Power loss under partial/full load??

ramdmc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Hey guys,

So I'd driving along this morning (19 below) and cruising up a hill doing about 100kph, slow guy in front of me and decide to pass, it's safe, so pull out to pass and .. nothing. ***, no power under partial or full load, mash it right to the ground and nada, I can feel the wind resistance slowing me down. I tuck back in behind the farmer on his way to church doing 75 in an 80 and wrack my brain on what it can be.

I have enough power if i feather it, seems like I have no boost whatsoever in fourth or fifth. I pull into a Coffee Time parking lot, look to see if I can find anything out of sorts, all looks normal. The only thing I can think of is that the car did idle for a while, almost 45 mins before this while I talked to a client, was wanting the car to warm up a bit.

Being a computer guy and used to dealing with M$ torture tactics , I shut it down, pulled the key out, let it rest for a min, restarted it and as if nothing happened. All back to normal. ***? Lots o power.

Did I just experience VAGs version of a BSOD? Is God punishing me for speeding and conducting business on the sabbath? Although this is normal with a 70s vintage MG, can this behavior be expected of my beloved oil burner? Is this the beginning of the end for some vital turbo related part? Actuator?

Any advice is welcome and appreciated. Regarding the car that is.

RC

TDI'ed

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI
Hi, didnt you just install some nozzles? The extra fueling and power change the behaviour of your boost somewhat. Sounds like either an actuator or turbo vane issue. Do some reading on the topic and you'll find the info you need. In the meantime find a large hill and put the car in fifth.. do some hard accelerations up the hill.. the longer the hill the more load on the engine.. the hotter the exhaust gases and the more carbon/soot you'll burn from the turbo. You may have to gradually go to WOT depending on the severity of your issue. Have you installed a boost gauge yet?

KAG

Veteran Member
TDI
None
If your driving along and it goes into limp mode, you can do a reset of the computer while your driving: just shut the car off (leave the key in) and restart the car and it resets the code. Are you getting a CEL?

I've had alot of limp mode issues lately which turned into the Turbo being replaced, which it probibly just needed a good cleaning.

ramdmc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
mjhandy- my poor Jetta gets an Italian tune-up everyday as soon as the oil warms up =) my mileage sucks because of it but it's better than the Hemi. Could be the EGR, had to remove the elbow before the EGR when I changed the heater core (I almost torched the car a few times to avoid it, would rather get a root canal drug free) and saw that the EGR is looking like black coral, def on the list, just hope I can delay it till the weather warms up a bit.

TDI'ed- I haven't changed the injectors yet, haven't had the chance. Want to clean up a few things first. And also want to read up a little more on what to expect and how to deal with it. I want to make sure everything's running right before I change them, also need a few bits before I proceed, some vac and fuel return lines, etc. Time off also helps and trying to snag a heated garage for a weekend.
Have not installed a boost gauge, but was on my list, have any suggestions? And I have a couple of long (>1km) gradual hills I can tackle. Anything I should be warned about before I try to melt my turbo? hehe

KAG- Thanks for the tip, no, no CEL. Although I'd love a reason to upgrade to a vnt17, right now is not the time, low on funds, will have to settle on cleaning the turbo. It makes nice boost when it's working, feels strong so doubt it's the reason.

Thanks for the tips guys. You're very helpful, a polar opposite of the Vortex MKIV forum. Enuf said ;)

Last edited: