Made the Move to Tesla

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think this paragraph is telling:

Last February 2017, Tesla said with its usual hype that Model 3 production would “exceed 5,000 vehicles per week at some point in the fourth quarter.” This would mean over 20,000 units per month “at some point” in Q4. So maybe 10,000 in October, 16,000 in November, and 20,000 in December, totaling 46,000 in Q4. In reality, it sold 1,550 in Q4. This would mean about 1,060 in December.

So not the 5K vehicles per week is in Q2 of 2018, not Q4 of 2017. And an unknown portion of the 1,550 Model 3s were sold to employees for testing.

Certainly production will ramp up. But how much, and how fast, is an open question despite Tesla's forecasts.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Standard Tesla operating procedure: Over-promise. Normally that is also associated with under-deliver, except I know that what's being delivered is more or less on schedule with the mainstream auto industry, it's just that exorbitant promises were made early on, and the outcome is that it takes about the same time that it takes in the mainstream auto industry anyhow, because that's how long it takes to get stuff done.

The Model S has been around since 2012, Model X was announced 2012 and start of production was 2015, it's fair to say that Model 3 development started around the time that Model X went into production, 3 years after that is 2018. Also the Model 3 concept was presented about a year and a half ago ... specifying, designing, ordering, building, and testing the production equipment easily takes that.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Meantime the S is in its sixth year of production, which is at the end of the life cycle for most cars these days. By way of comparison, last Audi A6, launched in 2011, is new for 2018.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I don't care how good electric cars are. In the fall I drive 3,000 miles to Mexico and in the spring I return but because of sightseeing detours it can amount to 4,000 miles back.
I do the southbound trip in as little as 4 1/2 days and the return in as many as 10 days in my TDI.
How long would it take in an electric car, provided every time I need to recharge I would be somewhere where it were possible.

I certainly am not rich enough to own a city toy and another real car for long trips!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I agree on the decline of sedans. Sad, but true. I read that Chevrolet is considering getting rid of the Volt because no one is buying. They may put the technology in the Equinox instead.
Now that I would be interested in seeing.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I don't care how good electric cars are. In the fall I drive 3,000 miles to Mexico and in the spring I return but because of sightseeing detours it can amount to 4,000 miles back.
I do the southbound trip in as little as 4 1/2 days and the return in as many as 10 days in my TDI.
How long would it take in an electric car, provided every time I need to recharge I would be somewhere where it were possible.

I certainly am not rich enough to own a city toy and another real car for long trips!
There isn't a robust enough Supercharging network in Mexico to make this trip in a Tesla in a timely manner. You could make an adventure out of it, charging at various AC charging points along the way, but that would blow your schedule.

Tesla is expanding in Mexico, but depending on your destination, it will be a couple of years before you can make the trip exclusively with high speed DC charging. According to Tesla's Find Us map, you should be able to make it to at least Mexico City by the end of 2018 (mid 2019, if you subscribe to Tesla Time™).

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
There isn't a robust enough Supercharging network in Mexico to make this trip in a Tesla in a timely manner. You could make an adventure out of it, charging at various AC charging points along the way, but that would blow your schedule.
Tesla is expanding in Mexico, but depending on your destination, it will be a couple of years before you can make the trip exclusively with high speed DC charging. According to Tesla's Find Us map, you should be able to make it to at least Mexico City by the end of 2018 (mid 2019, if you subscribe to Tesla Time™).
I believe anything concerning what is or will be available in Mexico when I see it.:mad:
Currently I have not seen any ULSD anywhere.:rolleyes: