Throwing a big turbo on my BRM

BRMTDI

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI BRM PD140 Turbo, PD150 Injectors RC2+
Going with a GTB2260vk, need opinions on what is needed to get the motor to handle the power.

Rods, Pistons, Head Work, which rods are recommended, which pistons etc?

Stutgart

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Bigger exhaust system appropriate to the GTB2260vk exhaust volute. 2,5 inch?
Carrillo Pro A Beam rods, the absolute best! or Rostens!
ARL VW euro pistons.

All that and head work by an experienced, successful tuner...Hmm...I'm thinking..

Headers? Right! Otherwise all is for naught.

Bigger intercooler...and other intake mods. Is a hole in the hood OK?

I'm dreamin. :)

Not a DSG, Right? Tricked out and lightened VR6 flywheel with a Stage II clutch from?

I see wheels! What color is you car?

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
it all depends how much boost you run - I ran a 2260 on my BEW but didn't do the bottom end - Ran very well, but I kept the boost limited.

If the car is a daily driver, I'd suggest either a 17 or 20 series - the 22 goes like stink, but has some lag

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Changing only the turbo, your power will remain basically the same. You have to increase fueling as well in order to make more power.

IOW, you need a tune, too.

Bill

BRMTDI

TDI
My current setup is a PD140 Turbo, PD150 injectors, 3 inch downpipe, 3 inch exhuast straight through after that, GQA Euro 5 Speed Trans, longer gear ratio's, south bend stage 2+ clutch I think its called, Peloquin LSD..I dyno'd at 180whp and 334wtq on a dyna dynamics, think I posted up the results a little while back.

GTB2260VKLR is the next stage of my build, figure turbo being ball bearing and I plan to go with a AWIC setup, will be removing my battery from the front and running a AWIC in its place, figure really short piping should help with any boost lag I might have hopefully.

So as far as the motor goes I need.

1. Carrillo Pro A Beam rods the absolute best! or Rostens!
2. ARL VW euro pistons.
3. All that and head work by an experienced, successful tuner...Hmm...I'm thinking..(If you have any ideas keep me posted on this)

Last edited:

BRMTDI

TDI
If you guys tend to be familiar with Carillo Rods, which one do I need to go with, option 1 or 2, anyone know the difference or have experience with each?

1. Pro-A Beam Rods: The A-beam rod is a light weight rod that is designed for high revving motors. It can hold moderate horsepower numbers and is the rod of choice for most street cars looking to push more power than the stock internals can handle, they are rated for up to 650whp.

2. Pro-Super A Beam Rods: Carrillos's Pro-Super A beam (Pro-SA) rods are lighter than the traditional H-beam style rod, yet still unbelievably strong. Pro-Super A beam rods bridge the gap between Pro-H and standard Pro-A rods, designed for use in mid to high horsepower and high boost turbocharged and supercharged applications. Pro-Super A beam rods allow for more horsepower and higher RPMs with the advantage of a reduced windage design. Pro-Super A beam rods for the STI ship with standard 3/8th inch WMC cap bolts and are rated to 800whp, they are great for cars that see both street and race driving.

Stutgart

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Honestly, I only recognize the superior design of the rods by the written specification, never bought a set. But if the pro A Beam handles 650 whp, that ought to work, right?

Post some pics of the beast.

BRMTDI

TDI
Parts are still coming in, but I will be sure to keep up a nice post with pics and dyno logs, should be a fun expensive build :)