www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Fuels & Lubricants

Fuels & Lubricants Discussion all about Fuels & Lubricants. synthetic oil, conventional oil, brands, change intervals, diesel grades, gelling and such debated items like that. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed. This forum is NOT for the discussion of biodiesel and other alternative fuels.

Old April 9th, 2019, 06:05   #1
Bigboss

Default Fuel additives

Just wanted to see what people use for fuel additives and what to stay away from! Thanks!
Bigboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2019, 06:09   #2
750HMF

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
750HMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2019, 08:17   #3
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Plenty of posts already here on this subject. Please do a search first before asking a question as most of what you need to know has already been discussed, this subject many, many times already. You don't need to use any additives and they will do mostly nothing for you except empty your wallet and make things stink. Buy fuel from a high volume station and leave it at that.
Old April 9th, 2019, 08:36   #4
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2019 to end of April 2020

I will add my 0.02 worth.
As mentioned before there is no need for additives, the refineries add what's necessary.

But having said that, one product used by many here is "PowerService" which boosts cetane levels.
The white bottle is for winter use to prevent the fuel from gelling. Boosts 3 points.
The silver bottle is for summer use or where you do not have freezing temperatures. Boosts 6 points.

But I'll defy anyone to be able to tell the difference in cetane boosts, between none or PS boosts.
All LED interior bulbs. Several VCDS mods. Darker window tint. EVO skid-plate. Malone Stage 2, Malone DSG tune. Winpower Projector headlights. Angel eyes. LED DRL's. 24mm H&R rear sway bar. Phase 1 & Phase 2 done.
Jetta_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2019, 00:05   #5
Bigboss

Thanks! Sorry I’m quite new and should of looked first thanks again for the reply
Bigboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2019, 04:10   #6
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

Not a problem and welcome to tdiclub. There are literally tons of posts here already on almost every additive out there. Should keep you reading for some time. But for the most part they are simply a waste of money. Some use them all the time because they choose to. Most never use them. They probably won't hurt anything but probably won't really help either to any great degree. What is important is to find somewhere that dispenses and turns over their fuel rapidly, and fuel there. In very extreme cold temps an additive may be helpful.
Old April 11th, 2019, 06:25   #7
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

After their own research some people carry diesel additives on road trips as in 'cheap insurance' dealing with potential unknown fuel stations and situations.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 12:46   #8
alecw81

TDI(s): 2014 JSW DSG

Devil's Advocate: I use LucasOil Fuel Treatment when I get the oil changed, and between the combination of new oil, rotated tires, and the Lucas, I do notice quite a bump in fuel economy (like 50miles per fill-up) for the first few tanks.
alecw81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2019, 13:45   #9
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

You have documented this? Show me your spread sheet that shows the previous 5 tanks vs the post 5 tanks. Or is this just something you noticed in your head? Oil changes also include other things as well such as fuel filters and air filters and DSG services. Did you skip those? Typical for a car to do somewhat better when serviced. But is it the additive or the service that caused that?
Old April 13th, 2019, 11:42   #10
Turbski

I would be interested to see power service in TDIs affecting mpgs. I know when I had my cummins it did make a difference. I graphed it on paper at the time and the powerservice paid for itself and then some. Not sure it would make as much difference in an engine with 1/3 of the displacement that sips fuel though.
Turbski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2019, 20:50   #11
reince

TDI(s): 2006 Beetle

Alec I'm curious with the performance as well. Would appreciate any update
reince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17th, 2019, 09:51   #12
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: pretty freakin' good.

I like Redline.

Cheers,

PH
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2019, 08:48   #13
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Another alternative to using diesel fuel additives in every fill up, is to use some of the following diesel treatment additives infrequently (once just before an oil change, every 10,000 miles or so):

BG 245 Premium Diesel Fuel System Cleaner

Liqui-Moly Super Diesel Additive

Archoil's high concentrate diesel fuel system cleaner AR6400-D
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2019, 16:57   #14
reince

TDI(s): 2006 Beetle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
Another alternative to using diesel fuel additives in every fill up, is to use some of the following diesel treatment additives infrequently (once just before an oil change, every 10,000 miles or so):

BG 245 Premium Diesel Fuel System Cleaner

Liqui-Moly Super Diesel Additive

Archoil's high concentrate diesel fuel system cleaner AR6400-D

Good resources man, thanks.
reince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2019, 14:53   #15
Audibot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta_Pilot View Post
I will add my 0.02 worth.
As mentioned before there is no need for additives, the refineries add what's necessary.

But having said that, one product used by many here is "PowerService" which boosts cetane levels.
The white bottle is for winter use to prevent the fuel from gelling. Boosts 3 points.
The silver bottle is for summer use or where you do not have freezing temperatures. Boosts 6 points.

But I'll defy anyone to be able to tell the difference in cetane boosts, between none or PS boosts.

I can vouch for Power Service. Diesel by me is garbage (minimum quality and no one can even tell me what the cetane is). I can tell when I get inferior diesel, since my A6 sounds much more like a diesel and less refined. With Power Service, it has actually quieted up some, though I will say not as much as when I do get some good diesel in. There is also a noticeable response difference as well.
Audibot is offline   Reply With Quote