Timing Chain Tensioner Noise

sbbamafan

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
So I have had timing chain tensioner noise since I got my car with just under 30,000 miles. Dealer told me what it was at 39,000 miles - even though I asked earlier but they did not document it. They say it is normal - which I still don't really believe. I would really like to know a few things such as -
*Is it harmful?
*Will it get worse? It makes that annoying and somewhat embarrassing sound at startup only for a couple of seconds.
*Is it covered by the diesel warranty if something catastrophic happens? I also have extended Audi warranty.
*Is it something that I am obligated to fix myself before something happens on it's own?
*What else should I know about it?

I hate the noise (it just sounds harmful) so I have been reading a bit about how to silence it (other than expensive repairs). I read about Liqui Moly Mos2 and decided to try it. I have to say I am generally very cynical about additives but this one at least sounded like it would not hurt anything. I bought it last night and put it in. I started the car and let it run a few minutes and it seemed quieter - but the real test would be when cold this morning.

This morning I started the car and the noise was totally gone! I am really shocked. I am now curious how long it will last. Has anyone else had similar experience?

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
So I have had timing chain tensioner noise since I got my car with just under 30,000 miles. Dealer told me what it was at 39,000 miles - even though I asked earlier but they did not document it. They say it is normal - which I still don't really believe. I would really like to know a few things such as -

*Is it harmful?

*Will it get worse? It makes that annoying and somewhat embarrassing sound at startup only for a couple of seconds.

*Is it covered by the diesel warranty if something catastrophic happens? I also have extended Audi warranty.

*Is it something that I am obligated to fix myself before something happens on it's own?

*What else should I know about it?

I hate the noise (it just sounds harmful) so I have been reading a bit about how to silence it (other than expensive repairs). I read about Liqui Moly Mos2 and decided to try it. I have to say I am generally very cynical about additives but this one at least sounded like it would not hurt anything. I bought it last night and put it in. I started the car and let it run a few minutes and it seemed quieter - but the real test would be when cold this morning.

This morning I started the car and the noise was totally gone! I am really shocked. I am now curious how long it will last. Has anyone else had similar experience?

I’ve read one other similar report, that stated the noise went away temporarily. You added to the engine oil, yes?

Jozzie

TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
I believe all our cars make that due to oil not being where it should on startups. The sound goes away with in seconds as soon as the oil squirts on chains etc.