Need some advice on a brake line issue

bobman

TDI
2006 Jetta
Background

2006 1.9 TDI 350 K miles no rust I've owned the car since new in Georgia Most miles are hwy, car has not been driven for about three months brakes were making noise but seemed to work fine.

I was considering selling the car but decided to keep it and drive it for another 100K miles and do some routine maintenance things prior to using it

Present situation

So this week I replaced all my wheel bearings, rotors and brake pads and noticed both my rear calipers were not able to be screwed back in ( I used the correct tool kit)

I purchased new rear TRW calipers and mounted them and then went to the passenger side and bled the new caliper on that side and it bled fine as expected.

Next I went to the driver side and can't get any brake fluid flow.

I broke the connection to the rubber brake hose and there is no flow and the brake pedal cannot be pressed to the floor even with that metal line open to atmosphere.

So I'm looking for ideas and a probable diagnosis and have three questions

1) Is this likely the metal brake line is just plugged or can it be something else in the system

2) Do VW dealers sell prefabricated lines.

3) the line in my car runs under plate bolted to the bottom of the car when I remove that plate will that give me access to the line. In other words is replacing that line just a matter of pulling those protective plates and installing the new line?

I stupidly have never changed the brake fluid since the car was new, so I undoubtedly brought this on myself, and intend to flush it completely after I get this line functioning

Thanks in advance I really appreciate this forum I've been a reader for years and you guys are great

Im doing this on my back in my driveway with the car on jack stands. I don't have a lift

Last edited:

mr.loops

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 jetta, 2003 Bora 1.8T
I would remove the bleed nipple from the caliper, cover it with a rag, and stomp on the pedal a few times to clear the obstruction.

I would also get under the car and check for any kinked lines.

Try doing the above before replacing parts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
Did you loosen the fitting from the metal line to the rubber hose? It sounds like that's what you did.
If the blockage is in the metal line I would guess it's more likely to be crushed like from a floor jack.

bobman

TDI
2006 Jetta
Yes it’s open to the atmosphere prior to the rubber hose and still doesn’t flow fluid when my wife was pushing hard on the pedal heck it should gravity feed out of the line. When I broke openthe connection between the metal line and the hose a small quantity of fluid came out then nothing.

I’ve been keeping the reservoir on the master cylinder full While I’m chasing this issue

I’ll pull that inspection panel tomorrow trace the line and look for a kink in the line.

I doubt it’s from a jack unless maybe my tire company accidentally hit it but anything is possible

Thanks

Last edited: