Which ALH timing belt DIY guide to follow?

absalom

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Which guide does everyone recommend following these days? I see that myturbodiesel's guide has been removed?

What is everyone's favorite?

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Be aware of the no-no in that procedure. When turning the engine over for the check after everything's tight it says to turn the cam. Should say to use a wrench on the crank, not the cam. Rotating the cam puts tension on the slack side of the belt instead of loading it in the normal running direction.

If you don't believe this is a problem observe how the tensioner gives when you turn the cam and the belt gets some slack between the cam and crank.

Also the timing instructions are incorrect. Says to rotate the the "pump" CCW to advance. Seems to be a leftover from the AHU instructions. Should say to rotate the shaft CW to advance.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I found the myturbodiesel timing belt guide the other day. Apparently they had some problems with their wiki page that are now fixed. You just have to search it’s not easy to find like it was.

Of course there is the great writeup procedure here, linked above.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Yep, I've always used the how-to linked here. Take the tablet out to the garage and take it step by step and hard to go wrong. A few "note to self" items like the cam/crank bolt for turning it over and the confusion over which direction to rotate the IP sprocket to advance/retard timing, but otherwise very well done.

absalom

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Does anyone know why MTD took down all their content?

As a paying member, I'm somewhat peeved ...

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Does anyone know why MTD took down all their content?
As a paying member, I'm somewhat peeved ...

Their content is back up, you just have to search a little harder for it.

hyoomen

TDI
2002 Golf GLS 5-speed; indigo blue; ~180k miles; stock (*WRECKED*). 2002 Jetta 4spd Auto (01M), indigo blue, ~246k mi, stock
re MTD: the creator / original owner of MTD no longer had the time necessary to keep up with the site. As a result, he sold the site to a forum conglomerate, VerticalScope ("with over 800 forum communities"). They migrated the site from its old forum software to their preferred platform, and in the process a lot of content was temporarily mislocated and/or its formatting overhauled (underhauled?).

As mentioned, much of the site's wiki has been 'restored' (see above link), but it is no longer presented in an organized or coherent fashion. Major pity.

Thanks for the advice re the a4timingbelt.pdf mistakes.

Dhawk12

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 ALH 5 spd
I see from the link that parts 1 and 2 of mtb timing belt guide are there, does anyone know where to find part 2? If I remember right part three was members only, so maybe it was lost in the transition.