Water Retention

SEVENBLOCKS

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI Sedan 5 speed (sold), 2006 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 speed, 2012 Passat TDI SEL DSG
I have noticed when I back out of my (flat) driveway after a rainy night and to some degree after going through a car wash that I leave a trail of water on the driveway. I guess the car is holding significant water (rainy night) somewhere that releases as I back out (no inside leaks). I would assume it is not a good thing for a car to sit all night holding water somewhere (ok now jokes about getting up in the middle of the night!). I mention this only because I don't recall any of my other cars (most VW products) doing this. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Perhaps a "so what issue".

kydsid

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
I have seen water collected under the trunk lid in the flat areas surrounding the weather stripping, and a little in the door areas, again outside the weather stripping. Water won't get into the trunk or car because it will just run off. It's a pain if you are detail oriented like me after a car wash but other than that no long term issues.

I don't know how much you think significant is, but I haven't seen anything that was abnormal to other sedans I have owned. So I am not concerned and this is my first VW.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
...unless it is significantly more than what they ^^ said, I wouldn't worry about it.

How about having someone walk alongside your car as you move it in the driveway? They may be able to see something to help you solve the problem

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
Does the 12' Passat have that plastic shield/guard on the bottom of the fuel tank? If so, there may be a little water collecting on it and then when you move the vehicle it drains out the holes or off the ends and gives you that trail of water you are seeing. Just guessing as I've not had a close look at a Passat.

Next time you finish at the car wash and pull out go look and see where the water is coming from.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
There's a heat shield between the tank and the exhaust, but there is nothing on the bottom of the tank, just like my Mk4.

-J