Considering 2011 Jetta TDI (Canada) & need info before deciding...

DC-IT

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 EL350BlueTec & 2011 Jetta TDI Comfortline
I've test driven the 2011 Jetta TDI and really like the looks and performance.

I would like input from those Canadian owners here on how many KMs your car can travel before you need to refuel.

Also are the Canadian TDIs affected by the HPFP issues that are reported to affect the US TDIs?

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The HPFP issue seems to be less pronounced in Canada due to the higher quality (lubricity) of the fuel.

I can go about 1800km highway in my car, but then it's not a 2011... :)

DC-IT

Veteran Member
TDI
The HPFP issue seems to be less pronounced in Canada due to the higher quality (lubricity) of the fuel.

I can go about 1800km highway in my car, but then it's not a 2011... :)
That's incredible!
I guess your tank holds a lot more diesel that that of the Jetta?

I usually cover over 200 KMs per day and easily well over 60,000 KM per year.
Also 75% Hwy : 25% City/Local.

One of my current vehicles, a 2007 Suzuki GV is a terrible gas guzzler as it swallows 12.44 L/100KM which means I often have to refuel every 2 days as I can only cover 400~450 KM per tank!

I would loved to have a vehicle that can cover 1,800 KM/tank!
You wanna trade? LOL!!

My other vehicle is a 2010 335D (265hp+425 lb-ft tq) and it gives much better FE (800 KM/tank).

I am thinking of trading in the Suzuki for the 2011 Jetta TDI (Hwy=4.6L/100KM:City=6.7L/100KM) or a 2011 Hyundai Elantra (Hwy=4.9L/100KM:City=6.9L/100KM).

A fully loaded Jetta Highline w/Nav costs Can$30.310.00 while a fully loaded Elantra w/Nav is Can$26,249.00( a saving of $4,000.00+).
And the Elantra comes with real leather vs leatherette for the TDI.
The Nav on the Elantra has full voice command capability which allows you to enter a new destination using voice command instead of the touch screen. You can also use voice command to get the BT to dial any phone number.

I think the Jetta's NAV only allows touch screen entries am I correct?
I did not try to use voice command to enter a new destination during the test drive of the Jetta.

I am having a tough time deciding which one to get.

I rather enjoy the Jetta more as it has great torque and is a better highway performer than the Elantra.

Any comments on both vehicles are welcome so I can make an informed decision.

I am still reading up on the TDI forums on all the info I can get regarding it's reliability and maintenance.

Thanks all for your replies.

Last edited:

DC-IT

Veteran Member
TDI
I get 850 - 900km mixed driving with a DSG. 4000km so far
Thanks Dr P.
That's excellent for a brand new TDI. I noted that the 2009~2010 Golf/Jetta TDIs can get up to 800 Miles/Tank (US) in one of the threads! That is over almost 1,300 KM!

I'd be happy if it can get 1,100 KM after break-in.

Last edited:

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
100 litre tank in my passat. It was hard to find, and still needs some work to bring it up to snuff.

Another consideration is the resale value of the car. With the distances you are going to travel, your car will rack up the kms quickly.

a 300k diesel Jetta will be worth far more than a 300k Elantra, regardless of the (impressive) quality strides Hyundai has made.

I haven't driven a 2011 yet, my 2006 Jetta TDI was a very capably highway cruiser.

As Yatzee has indicated above, check out 2011 Jetta TDIs on fuelly.com - You will get a good idea of real wol fuel consumption for both of your choices there.

BarrieCommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
i got 850km on my last tank. colder climate and more hwy 400 driving.
i got 1000km on my previous tank. cold climate but hwy 11 trip from barrie to timmins and back.

6spd manual box in mine.

DC-IT

Veteran Member
TDI
Hellfire,
Are your FE mainly from Urban/City driving in Edmonton?
It's close to the City FE(6.5L/100KM) rating for the Jetta.
Even then it's still pretty good considering the cold temps in your neck of the woods!

BarrieCommuter,
Your FE is excellent and I can certainly live with those figures.

BTW, how is the TDI's handling in the snow?
What Winter tires are you using?
Any problems with cold starting in Edmonton and Barrie?

I'm using Shell V-Power Diesel on my D exclusively. But lately Diesel prices are higher than Regular here in GTA.

I noticed that the FE for the Golf TDI is the same as the Jetta TDI even though the Golf is quite a bit smaller.

Did any one get a better price than MSRP?
Being a new vehicle it may not be easy to get a good deal so I might wait till Spring or Summer to see if VW Canada has any specials.

By then there might be other new vehicles to consider.

In any case my 4x4 Suzuki should see me through this Winter.

soulflyer

TDI
Sold: 2010 GSW Highline DSG
During summer season i did 900km a tank and now its 780 km a tank. 2010 JSW DSG 46000 km in 8 months.

Hellfire

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Jetta TDI Highline
Hellfire,
Are your FE mainly from Urban/City driving in Edmonton?
It's close to the City FE(6.5L/100KM) rating for the Jetta.
Even then it's still pretty good considering the cold temps in your neck of the woods!

BTW, how is the TDI's handling in the snow?
What Winter tires are you using?
Any problems with cold starting in Edmonton and Barrie?

I'm using Shell V-Power Diesel on my D exclusively. But lately Diesel prices are higher than Regular here in GTA.

Did any one get a better price than MSRP?
Being a new vehicle it may not be easy to get a good deal so I might wait till Spring or Summer to see if VW Canada has any specials.

By then there might be other new vehicles to consider.

In any case my 4x4 Suzuki should see me through this Winter.
Actually, I do mostly highway driving, travelling around 110 km/h. It is 80 kms to work (Edm to Tofield), so I do around 175 kms/day. So right now my fuel economy is kinda crappy!! But I've done less than 3K on it so far, so it should improve.

No issues at all cold starting, as soon as you get in the car and close the door the glow plugs turn on, and before you are even done bucking up the light is off.

I am using 16" Micheline Xi2 tires, mounted on steel rims. So downsized 1" for winter. As you may know, we are currently getting dumped on here in Edmonton and I've taken my car out and not gotten stuck. I credit the winter tires though, you cut though the snow like butter :)

I've been filling up at Superstore to get the 4.5 cent coupon, but right now diesel prices are inflated in the city as I filled up in Camrose on Thursday for 99.9 (less 4.5) but in Edmonton it is 105.9 (less 4.5). However, in AB Diesel has been constantly more expensive than regular gas.

If you were thinking of buying the diesel for the improved fuel economy, and therefore think you will save money...don't.... I have not experienced it yet, and diesel is more expensive than regular gas.

However, if you do a lot of driving, and want a good engine that greatly improves resale value, then yes think about the TDI !!

I paid $29,500 all in for my 2011 Canadian Jetta TDI Highline (No Navi). I have the invoice price if you are interested, I paid $450 over invoice basically.

Last edited:

neoviking

TDI
2009 Jetta
It's totally speed-related for me -- although elevation and mountains seem to play a role, too. I've gotten over 1,000 kilometres on a tank, but only after driving below 100, which is painfully slow on freeways out here. At normal speeds of 115-125, I typically get 850-900 kms to a tank, although I generally fuel up at 800 or so, because I don't like the idea of running it dry. I just drove from Vancouver to Calgary, across two mountain ranges and with the car loaded to the gills. I got about 5.8 l/100. Nowhere near the hopelessly optimistic Transport Canada numbers, but I was still pretty impressed.

BarrieCommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
my older 2001 jetta tdi had a hard time starting in timmins, 3x glow plug reset to get it started on the same morning it took my 2011 3 seconds to start. the 2001 jetta tdi is left up in timmins with the in-laws. they took the car from me.

i run on gislaved nordfrost 5s on 16" steel rims in the winter, they are an excellent tire.

DC-IT

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks all for your great info/replies.

My primary objective is to get a vehicle that gives the highest mileage/tank.
FE is secondary as all my expenses are covered by my company and it's going to be a company vehicle.

In that respect if I can have a vehicle that has a 100L or more fuel tank and gives me 1,800 KM/tank I'd go for it.

As it is I have to refuel every 2 days in my Suzuki and 4 days in my 335D.
It would be nice to refuel once a week.
It's not much fun refueling in Winter!

So far the 2011 Jetta TDI is on the top of my short list for driving range.
My only concern is with the HPFP issues.
Someone said the higher quality ULSD in Canada is the reason why VW TDI here may not have the HPFP issues.
But what about other diesels in the US?
I have not come across HPFP issues with the BMW & M-B diesels which I assume will have these problems if the ULSD in the US causes problems for VW.
To me it could be the defective design of the VW HPFP?

This is the only concern that is causing me to hesitate in pulling the trigger for the Jetta TDI.

Savageman69

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Highline Touareg TDI
i get over 900 every tank and the first couple in warmer weather was 1000+ car has 7000 on it now

sydneycb

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline
I don't know how you guys drive but there is no way I can get anywhere close to 1000Km from a tank on my Jetta. I have a little over 10,000Km on it now and only once did I get close to 900 from a tank. That was totally highway driving on a trip. I think i got about 875Km and the tank was bone dry when I filled. It took almost 56 liters. Specs say it has a 55 liter tank.
I calculate the MPG rather then Km/tank and my best was 45MPG and my last fill up was the worst so far... just over 34MPG. I have studded winter tires on now. I also drive the car to have fun, not to squeeze an extra kilometer or 2 out of the tank of fuel. Just saying!

Hellfire

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Jetta TDI Highline
try sticking to 1800-1900rpm in 6th for a whole tank and come back with your FE numbers.
You said that was 90 km/h you travel at ? Is that real speed, or what speed it says on your speedo? Since if it is your speedo speed, that is more like 80 kms/h

Hellfire

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Jetta TDI Highline
So for the auto, it is pretty much impossible to do 1900 rpm at 115 km/h. At 1900 rpm I was travelling at 103 km/h, at 2000 rpm 110 km/h and at 2100 rpm I was travelling 115 km/h.

Real speeds were 93 km/h, 97 km/h and 105 km/h

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
i've put over 11000kms so far, i get about 1000kms per tank, but i usually fill up before that, so i have not driven until i get the light on.

Couple of things, i get about 2000rpm at 118kms as per GPS, or 124kms as per speedo. I was told you will need to have over 30000kms before you start getting good mielage out of the car, also city driving compared to highway driving matters a lot. Wife has a 2010 Golf TDI DSG and she is getting around 800 to 850 per tank, i'm getting 1000 per tank and mine is only 10000kms, and she has 30000kms already.

DC-IT

Veteran Member
TDI
i've put over 11000kms so far, i get about 1000kms per tank, but i usually fill up before that, so i have not driven until i get the light on.

Couple of things, i get about 2000rpm at 118kms as per GPS, or 124kms as per speedo. I was told you will need to have over 30000kms before you start getting good mielage out of the car, also city driving compared to highway driving matters a lot. Wife has a 2010 Golf TDI DSG and she is getting around 800 to 850 per tank, i'm getting 1000 per tank and mine is only 10000kms, and she has 30000kms already.
Looks like your wife makes full use of the TDI's torque whilst you drive more for FE!:D

I've seen quite a few aggressive ladies on the 400 series Hwy.

Often many vehicles are exceeding 140Km/Hr and getting away with it!:(
It's almost dangerous to drive 100~110 Km/Hr so I often keep between 120~130 Km/Hr and sometimes up to 140 Km/hr.
I guess so long as you keep with the general flow of traffic the RCMP will leave you alone?

I've learnt my lessons a few years ago when my insurance went sky high (Can$875/month) after I got 3 speeding tickets!:mad:
I should have gone to court to beat the tickets but was too busy to bother and paid a hefty price for it.
It has since dropped to just over $400/month for my 2 vehicles and I try to drive more sedately to avoid any more speeding tickets! But man it's killing me to not be able to put the 425 lb-ft torque of my 335d to good use!

Max Period

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Comfortline
Typically my family's 2011 jetta diesel comfortline (no fuel economy display!) averages about 650 km/tank, with about 60%+ city driving. See my fuelly profile on my sig.

On highway cruise, 2000 rpm = 100 km/h (GPS speed), 2200 rpm = 110 km/h, 240 rpm = 120 km/h, etc. My speedometer reads about 8% fast. (120 km/h on speedo = 111 km/h GPS speed)

Current odo about 4500 km

Last edited:

Hellfire

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Jetta TDI Highline

Interestingly enough, VW rates the FE of the manual and DSG exactly the same for the "11, yet real life posts are proving much different.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
Interestingly enough, VW rates the FE of the manual and DSG exactly the same for the "11, yet real life posts are proving much different.
just so we are all clear! Wife drives mostly on city and rush hour highway, i do all highway driving out of city where there is no rush hour! Forgot to mention that before :)

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
I got 1150km on one tank of Shell diesel (winter fuel) from Calgary back to Surrey BC with trips into the Rockies. I understand this route is mostly down hill.