W8/Auto to TDI/6spd Discussion

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Looking into the fall months, I'll be converting one of my W8 Wagons (auto) over to TDI 6 speed manual. I've started to collect the parts already, I believe I have everything now except a propshaft. I've come across a driveshaft spacer targeted at Allroad M/T swaps here:

http://audis4parts.com/audi-a6-tip-...udi-a6-allroad-manual-swap-driveshaft-spacer/

In theory it should be the same distance I need to take up in my swap. Any thoughts on this?

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
Most interesting. I wonder if it will work.. I was planning on getting a propshaft from frans but may go this route.

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 passat tdi 6spd stage2 webasto TC3 , 04 passatW8 6 spd, 10 Jetta TDI 6spd stage 1
Cool, looking to do the same this winter, mine already manual and looking to swap the frr code trans with a ftf trans. Not sure if there are differences, think it would be straight swap. What code or ratio are you planning?

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
The gearbox is a GLX from a 2003 2.5 TDI. The ratios are as follows:

1st is 3.75
2nd is 2.05
3rd 1.32
4rd 1.07
5th is 0.71
6th is 0.56
Final: 3.89 (to match W8 Auto rear diff)

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
4:11 is Considered a better towing range ratio by many USA based diesel/gaser truck/suv manufactures but it means more rpm/less mpg at freeway speeds

The goal for the bhw in the passat is sub 3000 rpms at 80mph.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Code is GLX. I only considered the 3.89 since I have 4 W8's here with that ratio! 4.11 is probably better for towing, but that's probably less than 1% of my driving. Lots more 4.11 boxes available than 3.89.

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 passat tdi 6spd stage2 webasto TC3 , 04 passatW8 6 spd, 10 Jetta TDI 6spd stage 1
Code is GLX. I only considered the 3.89 since I have 4 W8's here with that ratio! 4.11 is probably better for towing, but that's probably less than 1% of my driving. Lots more 4.11 boxes available than 3.89.
I think there were some 5 speed 4 motion's with the 3.89 rear diff

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
manual 5 speed 4wd GGH has 35/9 gears, actually all of these do,
35/9
Model data: EFC,EYH,DYE,GGK,GGN,GGH all used in passats, not sure engine model
Should be able to use on of those rear diffs to match to glx right? or am i blowing smoke here?

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Don't get hung up on the propshaft too much - I know a couple places in Mississauga who can fabricate / lengthen / shorten as needed - do it all the time on the heavy truck side of things.

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
the ftf will turn about 1918 rpm at 62 and the glx about 1815 rpm, either way they are getting down there, will the BHW get better on mileage the lower you go?

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
In your opinion would the 100rpm lower with my 6 speed require too much down gearing to 5th with the stock turbo?

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Thanks for your input. I have a brand new 240mm DMF and Sachs SRE clutch kit. They were purchased for the last 01E setup, but never installed.

blazen71

Veteran Member
TDI
All Gone
I used one on my Allroad tip to 6-speed swap. They work fine but I would recommend the Advanced Automotion one instead. It has the center relief machined for CV clearance. The one you posted doesn't have it and it will rub. I had to take mine off and machine the relief. Also, it has larger holes in the thin flange end for the screws to pass through. Those allow the grease to get out and will end up running dry and you'll have to replace the cv. I ended up filling those holes with RTV after installation.
https://advancedautomotion.com/shop...ucts_id/352/osCsid/97i45ue58mr8i5n3gqsskrk1i2

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
The W8 uses a transmission bell housing that is significantly deeper than any other 01E. W8 clutch and flywheel clearance issues will result with a different 01E transmission.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
That's ok for me, I'm not using a W8 gearbox. I have a proper TDI geared unit with spacer.

On another note, it might be time to do the swap. The W8 took it's first ride of shame home tonight on a tow truck. The alternator died but the light never came on.

zipdoa

TDI
1HDT
The W8 uses a transmission bell housing that is significantly deeper than any other 01E. W8 clutch and flywheel clearance issues will result with a different 01E transmission.
Yes - we learned this the hard way :)

Do you know what the ratios are for the W8 01E? Are they same as the EEY/FRP C5 S6?