TSB for clogged heater core / code P2457

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I think core clogging is going to be a recurring issue unless they address the excess flux in the radiator. If enough repeats happen, expect to see a radiator replacement added to the TSB.

aclark

TDI
Passat B7
Started noticing yesterday when my wife was in the car that the passenger's side was blowing cooler air. Took it in today and the service guy said it wouldn't have failed at 44k miles, and that he hasn't heard of the core clogging. Called me back 4.5h later and said it was a heater core issue, and that his manager put in a goodwill request with VWoA for payment. They agreed to pay for the repair, but not for the diagnostics or flush which I think is pretty crappy considering a flush is part of the TSB and w/o diagnostics the dealer wouldn't have known (other than me telling them) that is was the heater core.

Called VWoA on my own and started an issue for the full amount. Waiting to hear back now. I guess worst case I'm out ~$250 as opposed to the $922.85 + tax, but I'd still like to be out $0 for a known issue that should have been proactively addressed by VW.

aclark

TDI
Passat B7
Quick update on mine. Got the call today that even though the dealer initiated "goodwill" payment was only good for the core itself, my call to VWoA got the whole thing paid for.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
having this problem on such a new car is completely unthinkable. even my 1990 Toyota has a sparkling clean core and I didn't change the coolant for the first decade I owned it

dogger37

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 passat
update...

I received the car back last week. This is my second heater core in the car, and VW rep claimed I was the first " repeat customer" for this issue. They did cover the entire cost ( car has 137,000) but I think that was partly because I paid the full bill the first time. The mechanic flushed the system multiple times and also used some type of acid that VW instructed him to use. They also changed the coolant to water ratio they want used in the vehicle. I will try and find out what type of acid was used along with what the new ratio is for the coolant/water mixture.

heater core used 561-819-031-B1

gasket set 561-898-380-1

coolant G-013-A8J-1G1

my first heat core replaced was a 561-819-031-B and coolant used was G-013-A8J-1G

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
even vinegar is classified as a "acid" for coolant system cleaning. Used it on my iron block ram and it worked amazing.
Thanks for the part number updates, that will be very helpful for us do it yourself ers

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
dogger37: I'm curious about the "1" after all the part numbers. Anyone know what that might designate?

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
Why can't I find this TSB online anywhere? I tried to print it from the google drive linked but it says printing is disabled by the owner.

irishrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat 6M
I am now having the same issue with 60,000 miles on my 2013 TDI - SE. Winter has arrived in Connecticut and it is cold! I suspected it by the end of last season but didn't have time to address it as the weather was getting warmer. I called VWoA today and was given the following information:

First I was provided with a case number that I am to give to the service manager when I bring the car in. The service manager is then going to converse with Volkswagen of America and I was told that there MIGHT be some compensation. He was not definite on that but did tell me that if there is a future recall on heater core, I would get reimbursed for the full amount. I was driving at the time and did not have a chance to get this advocates name. He also said there are no service reports or recalls on this.

Just reporting what I heard. I do not have extended warranty and understood the risk before purchasing a Volkswagen but the lure of not stopping gas stations as much because of the diesel outweighed poor reliability potential.

I want a Tesla next.

irishrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat 6M
I just saw there is a service bulletin. I specifically asked if there was one and was told there was not by the advocate. It's hard for me to believe he didn't know this. What reason would they have to withhold this?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Wurster

TDI
2005 VW beetle
Does VW cover out of warranty vehicles when a TSB is issued?
VWOA refused to cover the cost of replacement for my 2013 because I was "too far out of warranty at 75k miles and should have brought the car in last winter when the problem first surfaced."

Many others have had success in VWOA covering the cost though.

irishrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat 6M
irishrob: I don't think anyone here would refer to any VW employee as an "advocate." They are all VWoA employees, and would only be functioning as "advocates" for VWoA, not the consumer:rolleyes:.

He introduced himself as "A Consumer Support Advocate"

Last edited:

Ares

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE
I've had Toyota perform TSBs at no cost because they extended coverage for the issue (like 7y/75k).

If the problem is common enough to issue a TSB, VW failed to deliver a reliable part/design, and should cover the repair within a reasonable time frame. :mad:

VWOA refused to cover the cost of replacement for my 2013 because I was "too far out of warranty at 75k miles and should have brought the car in last winter when the problem first surfaced."
Many others have had success in VWOA covering the cost though.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I've had Toyota perform TSBs at no cost because they extended coverage for the issue (like 7y/75k).
If the problem is common enough to issue a TSB, VW failed to deliver a reliable part/design, and should cover the repair within a reasonable time frame. :mad:
I absolutely agree. Unfortunately, Volkswagen rarely works like that.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
irishrob: I don't think anyone here would refer to any VW employee as an "advocate." They are all VWoA employees, and would only be functioning as "advocates" for VWoA, not the consumer:rolleyes:.

He introduced himself as "A Consumer Support Advocate"

Thanks for the clarification. All I can say is...BWAHAHAHA!!!!:p

irishrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat 6M
Thanks for the clarification. All I can say is...BWAHAHAHA!!!!:p[/QUOTE]

Such useful, classically helpful responses make me wonder why I even bother to post.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry you don't find it funny. The thought of ANY company (especially VWoA!!!!) calling ANY employee a "Consumer Support Advocate" is simply laughable.

Hope your problems get worked out.

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, 1996 Passat Variant (RIP), 2002 Jetta Wagon, 1995 Passat Variant TDI conversion brought back from the dead, 1997 Passat Variant project, and returned 2014 Passat
I got the same song and dance from VW...we will pay for it then when I took it to the dealer, it was "you have to pay at least the diagnostic charge of $160" before we can let you know what we can do for you. I told them "no thanks" and left.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Flush the heater core. I just did an 05 Passatt for the same problem, no heat. I blew out the coolant, filled it up with CLR, let it sit for an hour, backflush and air, another soak, 70% better so to get max heat, I just reversed the coolant hoses and now she's baking.

ilyago

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta S DSG
Now that the temperatures hit below freezing in NJ, I am seeing no heat in my 2015 Passat with 57K miles.
Does anyone know if there is a TSB for 2015s? The TSB referenced in this thread is only for MYs 2012-2014.
The car started having a low heat issue two years ago, and fortunately I complained and have it documented by the dealer - they explained it as "diesel engines take much longer to warm up compared to gas engines". Now the heat is completely non-functioning, so I expect them to fix it for free.

ilyago

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta S DSG
Now this is turning out different from I expected .... dealer diagnoses defective/clogged heater core - estimate at around $900.
Says to contact VW for assistance. VW refuses to provide any assistance in the matter quoting they stand by the warranty.
Apparently some MY cars were covered by an extended heater core warranty, but mine was not and I am out of luck.
My earlier service visit where the dealer did not fix the problem does not seem to help - note to self - demand any issue be fixed before leaving the svc dept.
I will try again with the service manager to see where they could be of assistance.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Now this is turning out different from I expected .... <snip>
Apparently some MY cars were covered by an extended heater core warranty, but mine was not and I am out of luck.
<snip>
This is the essence of the situation. We got a 10/120K extended warranty on the heater core on our '13 Passat (we also have one on the turbocharger and the DEF pump), but from what I've read in this forum, there are other '13s that don't qualify.

ilyago

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta S DSG
I am curious if the problem with the 2015s is the same or not since the engine is different. Also, they are replacing the heater cores, but does this fix the root cause of the problem? If all the conditions are still the same, this tells me (and so I have read here) that the problem will keep re-occurring. Unless VW changes the radiator, coolant, or the heater core design, this is bound the happen again.

I have started a new thread on my other low heat issue, which may or may not be related to the heater core issue:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=5349309#post5349309

jaredaggie

TDI
2000 ALH, Black, 5M; 2013 Passat TDI 2.0 6MT
Anyone know why some of the 13's are covered and others are not? If it isn't covered it seems like a huge pain in the rear.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
early 13's use G12 and late 13's like mine use organic G13 that separates and clog's things up. it really sucks, driving in snow, completely fogged up windows- awesome!

dzampi

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline
had a heater cor replaced due to the no heat on passenger side approximately year ago...Now that colder weather set in this winter i'm seeing this problem again?!?! It was fine up until few days ago....VW dealership replaced the core under warranty last time and i'm gonna call them tomorrow to see if they are going to replace it again....hopefully I don't have to pay anything....what a stupid design Jesus Christ.....

VeeDubTDI

TDI
early 13's use G12 and late 13's like mine use organic G13 that separates and clog's things up. it really sucks, driving in snow, completely fogged up windows- awesome!
If that's the case, it would help explain why our 2012 has had no problems after 113,000 miles.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
had a heater cor replaced due to the no heat on passenger side approximately year ago...Now that colder weather set in this winter i'm seeing this problem again?!?! It was fine up until few days ago....VW dealership replaced the core under warranty last time and i'm gonna call them tomorrow to see if they are going to replace it again....hopefully I don't have to pay anything....what a stupid design Jesus Christ.....
Just have a rad shop back flush it.