Indianapolis TDI'ers UNITE!

Would a GTG June 7th or 8th work for everyone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Just great! : ( By chance are there any other indicators that the it is the turbo, other than the oil leak? For once I'm praying it's something else! Just haven't had the time to get underneath it and take look but looks likes it time to do it.

It leaves a pool underneath the passenger side. Pool is small, saucer size, in size but enough to be concerned about. Not noticing any loss of power from the turbo. I'm wondering if this could also be a symptom caused by running B100?! : O

Neil let me know what your schedule is and I'll leave work early and stop by.

thanks to all!

Jerry

Last edited:

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Did some searching here and found that it could also be the intercooler pipe/hose. Apparently if the this pipe/hose has a leak the oil that is normally in the turbo will leak out. So could be a minor repair. Based on the description of the location of the leak this I'm hoping is the issue.

Also found out from the previous owner that he had the turbo replaced back in 2004.

Let's hope this isn't a big repair!!

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 GOLF 2DR, ‘15 Passat SEL TDI
Intercooler pipe is a possibility. Whatever night you want to stop by is cool, I'm home after 3:15. call me

Mad_Dasher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 silver Jetta
Jerry,

In the past I have been able to purchase 2 good used turbos on this site for $250. Several members have upgraded their turbos to the VNT-17 model and have a good VNT-15 sitting in their garages. The install is not terribly difficult on a turbo, just a bit of awkward angles getting to bolts/nuts.

Brett

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Thanks for the info Brett! Let's hope I don't have to go down that path but still nice to have that info.

Thanks

Jerry

Amy_D

TDI
2005 Jetta PD-TDI GLS sedan automatic, black
Thanks to DCELL for helping me w/my Jetta this weekend! Alas, the glow plug story is getting stranger. I can't find the ceramic glow plugs anywhere, and even the dealer is trying to sell steel ones (but they're clueless on the difference). Now I'm worried about needing to flash the ecu, but getting an education in the process.

Anyway, DCELL, I haven't given up or gone away, but I'm not having much luck either...

jharrison

Vendor
TDI
x
Amy_D said:
Thanks to DCELL for helping me w/my Jetta this weekend! Alas, the glow plug story is getting stranger. I can't find the ceramic glow plugs anywhere, and even the dealer is trying to sell steel ones (but they're clueless on the difference). Now I'm worried about needing to flash the ecu, but getting an education in the process.

Anyway, DCELL, I haven't given up or gone away, but I'm not having much luck either...
I will check tomorrow at my day job ;) to see if we have any of the old part number in stock. How many do you need?

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
j- will my vcds allow me to make the proper adjustment? I've read about as much as there is to read about switching to steel, but I can't find any info about the procedure itself.

Amy_D

TDI
There's a good thread going on steel vs ceramic http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=230419

I'm still learning. As of right now, can't seem to find the ceramic at online retailers. But I called local dealers and finally heard back from the rest.

Tom Wood parts desk yahoo: wanted to sell me N10591607 for $48 each (gave him my VIN, seems to be steel but he sure didn't know)
Duke Gold Speedway: would not give me the part number, but I pushed and he told me it's ceramic and he has them for $58 each (also gave him my VIN)
Dreyer & Reinbold: got an interesting email response that at least gave me confidence he was aware of the steel vs ceramic, flashing ecu, says VW is switching over to steel now. Said he had both kinds (and NGK) and they are all about $36. That seems low so I'm not sure he put in my VIN (and I don't think NGK apply to my car either). He was asking all about if my mechanic is VW certified blah blah but at least seemed competent.

Autozone and Napa indicate an Autolite 1116 (seems to be steel) is what my car needs, about $25 each. They don't carry the Bosch ceramic.

What I find interesting is that using my VIN, different dealers are telling me I need very different parts. I realize the guy at the parts desk phone may not know the whole story, but it's still not good that I could walk in and buy a steel one thinking it was correct per my VIN and have no idea that's not what's already in the car/won't work.

I'm also talking with a good friend who is a diesel engineer at Cummins to get his advice. He was going to help me swap out the plug(s) before I found out they were harder to get than I thought. (Trying to take the heat off DCELL too :) )

I'll let you know where it ends up... thanks for all the help and offers.

Last edited:

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
I'd say switch over to steel and we'll figure out how to reflash the ecu. Surely this is common enough that it should not be that big of a deal.

jharrison

Vendor
TDI
x
DCELL said:
j- will my vcds allow me to make the proper adjustment? I've read about as much as there is to read about switching to steel, but I can't find any info about the procedure itself.
No VCDS will not allow you to make the proper adjustments. I do not know for sure, but my guess is that they altered a number of things. They(VWoA) typically include several updates in one flash. It costs a lot of money to certify a flash for emissions. So they pack a number of updates in one.

Amy_D

TDI
Any idea what a ballpark dealer price is then for putting in four steel and reflashing? I'm assuming have to pay for diagnostics and labor too... blech

jharrison

Vendor
TDI
x
DCELL said:
my guess? $450 let me know how close I am...
I am not a service writer and this is rough math. I would say about $570 without diag. Would be another $105 for that..

My price would be $278 with out the discount for TDIclub. That includes diag.

cewall0

TDI
2000 Jetta
It was starting right away and throwing out a ton of white smoke, but it would run and not shut off. That was right before the cold came. Then, it went to taking maybe 10 seconds of turning to start and then it would blow white smoke and turn right off. Now, it won't start at all. When it was still running, I had disconnected the exhuast at the engine to make sure it wasn't something funny with the cat. It blew white smoke out right there. For some tests, I opened up some of the air intake to make sure nothing was blocking air coming in. I saw a little smoke coming out of those intake spots, but not much. I spent another day or two readjusting timing. I think I'm on it, but I've tried several spots. All to no avail. Thoughts?

Thanks all.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Hey just wanted to pass along a Happy Thanksgiving wish to all those in the TDIndy group, and all TDIers out there.

Be safe!

Jerry

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
and also to you... this would be a good time to put an ad on craigslist for "free used grease collection" after the turkeys get fried!

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Way ahead of you on that one! Listed and go one lady with a measly gallon in Greenwood! : (

Might post another one tonight.

Amy_D

TDI
Have you tried Freecycle too? Actually I have a measly gallon we'd be happy to give to someone. DCELL, do you use it? You get dibs right now. :)

Yes, I'm thinking seriously about jharrison's GP deal!

wiltech

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
VegBug said:
Way ahead of you on that one! Listed and go one lady with a measly gallon in Greenwood! : (

Might post another one tonight.
I should have about 3 gallons in Lafayette, that i can bring to Carmel if you want it.

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
I have listed stuff on freecycle before, it's a great way to get rid of stuff! vegbug, fyrsail and guiffster are the oil burners around here, I only got as far as experimentation with it. Cewallo may want some too? I just buy mine in the form of B20 at the co-op pump.

I got to meet syntorx9000 a couple of days ago. Nice guy! Hopefully we can all get together and hang out sometime soon.

jeeper038

TDI
05 Passat
Hey everyone, I just bought a 05 Passat TDI and I see I live close to a few of you. I am between Noblesville and Anderson and I work on the NE side of Indy. Anyways, I just wanted to say hi to everyone.

VegBug

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 New Beetle
Weclome Jeeper! I pass you on my way to work at BSU every morning. It's been awhile since we all got together but a few of us make an effort to do so. Maybe this month we do GTG to just catch up with everyone.

Amy_D

TDI
Jeep ppl... heh. Now my OTHER car (Grand Cherokee) has an engine light on too!!

I realize my Jeep isn't the right kind but still. :)

jeeper038

TDI
05 Passat
I have had a 97 TJ, 99 TJ sahara, and my wife drives an 01 Grand Cherokee. The jeeps were fun to drive in HS and college but I had a company car so I sold them. Now I'm switching jobs and losing the company car so I bought the passat.

wiltech

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Beetle
Amy_D said:
Jeep ppl... heh. Now my OTHER car (Grand Cherokee) has an engine light on too!!

I realize my Jeep isn't the right kind but still. :)
Sorry can't help ya there, my CJ doesn't even have a CEL :) Even though I swapped in an EFI'd 4.0 :cool:

DCELL

Veteran Member
TDI
got rid of my "jeep" last year... '77 TOYOTA FJ40 on 33's... damn I miss that thing...

ANYONE WANT TO GO TO SOUTH BEND FOR DINNER ON MONDAY? I'm planning to go if anyone wants to ride and meet some fellow enthusiasts... just throwin' it out there...