Which power steering fluid to use

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Has anyone tried the Pentofluid EHF by Pentison? Its listed by NAPA, PN AIC1405115, for $13.49 and it is listed as correct for our cars. A lot less cost than the CH11S, CH202, or the Febi ones.
I bought CHF202 at FCPEuro for $15 dollars so I don't see the point in getting the wrong stuff, off-brand stuff, or questionable stuff, etc.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
still doing fine with the atf
it's a fairly basic vane pump just like every other manufacturer
steering rack valving is all the same no matter who made it

dunno man, viscosity is a little higher but even when it's real cold here it hasn't been whining or anything

Gruni14

TDI
2002 Jetta
I know this is an old thread ...but FWIW, I just called the local VW dealership and they quoted, $26.45/L (plenty in stock). They didn't stock the 389ml size.

Rock Auto is $13.29/L for CHF11s ....but it comes to $41.00 for two containers - shipped (incl their $12.99 shipping + taxes). So if you have other parts to order. Then there'd be enough to exchange the fluid.

Hey, as a total aside, does anyone sell OEM-style molded fuel hoses (by the fuel filter)? (that's probably another thread ...)

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I know this is an old thread ...but FWIW, I just called the local VW dealership and they quoted, $26.45/L (plenty in stock). They didn't stock the 389ml size.

Rock Auto is $13.29/L for CHF11s ....but it comes to $41.00 for two containers - shipped (incl their $12.99 shipping + taxes). So if you have other parts to order. Then there'd be enough to exchange the fluid.

Hey, as a total aside, does anyone sell OEM-style molded fuel hoses (by the fuel filter)? (that's probably another thread ...)
Do you mean this?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
mine's had red ATF in it for a while now

so long as it's thin viscosity and not brake fluid or water, you're fine
Exactly. M1 in my case. I would love to hear from one of the 'The Right Fluid Only' folks about what disqualifies one particular fluid or another. Or for that matter what is it that qualifies The Right Stuff.
cheers,
Douglas

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Well, considering every pump I replaced was either due to the wrong fluid or over tightening the belt (B4/A3), I always recommend using the fluid specified for it. I don’t really care what others do, but I won’t recommend anything else.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Well, considering every pump I replaced was either due to the wrong fluid or over tightening the belt (B4/A3), I always recommend using the fluid specified for it. I don’t really care what others do, but I won’t recommend anything else.
I think just about any fluid will "work" as a hydraulic fluid, but for what little it costs per mile to do the right stuff, it's not where i ever skimped.

My rack lasted 492K miles and the only fluid I ran was the Pentosin CHF11s. It got two flushes over its 19 year life. I don't think the rack owed me another mile.

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf TDI GLS
Is the Triax psf ok? I need to flush and refill my 2001 golf? How much fluid do i need? Thanks!

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
Maybe the O/P can find a shop in his area that has a power flusher that pumps new fluid in while the old fluid goes into a waste container?
The repair shop I use to help had one and the difference between old and new fluid was like new.

mittzlepick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta wagon (365k)2001 wagon tire burner 6spd 2003 wagon(417k)
Pentosin cheap on order. Price is fixed locally at 40 bucks a quart. We get 5l bottle cheep. 20 bucks for the metal can

norbert77

Veteran Member
TDI
01 beetle
I have a duramax diesel van. After the ps cooler line blew I put in recommended fluid but not from dealer. Over months steering slowly got hard I thought the box was gone. One day i remembered the fluid. Being winter I siphoned out fluid and installed ATF+4. Ran it up and down the road then did it again. Over three weeks the powersteering slowly went back to normal. If you have nothing to lose, I'd say try the ATF trick, then get some dealer fluid shipped to you and flush