiMTM

TDI
2014 A6 TDI
I was having a similar issue with my 2011 golf. My wife has noticed it a few times with her 2014 JSW. Just got the Q5 this week (w00000!!1!), so I havent had it happen there yet. But I'll definitely be on the watch for it. Never had it happen before our 2.0 fix. Kind of makes me wonder how many more issues will pop up with more miles/time. Really makes the delete sound better, but hpfp is pricey, and I like protecting the environment. It would be nice if there was a better middle ground.

Congrats on the new Q5! I’m sure you’ll love it as much as I love my a6, best car in my eyes and I love the 3.0 TDI. Yes a delete sounds great but I’ll definitely be waiting until the warranty is up. Also, to add to your point about protecting the environment, after I had the new fix done this week wher they replace the DPF, my good friend showed me how well it actually works. One side was completely black, while the other side was completely clean.

A little update: I had the new recall done this week, where they replace DPF, oxygen sensor, and reprogram the computer. The DPF wasn’t clogged but it seems like the issue went away with the new update. Still not sure what the issue was, but I’ve been driving it for 3 days and haven’t noticed anything yet. Also, the injector wasn’t leaking. If it returns I will follow up with the post

AndreiMTM

TDI
2014 A6 TDI
Just wanted to provide an update in case anyone runs into this issue.

The recall did not fix the issue as I had originally though.

However, for the past three fill ups, I’ve been using stanadyne fuel additive with every tank. First tank I did not feel a difference at all, but by the second tank the hesitation is 99.5% gone. I very rarely feel it and when I do it’s almost not noticeable. It’s been over a month since I’ve started using stanadyne and about a month since the hesitation has disappeared. Not sure if any other fuel additive will help but this one did it for me