Is it an "Intercooler", "Charge Air Cooler", or "Aftercooler"?

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
Is it an "Intercooler", "Charge Air Cooler", or "Aftercooler"?

I've heard all these terms used for the device that cools the intake air after it is compressed by the turbocharger (or supercharger) on an automobile. For the TDI and most other turbocharged automobiles, "after cooler" is the correct terminology, per this article in Wikipedia, but is archaic, so "intercooler" is now used, which used to denote cooling between multiple turbocharger/supercharger stages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aftercooler

--Nate

Ski in NC

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta ALH 5sp stock
In the TDI world they seem to call them intercoolers. In the marine world, they seem to prefer aftercooler. One exception is the Detroit two strokes, where a cooler can be between turbo and blower, those are called intercoolers.

Really the same things. I prefer "charge air cooler" as it seems more technically accurate, making no reference to being inter- or after- anything.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Really the same things. I prefer "charge air cooler" as it seems more technically accurate, making no reference to being inter- or after- anything.
I prefer "charge air cooler" too. My 08 Ford F350 6.4PSD truck documentation refers to it by CAC, for Charge Air Cooler. Ford mechanics also refer to it by CAC, pronouncing it like "kack".

Chris Tobin

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta TDI
I've seen different manufacturers of aftermarket coolers call them different things too, but typically it is either "intercooler" or "charge air cooler". In simplest terms they are a heat exchanger and I have seen them called heat exchangers a lot too, especially with the centrifugal superchargers and their kits...

For the record my VW seems to have a replacement Intercooler per the insurance company that paid to replace it. And my Duramax truck has a Banks Power Techni-Cooler installed on it.

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Typically, the air to air units are intercoolers or charge air coolers.

An aftercooler is usually the radiator used to cool the lquid in Liquid to air intercoolers.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Volkswagen calls them "charge air cooler" but if you type "intercooler" into ETKA it will pull up charge air cooler, so I guess they know it is a common enough term.

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I like the term "charge air cooler" too, because that is what it does.

--Natew

sirpuddingfoot

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat, 05 Jetta
Inter = Latin prefix for "between" or "among."

"Intercooler" works well in a single turbo system given that it lies "between the turbo and intake." At this point, "charge air cooler" also works, and it's more descriptive (something German likes to do with words).

In a multi-turbo setup, "inter" and "post/after" would have to be specified, but they are both effectively charge-air coolers. Using merely "charge air cooler" would be somewhat ambiguous.

Given the low incidence of multi-turbo setups, I think the term "intercooler" functions well enough as it (afaik) only refers to the charge air system in a turbo application.

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
"Intercooler" is the most common term, by far. At least in the U.S. But of course it really doesn't matter.

-mickey

p.s. Your turbocharger is a supercharger. Turbochargers are a subset of superchargers. In general use, though, a "supercharger" refers to a compressor that is mechanically driven, rather than turbine-driven.

"Supercharging" means raising the intake pressure above atmospheric pressure.