Osram LEDriving headlights - bulb replacement & warranty

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
So the fine print in the Osram LEDriving installation manual says they are a product "without an exchangeable light source" which I assume means, what, that the bulbs and/or drivers are either not end-user replaceable or that they are proprietary parts and only available to their warranty centers? The fine print also states "Do not open product".

Also, the 2-year warranty appears to be invalid in the U.S and Canada since the Osram website states that these are not to be sold here in the first place and that the warranty is only valid in countries which have a warranty center, which we don't according to the website.

Any insight into any of this?

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
So the fine print in the Osram LEDriving installation manual says they are a product "without an exchangeable light source" which I assume means, what, that the bulbs and/or drivers are either not end-user replaceable or that they are proprietary parts and only available to their warranty centers? The fine print also states "Do not open product".

Also, the 2-year warranty appears to be invalid in the U.S and Canada since the Osram website states that these are not to be sold here in the first place and that the warranty is only valid in countries which have a warranty center, which we don't according to the website.

Any insight into any of this?

I am fairly certain the Osram headlights are led. So no bulb to replace. Also, leds to be effective in a projector housing require the entire projector unit to be replaced from what I understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
From your own words it sounds like you bought a product not intended for sales or use in the US and as such has no warranty. Your fix is to buy new and replace or substitute something else that is covered here. Sounds like you already have a good grasp on your situation. Have you actually contacted Osram to see if there is anything they would be willing to do to help you? At this point it seems that some goodwill from them may be your only replacement solution for this existing set.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Are you having issues with the headlights already? Or is this more of an academic exercise - like, “what are my options or recourse if something should happen with them in the future”?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
link to where you're looking at?

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are you having issues with the headlights already? Or is this more of an academic exercise - like, “what are my options or recourse if something should happen with them in the future”?
No problems and, judging by the apparent quality of what you can see without opening them up, I don't expect any. But I still have a halogen mindset and think at some point at least the bulbs and maybe drivers will need to be changed. But maybe they won't, or if they do, maybe they are conventionally replaceable and parts availability is not an issue. It would be a shame to have to replace the whole assembly.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Last edited:

remzac

TDI
2015 GOlf TDI Trendline
This is interesting as they say the lighting is not for left hand drive vehicles. Beautiful lighting BTW

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
color temp of 6500K is a hard no from me, eeeeewwwwww!!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
color temp of 6500K is a hard no from me, eeeeewwwwww!!
Yeah - how can that be of any use on wet roads? My bike light is around 6000K and while it's great when the roads are dry, once it's wet out, it's feels about as powerful as if I was riding and holding a pen-light in my mouth.

(Try setting your monitor's native white point at 6500K - it's really not good.)

Last edited:

jverheul

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI SEL
I've had a set of these over a month now. My history includes an A3 with Bi-xenon, and MK2 VWs with Euro Hellas, relay kits, driving lights, and high watt bulbs. I also worked for tactical lighting company.

In my perception, what these give up in color temperature, they more than make up for with lumens, a very uniform beam pattern, and a very sharp cut off. My fogs are lower color temperature though.