How often should you clean the intake manifold?

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
It's done on an as needed basis. Never drive the car hard and you could need to do it every 50k. Drive appropriately and you might never have to do it at all.

-Jason

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
SJWVW said:
02 Jetta auto, wondering how often its recomended, no power loss at 75000, never been done to my knowledge.
I have 168k miles and the car has never had it done. PO and I both have driven it fairly hard. I will have it checked on the next TB change at 180-190k. I had the 100k belt put on at 101k but think it best to have it changed early.

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
Once, and then you get rid of the EGR system that causes the problem.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
ULSD is supposed to "help" the problem.

You can always take a peek and see what kind of buildup is in your intake.

SJWVW

TDI
02 VW TDI
wow

Lefty said:
I have 168k miles and the car has never had it done. PO and I both have driven it fairly hard. I will have it checked on the next TB change at 180-190k. I had the 100k belt put on at 101k but think it best to have it changed early.
Wow. I saw on your avatar that you get 48 mpg - was there any noticeable change after the cleaning? Is the car an automatic? What other things have you done to get such great mileage? The best I've gotten is 40 on an all highway drive to Michigan - babying the pedal.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
SJWVW said:
Wow. I saw on your avatar that you get 48 mpg - was there any noticeable change after the cleaning? Is the car an automatic? What other things have you done to get such great mileage? The best I've gotten is 40 on an all highway drive to Michigan - babying the pedal.
I have never cleaned the Intake. I have a Manual 5 Speed. I drive the car hard and get 48 in the summer with the A/C on. I get only 46.6 in the winter. Just keep the tires aired up and keep the filters clean. The lowest mileage I have gotten was about 44.5. All my driving is Highway except 4 miles daily of 30-45.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
With some help, I cleaned my about a year ago and well after about 40,000 miles it was just dusty. A lot of work to find out it did not need anything. BTW I drive like a little old lady, so I tend to believe how you drive it makes no difference. There does seem to be a reduction of problems now with ULSD fuels however.

Good Luck

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
where in OH are you? there are a lot of good people in Ohio to take your car to.