Hillhold sucks

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Do they not have hills or steep parking garage entrance ramps in West Virginia? If I'm stopped on a 15* ramp, like I often am in DC, and diddle dally around with the car in N, it will roll back into whatever is behind me. Ah, you might say "Just let the clutch out! The ECU will take care of it!" No... not on a hill that steep, the engine will stall. You need to give it some throttle. And how does one do that? Moving their foot quickly from the clutch to the go pedal :rolleyes:

-J
Hills! Yes, we have hills and some are steep.

Here is a sample of what I mow grass on. I think that it may qualifiy as steep. LOL!

You are still missing it. Lets go to your hill that is steep. You are sitting on the hill with your left foot depressing the clutch,the transmission in 1st gear and your right foot on the brake. With your right foot still on the brake,start to slowly release the clutch while listening to the engine. When the clutch is at the engagement point you should be able to hear and feel the clutch starting to take hold.The engine rpms will start to bog down at this point. Now at this point STOP your foot and do not release the clutch pedal any further. At this point you will be able to remove your right foot from the brake pedal and the car will be momentarily held in place without rolling back. Place your right foot on the fuel pedal and at the same time start to slowly release the clutch pedal. Depending on the grade you may have to give the car some fuel to maintain rpms to keep it from stalling.This is not to say that the engine should be reving at high rpm and not moving forward.

If you notice at no point in the above discription of proper clutch operation did I mention you need to have fast feet. Actually slow feet work better.

Try this method and see if it works for you. Hopefully it will and you can quite using your fast feet.