Door locks driving me crazy! Help!

tivoKlr

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, black
OK, I already know all four door position sensors in my 2003 are shot. 3 show up as open all the time and one shows as implausible in VagCom.

This has been an inconvenience for the last 2 years. I have not felt like dealing with it honestly.

Now there's a problem. The alarm is sometimes going off shortly after I lock the car.

Can I disable it? I don't care about locking the car but if I don't the radio won't turn off for several minutes (aftermarket).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I will be replacing the door position switches this summer but it's snowy out for the next 5 months...

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
No way to disable the alarm/immobilizer without sending your ECU to be tuned and immo/alarm delete (I'm not even sure they can stop the alarm, I just know they can stop the immobilizer).

Why not just fix the issue? It's not very hard. There is a link in my sig that says how.

tivoKlr

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, black
Why not just fix the issue? It's not very hard.
I'm going to this summer. I'm trying to keep from annoying my neighbors until then...I will be doing the immob delete this summer as well, when I can use two wheeled transportation the few days the car is down.
So quit bragging. Forget about your troubles and go enjoy the powder for the next few months!!:p
Hehe, I've been killing it :D

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
temporary solution, double click the unlock before you lock it, that may keep the alarm happy

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Have you tried turning off the auto-locking with VCDS ?
This would leave the doors unlocked and may solve your alarm problem .

tivoKlr

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, black
There is no way to turn auto-locking off with VCDS that I am aware of, at least the last time I looked into this. Is there something new along this line that you know of?

I could care less about the alarm, and if I want to lock the car I'm certainly capable of doing so manually...

Last edited:

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
You can turn off the auto-locking as well as the the auto-unlocking with VCDS.
Here is the "How-To":
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mk IV Lock/Unlock Horn/Flash:
[Select]
[46 - Cent. Conv.] (35 - Cent. Locking for manual window cars)
[Adaptation - 10]
Channel (03..08)
Adaptation Value (1 = on, 0 = off)
[Save]
Channel 03 Auto Lock = [Change this to a 0]
Channel 04 Auto Unlock = [Change this to a 0]
Channel 05 Unlock, horn sounds
Channel 06 Lock, horn sounds
Channel 07 Unlock, turn signals flash
Channel 08 Lock, turn signals flash
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You have to select "central convienence" for pwr windows / "Central Locking" for manual windows.

Last edited:

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
Use the door switch to lock the 3 doors. Then use your key to lock the drivers do.

I've been doing it this way for years since my alarm will go off as well.

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
The little horn sound doesn't occur when I use the key fob and my alarm also goes berserk in the cold weather. As a winter fix, I've been opening the passenger door, manually hitting the lock button, and closing the door. This locks all the doors without setting the alarm. Happier neighbors.

77 K20

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg TDI LUX
Apparently my Golf decided to do this tonight. When I came in to work tonight I got out of the car and locked it with the remote. No beep. Odd... I opened and closed all 4 doors and hit lock on the remote. Beep. Thought all was well.

I was at work for an hour when someone came into work that just got there. Hey your alarm is going off. I was busy and ignored it. 2 hours later some guys left for lunch and came back in saying the car is just making random beeps now. (no parking lights flash). So went out and opened all 4 doors again and shut them. Stood there for 5 minutes and nothing.

So a stupid door switch will cause something like that? I'm working 7 days a week and don't care if the car alarm works or not. I'll have to try just using the key to lock the door.

It is 34 degrees F here now... so not that cold. Last week it was -15 and I didn't have the alarm going off. I did however have problems with the rear hatch. It didn't want to latch completely. I sprayed some WD40 in it and it shut- and I haven't used it since. Does the hatch have a microswitch also?

Last edited:

tivoKlr

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003, black
no go

You can turn off the auto-locking as well as the the auto-unlocking with VCDS.
Unfortunately, when I went out to make these mods, I noticed I already have channel 3 set to 0, and I intentionally set channel 4 to 1 a long time ago to have the car unlock all of the doors when the key is removed.

There still does not appear to be any way to disable the auto-relock function, which is what I've wanted for 2 years +.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

As for the trunk issue mentioned above, yes, there is a position sensor in the trunk too, and I unlock, open and then shut trunk to keep the doors unlocked when I want to be sure they're going to stay unlocked.

It seems the only real fix is to fix all four door position sensors, which isn't happening for a while...

77 K20

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg TDI LUX
So I have prodiag for my PDA. I went out and did the auto scanning of all modules for DTCs. It came up with 0. With my old audi I had the alarm go off maybe twice and under central locking it would then display a DTC of alarm via interior monitoring so I knew what was going on.
So how do I figure out which of the 4 door switches, the hatch switch or the hood switch is causing the stupid problem? I opened all doors/hood/latch and firmly shut them and now the alarm will not activate when I lock the doors (no beep, no blinking red light). To me this is not necessarily bad... if it doesn't arm it won't go off all night- right?

NB_TDi

Vendor
TDI
2014 Jetta SE
I have zero codes from the door locks. They are just damaged switches, the controllers don't pick up on that.

You can test the door latches, by going into measuring blocks and find the channel for each door. Watch the information as you lock, unlock and open/close the doors.