Malone tune stage 3 or 4 ?

acer2525

TDI
2002 jetta MKIV
My 02 jetta tdi is in the shop, I had the nozzles changed to titan .764`s , the clutch was changed to a stage 3 from bora with a Single mass Flywheel, I had the cat and muffler removed and welded to straight 2.5, a 3 bar map installed, and I had him install a custom stage 3 tune with the dynamic egr control. The Mechanic said he thinks the car can be tweaked a little more with some more logging because he feels as if the car can handle more Horsepower and torque. He said i could possibly get a stage 4 tune installed if he can get the .764 nozzles to flow enough fuel to run it. Any thoughts ? what should I do ?

I haven't driven it yet so I don't know how it handles with the stage 3 in it now. The turbo is stock turbo running 19 psi and 22 at peak boost.

And I also forgot to mention that he installed launch control as I was curious on how that would affect the off the line start times.

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
You're at the limits of the stock turbo right now with your 19 PSI sustained Stage 3 tune.

Any more fuel and you'll just smoke. When I had PP764s with the stock turbo, I had to have fuel turned down 10% from the full 51 mg/str (in the tune) so it would not soot.

worldwide73

TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GLS
Ask Malone, he is very knowledgeable. I know i am doing about the same setup as yours and he said a stage 3 tune would be fine. I would get a bigger turbo before doing a stage 4 or larger tune, because like bob said, you're just gonna be smokey.

acer2525

TDI
2002 jetta MKIV
Well I got the car back with a Stage 3 tune. Let me tell you with all the other things done, the car is a beast ! It pulls so hard in all the gears as compared to stock setup. It will spin tires in 1st and 2nd, and then chirp when I grab 3rd. AMAZING ! I cant believe I waited this long to get this all done.
The best part about it is that the car has to be adjusted more since Mark from Malone tuning ran out of time yesterday. The Mechanic told me that I should get more horsepower and torque out of it yet with a little more data logging, and maybe we can try a stage 4.:)
I cant wait , Ill get it back to him like next weekend.

The exhaust sounds great with the Cat and Muffler delete, Oh and the Diesel geek Short Shifter makes it a whole new experience as well, there is no slop in the shifter at all, its like a direct to transmission shifter in a rear wheel drive car.

I wanna thank Les from DIESEL DUBS in SHIPPENSBURG, PA for doing all the hard work on my car. He is an AMAZING GURU and I would suggest him to anyone ! THANKS LES. :D:D:D

Diesel DUBS Shippensburg, PA
(717)729-4176
vwdiesels@comcast.net

Chazhill14

TDI
2003 Jetta TDI, 1975 F100 5.9 Cummins
I know on a car like this, this stat doesn't really matter but I'm still curious. What kind of MPGs are you getting?

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
X2 on a larger turbo as you are pushing the stock one to the absolute maximum it can put out. As you can see in my signature I have a VNT 17/22 and that smiles when you are getting 26 psi boost.

Then while the chirping in 1st and 2nd is fun, you are losing power, so the next thing you need is a Limited Slip Differential. I have the Wavetrac LSD and my car drives way different with two tires pulling all the time.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I know on a car like this, this stat doesn't really matter but I'm still curious. What kind of MPGs are you getting?
I'm curious also, how the stage 3 or 4 affects mpg's. I currently have the Malone stage 1.5 with the dynamic EGR.

joseluis.17g

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 MKIV mexican Jetta 1.9 TDI
My 02 jetta tdi is in the shop, I had the nozzles changed to titan .764`s , the clutch was changed to a stage 3 from bora with a Single mass Flywheel, I had the cat and muffler removed and welded to straight 2.5, a 3 bar map installed, and I had him install a custom stage 3 tune with the dynamic egr control. The Mechanic said he thinks the car can be tweaked a little more with some more logging because he feels as if the car can handle more Horsepower and torque. He said i could possibly get a stage 4 tune installed if he can get the .764 nozzles to flow enough fuel to run it. Any thoughts ? what should I do ?

I haven't driven it yet so I don't know how it handles with the stage 3 in it now. The turbo is stock turbo running 19 psi and 22 at peak boost.

And I also forgot to mention that he installed launch control as I was curious on how that would affect the off the line start times.
Launch control? How does that work? Is it part of the tune? How do you activate it?