Removing Sunroof/Interior light control trim

FasterXR4ti

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,1997,silver
Hi All,
I'm needing to get into the sunroof control area to access 12V power in a Passat sedan. I'm going to install an auto-dimming mirror. I'm a little skittish about removing the trim without breaking it. Looking for the voice of experience.
Thanks in advance.
Roger

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I really like having the auto dimming mirror on the B3V. I have another ready to install in the Mk3.

Now if I could just get exterior mirrors that were also auto dimming.

Steve

RoseBud68

Veteran Member
TDI
'99 mk3 Jetta 1.9
Wow that looks great. Any info on where you got the mirror? I would like to try this mod.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Wow that looks great. Any info on where you got the mirror? I would like to try this mod.
Audi A4 or A6 are most common donors. You will also need to wire in the connection. The mirror dims for traffic from the rear but it also needs to know when you're in reverse so it can disable dimming for clear view backing up.

Some have compass feature but not all. Be sure and get a section of the short wiring harness that connects to the mirror plus the small reveal trim that hides the wire from mirror to headliner trim cover above.

Steve

FasterXR4ti

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,1997,silver
Audi A4 or A6 are most common donors. You will also need to wire in the connection. The mirror dims for traffic from the rear but it also needs to know when you're in reverse so it can disable dimming for clear view backing up.
Some have compass feature but not all. Be sure and get a section of the short wiring harness that connects to the mirror plus the small reveal trim that hides the wire from mirror to headliner trim cover above.
Steve
Ditto what Steve is saying. I got my mirror from ebay $55. It's from a 2000 Audi A6. It has the compass and temp display. It was not the cheapest, but I looked for one with the connector pigtail included. Look for one without the rain sensor as that one has a different mount. Temp display requires a sensor, but is not currently hooked up. I did not hook up the reverse sensor but ran the wire to the sunroof control cavity if I decide I need it. I took pictures and will post a how to in a few days.
My stock mirror was flopping down whenever it got hot outside. Every other mirror I could find had the same problem, the plastic tabs that work with the steel clip broke off.
This link will be dead soon, but here is the one I purchased. He still has 2 left as of this post.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1999-2004-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
If you find one in the PNP, be sure and get the temp sensor and bracket. IIRC, it will be behind the grill toward the center or near the headlight.
I wonder if the mirror can use the outside temp sensor that feeds the MFA cluster?

Steve

FasterXR4ti

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,1997,silver

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
It appears as if there is only one temp sensor model for the mirrors. It's only $10.00, but I don't see the cable/connector for sale. I'll contact them to see if they sell the cable as well.

http://mito-auto.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=19
The outside temp sensor I'm talking about is the one that was installed on the highline B4 VR6 cars. It works in conjunction with the MFA cluster to report outside temp when you use the MFA stalk switches.

I could be wrong but I think the sensor was fitted to all B4 cars but there might be a section of the wiring that was not installed. For that information I'd have to go back to the MFA sticky at the top of our forum.

The only reason I ask is because some of us already have MFA clusters and temp sensors installed, so if that sensor works the same it could also feed the mirror display too, if one could figure out how to tie in the mirror to the system.

Steve

FasterXR4ti

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,1997,silver
The outside temp sensor I'm talking about is the one that was installed on the highline B4 VR6 cars. It works in conjunction with the MFA cluster to report outside temp when you use the MFA stalk switches.

I could be wrong but I think the sensor was fitted to all B4 cars but there might be a section of the wiring that was not installed. For that information I'd have to go back to the MFA sticky at the top of our forum.

The only reason I ask is because some of us already have MFA clusters and temp sensors installed, so if that sensor works the same it could also feed the mirror display too, if one could figure out how to tie in the mirror to the system.

Steve
Would be worth a try. I checked on the Gentex sensor and got the feeling they don't want to sell the connector with the sensor. Do you think they mounted one of those sensors even on the TDI, or just the GLX B4s? I could check my parts car when I get home. If someone has one, if they could measure the resistance and outside temp, I could just order a thermistor from Digikey and make my own.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Only GLXs came with them. I don’t believe any US TDIs came with the MFA.

Out if curiosity, where does this take the reverse input from... the 12v from the reverse lamps?

-Todd

FasterXR4ti

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat,1997,silver
Only GLXs came with them. I don’t believe any US TDIs came with the MFA.

Out if curiosity, where does this take the reverse input from... the 12v from the reverse lamps?

-Todd
From what I have read, you take it from the fuse block. I have yet to do it. The mirror auto-dims only at night and after sensing headlights from behind. No lights from behind and it's like a regular mirror. I can see when in a large parking lot, with other cars behind you with their lights on, you might need it. If I decide to hook it up, I plan on also hooking up the temp sensor, since I'm already running wire through the A pillar.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Would be worth a try. I checked on the Gentex sensor and got the feeling they don't want to sell the connector with the sensor. Do you think they mounted one of those sensors even on the TDI, or just the GLX B4s? I could check my parts car when I get home. If someone has one, if they could measure the resistance and outside temp, I could just order a thermistor from Digikey and make my own.
Good question, I had run across a 95 B4 GLS (4 cyl) car that had the sensor in the front bumper opening, but what I don't remember is whether the car had MFA or not. For some reason I think it did because someone asked me to get the cluster for them and then realized it was an AT car and didn't want it.

I just don't remember the specifics, the only reason I would say maybe is because they wired up all B4 cars for fogs even though they didn't install the lamps on GLS or TDI versions. I do know that you could get the MFA feature on the GLS cars so it wasn't exactly exclusive to the GLX six cylinder cars.

I don't know, for some reason I seem to recall finding a temp sensor on a car that wasn't wired for MFA. But which car that was I can't say at this point, it was several years ago.

I added the wiring and sensor on my B3V when I was working on the wiring but I don't remember where I installed the temp sensor wires in the main harness. I'm sure if I go back and look at my wiring notes I'll find it.

Steve

Last edited: