www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old February 28th, 2019, 07:27   #31
belome
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47'ish

Top-tier is mostly just a licensing agency money grab. They charge fuel suppliers money to be part of the club. Just because fuel isn't top-tier doesn't mean it is not good fuel, it just means the suppliers was too cheap to pay Top-tier money to register their product.
Old February 28th, 2019, 08:31   #32
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Doesn't mean they were too cheap either. Just means they might not see any benefit from belonging to the club. Doesn't make them cheap just may mean they are frugal or good business owners.
Old February 28th, 2019, 10:49   #33
belome
Veteran Member

True, I should have chose my wording better. It is just a marketing gimmick and many companies don't see the benefits paying for the cost of the licensing.

No different from GM making oil suppliers pay money to put the Dexos label on their oil.
Plenty of companies make oil that would pass the Dexos requirements but they refuse to pay GM to license the Dexos name on it.
Old February 28th, 2019, 13:41   #34
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

I would say one of the advantages of a D2 fuel from places like Costco it would be that it is a very high volume reputable station and most likely with very competitive prices. Of course this is provided it is relatively close to your area.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2019, 13:50   #35
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Well membership requirements negate some of that and there are many many high volume stations around that are "tier 1" type stations around.
Old February 28th, 2019, 13:52   #36
belome
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
I would say one of the advantages of a D2 fuel from places like Costco it would be that it is a very high volume reputable station and most likely with very competitive prices. Of course this is provided it is relatively close to your area.
Is Costco actually a high volume diesel supplier? I mean, I'm sure they move a lot of gas, but it isn't like you pull your big rig up to a costco pump.
Old March 1st, 2019, 04:42   #37
mopower
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 15 GSW

My closest Costco pumps are always busy but they are not a diesel retailer, and I've never seen a Costco truck stop. Are the big rig fuel pumps generally tied to the same tank that supplies the auto diesel pump?

My trip to the Exxon resulted in no diesel, it looked like they must have removed their diesel pumps when last renovated.
Old March 1st, 2019, 05:25   #38
tikal
Veteran Member

Of course you normally do not get the Costco membership exclusively for fuel purposes but I see your point about membership fees.

I suspect that the Costco locations that do have diesel they are busy on the average. There is a thread dedicated to the topic of Costco diesel too :-)
Old March 3rd, 2019, 15:26   #39
KevinGary
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2015 A6 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ton View Post
Exxon Diesel Efficient is the same price as everyone else in my neighborhood. $2.85
Same here. No price difference.
KevinGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2019, 15:40   #40
KevinGary
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiman View Post
I will say this about the Exxon synergy the car is not doing as many regen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have noticed the same thing so far.
Old March 19th, 2019, 06:06   #41
KevinGary
Veteran Member

I wanted to report back on my experience with Exxon Synergy Diesel. At the outset, let me say that I know that this is not a scientific analysis and that it is one person's experience.

I have 89K miles on my 3.0 A6 TDI. Almost all of my miles are commuting miles in the NYC metro area. I have hand calculated the mileage of every tank since new and have input it into an excel spread sheet. (yes I have OCD!). After 89k miles my overall MPG is 28.6563. During those 89K miles I used BP and Shell fuel exclusively. So I have a pretty good baseline for comparison.

In recent months I noticed a decline in my MPG and decided to give Exxon Synergy a try. I have now driven 1,136 miles on it and have averaged 29.2783 MPG, i.e. an improvement of .622 mpg, or an improvement of slightly better than 2% when compared to my lifetime MPG. This is about the same as Exxon claims. These last 1,136 miles were typical commuting miles for me. No extended highway trips.

Of course that it is comparing it to my lifetime mileage. However, remember that I told you that I had observed a drop off on MPG and that is why I tried Exxon Synergy. In fact, for the 6,619 miles before the switch my MPG had dropped to 27.272. The drop off started last August and when it happened I tried various fuel additives to no avail. By late September I stopped with the fuel additives and decided that the car was just getting older. So by the time I tried Exxon Synergy I had driven over 5,000 miles since adding any of the additives. Comparing the Exxon Synergy to the entire "dropped period" the mileage was 2.006 MPG better, ie 7.3% better.

Of course part of the entire "drop period" included the warmer months and the impact of the fuel additives. So I also looked at my MPG for the 1,150 miles before the switch. This roughly lined up with the same number of miles that I had driven with Exxon Synergy (1,136) and all of the miles were winter miles (January-March). During this period I averaged just 25.727 MPG on BP and Shell. When comparing that MPG to the 29.2783 MPG I got with Exxon Synergy, there was an improvement of 3.551 MPG, or 13.798%.

Based on my experience it seems that Exxon Synergy does a better job of cleaning the fuel system than the additives I tried (Stanadyne, Power Service, Liqui Molly and XPD) or the fuel offered by Shel and BP. It also seems to improve the MPG by .6 MPG in my car, or about 2% when compared to the lifetime MPG.

I know that this is not a scientific analysis, but I thought I would report my observations.

Last edited by KevinGary; March 19th, 2019 at 06:10.
Old March 19th, 2019, 15:40   #42
tikal
Veteran Member

Thumbs up Detailed and valuable post!

KevinGary, I agree with you that one data point is hardly conclusive statistically speaking. However I also think that people that make a honest effort to meaningfully contribute with your experience is what makes TDIClub a value added technical forum.

With this thread (and perhaps others in the future) we are adding important data points valuable specially with later TDIs and other modern light duty diesel engines with DPF/SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction) that can benefit in a variety of ways with more suitable D2 formulations!

Thank you!
Old March 25th, 2019, 10:29   #43
sloinker
Veteran Member

Absolutely no way to verify but I do feel I get more miles to a tank when using the local Exxon diesel over other stations I use. Since the price is fairly uniform I try to fill with Exxon diesel when it's convenient to my travels.
Old March 27th, 2019, 04:49   #44
KevinGary
Veteran Member

The Exxon is the same price as other diesels where I live as well.
Old March 29th, 2019, 10:59   #45
alecw81

TDI(s): 2014 JSW DSG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tditom View Post
Watch some of the testimonials from the trucking companies. They have determined that there's a real benefit.
Or they have fleet-Exxon fuel cards and receive a discount for the testimonial/promotion.
alecw81 is offline   Reply With Quote