Another Emissions Recall to correct what was done first.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Owain,

I meant to ask. I have the stage 2 tune... I pulled it while I wait for the fix. Once I get the fix and the new factory tune. I assume I just send it to you guys after a bit... is there a fee for the update? Also have you noticed any difference in performance on your end pre and post new fix?

Thanks

bahiaeternal

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi A7 TDI
Can you let us know if it's the same after a couple hundred miles... they have to retune the computer... so all your readiness monitors may not be "ready" not sure on these cars but every other car I've owned hasnt had the same pickup and etc... until then... also curious about your first regen if there is any wierd smell or etc...
Thanks!!
will do.

AndreiMTM

TDI
2014 A6 TDI
Anyone get this recall completed yet? I have an appointment next week for the recall and another issue.

Also, curious if they provided a loaner while the fix was done?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beeej259

TDI
2015 Q5
Very curious to hear other feedback on this. I’m at 90k miles and wouldn’t mind getting a new DPF!

delmd92

TDI
2014 A6, 2014 Q5
Mine was done yesterday so have about 100 miles on it. No difference. "New part" smell when I got home yesterday but that is to be expected. No regens yet. My DPF was pretty buggered as I had regens every other day for the last 2 months and threw codes regularly. ECU software updated, haven't noticed anything with that either.

mswanson65

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI, 2007 Chevy 2500HD Durmax
Had the 23Z8 emissions recall done to my 2015 Q5 TDI with 75K miles yesterday. So far so good. It actually seems to lag less now. Dealer provided an A5 loaner which got suprisingly good mileage, equal or slightly better than the TDI. Will report back if any problems arise.

2014AUDIA6TDI

TDI
AUDI A6 TDI 2014
Emissions Service Action 23Z8 - AUDI sending 1 part per week

I received the same 23Z8 Emissions Service Action letter from AUDI in July. I went to the dealership twice, they do not have the right part to complete the actions.
I contacted AUDI 2 months later through CHAT.
Their official response is:
"I regret to hear that you have not been able to receive the repair. It was brought to my attention that 1 part is allocated to the dealership per week."
I pushed this issue further, and they responded:
"there is only one part per week allocated to our Audi dealerships. We are not able to expedite parts from Germany".
In the meanwhile, the Check Engine Light is on again. This is the fourth time in the last 18 months, since they reprogrammed the engine to complete the original emission "repair" :mad:.
Since then, the engine is sputtering with significant power loss when cold and driven at 25 miles per hour. Very disappointing for an AUDI.
At the speed of 1 part week shipped to dealer and possibly 500 vehicles in the backlog, they might fix it in 10 years!
Did anybody receive the same feedback?
What is AUDI USA doing about this?
Any thought or feedback to resolve the situation?

Last edited:

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Mine is scheduled for 10/5 in in my 2015 q5 tdi... I have 54k miles on it and will let you guys know about any differences when it happens.

2014 A6

TDI
2014 Audi A6 3.0
I have been in the queue at my dealership for 6 weeks now. My CEL has been on now for over a year. My dealership said one per week is what they are being told on parts as well but they admitted they have been receiving one part every two weeks. They told me I’m 5 in the queue and to call back in late November if I haven’t heard from them by then.

AndreiMTM

TDI
2014 A6 TDI
That’s crazy to hear all of the stories about parts not being available. I made an appointment for the recall a 3 days prior and they had the parts in stock without needing to order, and my friend/technician told me that they’ve had parts for a while now. Maybe there aren’t as many TDI’s in my area but it didn’t seem at all like there was a shortage of parts

Gumbus1514

TDI
2014 Q5
My 2014 Q5 is at the dealer and will be done in the morning. I got my notice before they knew about it but then the parts were available the next day. Had a trip to the Keys with the ACFL group the following weekend so I put it off. Will let you all know what I think post fix.

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey guys,

Just got my 2015 Q5 tdi( 54,100 miles ) back from the new fix. I gotta say absolutely no lost power, if anything might have gained a few. I def notice less turbo lag. I am going to have my other half drive it back and forth to work this week and we have a 150 mile each direction trip on saturday. I'll keep you posted. I could be crazy but the new DPF i feel like looks a ton different. I am kicking myself for not taking pictures, but being tall i can see right now into the spot where it is.

They gave me a 2019 a4 allroad as a loaner, and i gotta say i wasn't impressed w/ the performance and how much the vehicle body rolled even in full dynamic / sport mode. I returned it as a loaner, got back in my Q, and was like damn, i can't believe how much tighter this feels during normal driving / cornering, and the power / fuel economy. No FOMO here...

AJM

TDI
A6
Keep posting your post fix results as this seems to be good news. I’m waiting patiently for my appointment at the end of the month. I’m enjoying my A6 as it doesn’t make me miss my Passat.

Midwesthick

Veteran Member
TDI
A3, GSW, 02-Golf
After reading a few responses I decided to call my Audi dealership to see when my parts will arrive for both TDI's. They told me late November is when I can get the news parts so I definitely have time to read everyones experiences.

Im sure there is no difference except a shiny new DPF.

Beeej259

TDI
2015 Q5
Dropping my Q5 off this morning. Dealership says it’ll be done by tomorrow. I’ll take some before and after pics and post once done.

Beeej259

TDI
2015 Q5
Got to dealership and they don’t have my appointment in the system. And this month’s allotment of parts for 23Z8 are already accounted for. Super annoying

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
I say milk this one for as long as possible if you do not have a CEL and any DPF issues.

Beeej259

TDI
2015 Q5
After reading about the positive results from others getting the 23Z8 fix, actually looking forward to getting this done. I've had the first "fix" done; what benefit is there to wait for this one?

viper550

TDI
14 JSW 6M, 15 Q5 TDI S-Line
Double check parts availability.

Just a heads up to anyone who has an appointment to get 23Z8 (AEM-C) performed. Call to make sure there are parts available. I had set up an appointment online and did not get a confirmation email. So I just called the dealer to double check and he told me I was all set, and when I mentioned about hearing about issues with parts availability he checked and told me no parts available.
When I spoke to parts department I was told they get 1 set of parts per week and right now waitlist is 8-10weeks long.

Please everybody call and double check. I would have wasted a 60mile one way trip to be told oops we don't have parts.

Beeej259

TDI
2015 Q5
Just a heads up to anyone who has an appointment to get 23Z8 (AEM-C) performed. Call to make sure there are parts available. I had set up an appointment online and did not get a confirmation email. So I just called the dealer to double check and he told me I was all set, and when I mentioned about hearing about issues with parts availability he checked and told me no parts available.
When I spoke to parts department I was told they get 1 set of parts per week and right now waitlist is 8-10weeks long.

Please everybody call and double check. I would have wasted a 60mile one way trip to be told oops we don't have parts.
+1 Literally happened to me this morning.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After reading about the positive results from others getting the 23Z8 fix, actually looking forward to getting this done. I've had the first "fix" done; what benefit is there to wait for this one?
Longevity of new DPF, the longer you wait, the longer the new one will last. Providing you plan to keep the car long term it may be worth waiting if your current DPF is working fine.
I also wonder what warranty they will offer after replacement?

AndreiMTM

TDI
2014 A6 TDI
Longevity of new DPF, the longer you wait, the longer the new one will last. Providing you plan to keep the car long term it may be worth waiting if your current DPF is working fine.

I also wonder what warranty they will offer after replacement?

I’m sure that it will still fall under the emissions warranty

Burnt

TDI
A7
I've had this issue before this recall, but does anyone smell exhaust when driving? I've driven in the middle of the night with no other cars around and smell diesel exhaust in the cabin. It is more noticeable when the car is about to do a regen.

The issue still persists with the new DPF.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've had this issue before this recall, but does anyone smell exhaust when driving? I've driven in the middle of the night with no other cars around and smell diesel exhaust in the cabin. It is more noticeable when the car is about to do a regen.
The issue still persists with the new DPF.
I have this issue on the Touareg since the recall, only on cold days until the engine warms up. I cannot find any evidence of exhaust leak but is smells fairly strong.

viper550

TDI
14 JSW 6M, 15 Q5 TDI S-Line
I got my correction performed on my Q5 on 10/30. It took them 3 days because there was a sensor that they thought they had in stock but didn't.
A week later I took a 900+ mile trip to visit family. When I got to my family's house and was unloading I smelled fuel. When I opened the hood I could see where fuel had sprayed on the air box and engine cover and radiator. I called audi roadside and had it towed to nearest dealership. It took 2 days before it could get looked at. End of yesterday I find out the HPFP went out :eek: and dealer says that's where leak came from. However they said it is completely covered by the Extended Emissions Warranty. So now it's just waiting for parts and getting it fixed. :(

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
Working great on my vehicle 6k miles later. I felt so comfortable with it, i even installed a new exhaust, a darkside intercooler, and malone stage 2 over the aem-c ecu changes. Running like a champ. Awesome. ( I have the full alphabet soup still ).