Error: Adblue Engine will not start in 600mi.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
Hi Guys! It's been BITTER cold here the last week or so and I finally had to replace the battery (big battery I swapped into my MY15 GSW from my 09 Jetta TDI when I sold back to VW) in my wagon.

After changing the battery, my wife (who drives the wagon full time now) sends me a pick of the adblue warning. Now I KNOW there is no way it's low enough to trigger because I just changed oil in November, filled all the way up (3gal of urea) and it's not even been driving more than 2k since. Oh, and not leaks up front at the injectors or anywhere else that I can see.

I called dealer and they mentioned there was a TSB, specific to this error message and that my car hadn't received the update to take care of it. I immediately thought maybe the heater or sensor was bad (known issue and now under extended warranty coverage) but they made it sound like a quick update.

Do any of you know what the TSB is? Maybe it's actually the heater recall and it's quick to replace, but I figured I'd ask in here and see if you guys knew anything about it.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
There is an old TSB that may or may not be related: https://www.myturbodiesel.com/threads/adblue-level-tsb.1323/

Basically, it's just recalibrating the level sensor to be correct.

If you have a dealer that you trust, just go. It's emissions equipment and under warranty regardless.
Thanks for that! I actually wonder if my terribly low, dieing, dead battery is the reason not even happened. I had a BUNCH of weird little errors saved when I scanned with VCDS but I cleared those yesterday. I did make the appointment at dealership because I trust them on stuff that are covered but will keep eye on errors (aka, tell wife to tell me if any messages pop up) and will go from there.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Be sure there's no leakage at the DEF injector above the DPF. Here's a .pdf of the TSB dealing with that issue.
Thanks Nuje, definitely no leak there, that was first place I looked. They did a great job with my fix, no issues to speak of with that. The dealer I use has always been good to me and they do a good job so I'll let them fill and calibrate and send me on my merry way. :)