is anyone using turbo blankets in here?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I would never wrap a turbo on a TDI unless it was always able to keep away from high EGT's A heat shield is best. On stock TDI's it can be helpfull to do it though as it will keep the heat in the turbo more and alow more fuel to burn in the turbo making slightly more power but i dont think it would be worth the investment.
Fuel burning in the turbo?? If you have fuel burning in the turbo, you are grossly overfueling, and neither the engine or the turbo are going to survive for very long.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Fuel burning in the turbo?? If you have fuel burning in the turbo, you are grossly overfueling, and neither the engine or the turbo are going to survive for very long.

HA, no, i guess you dont know how a turbo works in a diesel then!
Turbos work by not only taking a fast moving exhaust pressure to spin the impeller, the fuel that is not completely burnt up and is still burning as it escapes the head of the engine gets compressed by the housing as its forced in by the exhaust pressure. this causes a further burn of the fuel and creates more power. dont believe me, maybe you should read up on why turbos are places as close to the head as possible with the least amount of tubular distance. Maybe watch some videos on high powered engines, ever see the glowing exhaust manifolds? Here is a great visual of what im talking about.

2:50 to 3:00+ you can CLEARLY see flames shoot out of the turbo, its supposed to do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4jPC5a3YW8

there are plenty of threads about turbos that are placed in the rear of the car as there is no space, in fact there was a thread, cant remember who, has his or has his vr6 up for sale mk3 for 10,000 its a full awesome build with the turbo placed under the seat. you still get decent performance from them this way but thats a gas engine where it does not count as much and only running 7 psi.

you clearly are mistaken

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sorry chief, but you are wrong. Fuel should absolutely not be burning in the turbo. Yes, heat from combustion provides much of the energy to spin the turbine, but the combustion itself is happening inside the cylinder- aka combustion chamber. I think you're confusing turbochargers with turbine engines.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
nope. Fuel+heat+combustion
see video please or provide a reason why this builder along with darkside and every other builder with a short exhaust has flames shooting out. i know its from the timing but it does not change the fact that the combustion does not stop at the valve. it keeps on going into the turbo and beyond.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
and for the sake of argument, here, explain how this is not MELTING the turbo as you so clain it would.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHEHMFbEH8I

this is an extreme of what im talking about but this thing has plenty of hours on the turbo. some turbos can go upwards of 1650*F and i seem to recall hearing of one that can go past 2,500*F, some tungsten impeller or something. Point is as long as your EGT's dont climb up to much, you are going to be fine regardless of flames or not.

when EGT's get to 1200+ any un burnt fuel is going to ignite inside the turbo causing more power. its not going to be a big explosion like in the engine but non the less, unburnt fuel goes past the turbo all the time in the forum of black smoke and all you need is high enough temps to burn it when its compressed.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When you see flames shooting from the exhaust of turbodiesels it is the result of overfueling and inefficient combustion. Those race vehicles and sled pullers are not built for longevity- and they don't survive for long as a result. Bottom line is automotive turbochargers are not designed or intended to support combustion inside the exhaust housing, period.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
HA, no, i guess you dont know how a turbo works in a diesel then!
Turbos work by not only taking a fast moving exhaust pressure to spin the impeller, the fuel that is not completely burnt up and is still burning as it escapes the head of the engine gets compressed by the housing as its forced in by the exhaust pressure. this causes a further burn of the fuel and creates more power. dont believe me, maybe you should read up on why turbos are places as close to the head as possible with the least amount of tubular distance. Maybe watch some videos on high powered engines, ever see the glowing exhaust manifolds? Here is a great visual of what im talking about.

2:50 to 3:00+ you can CLEARLY see flames shoot out of the turbo, its supposed to do that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4jPC5a3YW8

there are plenty of threads about turbos that are placed in the rear of the car as there is no space, in fact there was a thread, cant remember who, has his or has his vr6 up for sale mk3 for 10,000 its a full awesome build with the turbo placed under the seat. you still get decent performance from them this way but thats a gas engine where it does not count as much and only running 7 psi.

you clearly are mistaken
You will see that as the exhaust is basically coming off the turbo, same thing on a gas engine. Also, on a diesel, that can be the particulates lighting up.

As for a remote turbo, works great on a diesel. See sig, HX35 with an HX40 comp wheel, 14cm housing, spools just as fast as a Cummin's or a 6.5 with the turbo in the proper spot.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
and for the sake of argument, here, explain how this is not MELTING the turbo as you so clain it would.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHEHMFbEH8I
this is an extreme of what im talking about but this thing has plenty of hours on the turbo. some turbos can go upwards of 1650*F and i seem to recall hearing of one that can go past 2,500*F, some tungsten impeller or something. Point is as long as your EGT's dont climb up to much, you are going to be fine regardless of flames or not.
when EGT's get to 1200+ any un burnt fuel is going to ignite inside the turbo causing more power. its not going to be a big explosion like in the engine but non the less, unburnt fuel goes past the turbo all the time in the forum of black smoke and all you need is high enough temps to burn it when its compressed.
What nonsense.
The reason for closely coupling the turbocharger to the exhaust ports is to
minimize pressure loss due to heat lost from the exhaust stream. Excess fuel is
burning the whole way from the exhaust valve as long as there is any oxygen left.
If anything, the turbo acts to quench the residual flame as it extracts energy and
effectively will cool the exhaust gases. Nothing 'ignites inside the turbo'.:rolleyes:
The turbo is there to take energy out of the system, not provide a combustion area.
Get it?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I never said anything ignites in a turbo, i said it burns the remianing fuel. When something is burning is keeps burning until either the fuel or the air runs out, if there is anything burning that is going though the turbo, than you proved my point, it gets compressed and thus increases the amount of pressure in the turbo making more power.

Facts:
A: diesel smoke can be ignited as it has some unburnt fuel in it, this is why it is black.
B: Turbo housing compressed that exhaust gasses.
C: heat+diesel+compression= ignition of said fuels
You need O2 to burn it though and this is why it does not happen until higher revs like in these videos. its not so much of a compression explosion as it is a way for the turbo to create some back pressure against the spindle and thus making more power output. Dont believe me, ask anyone who has put a EGT probe on both sides of the turbo, inlet and outlet of the exhaust side, at much higher rpm's the egt probe on the outlet starts to get to slightly hotter temps than the preturbo probe. I did, on my bosses cummins! highly modified btw and yes it does work this way. i will give you guys this one on stock tdi's that there is not enough fuel or timing for this to happen but it does in the right application. i know that mine does this though, thanks to the copious amounts of fuel i dump into it.
it happens, if you like it or not.
Those jet engine setups with a turbo for the engine do not have valves, the combustion starts in the chamber and gets forced into the compressor housing causing more power. Its simple chemistry folks.
Fair point to make here is that you need the right RPM and PSI to do this so most diesels dont act this way with out a few upgrades.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPvW_aBkkXg

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Simple chemistry folks. Haha. So much fail. I blame the school systems. :D

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Here's a good youtube video about turbo blankets. The diesel specific info starts about halfway through. Basically, a study done by UT Austin found considerable benefit to turbo blanket use on the 6.7 Cummins they tested.

https://youtu.be/FrFeaNGDnOk

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Oh, I guess I missed that. It's a pretty good video anyhow. The blankets are great for transient response, but I'm not sure I'd want one on while pulling a heavy load up a long, steep grade- ie very high sustained egt situations. Unless the turbo was optimized for thermal insulation.

VWdrummer

TDI
2002 Jetta tdi Wagon
So, as for cooking oil in the turbo due to excess heat after shutdown, couldn't that problem be solved by idling the car for a minute before shutting down? I thought that's what we had to do because our turbos are only oil cooled. I'd like the idea of using a blanket to control under hood temps.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So, as for cooking oil in the turbo due to excess heat after shutdown, couldn't that problem be solved by idling the car for a minute before shutting down? I thought that's what we had to do because our turbos are only oil cooled. I'd like the idea of using a blanket to control under hood temps.
425*F or lower for 5 seconds is what Garrett recommends.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
I've always believed in turbo cool down. I typically take it easy for a mile or two before arriving at my destination. I also idle until my scangauge indicates 370F or less (1-2 mins). On previous cars without an egt gauge I just cracked the drivers door and waited for the chime to stop before shutting down. The scangauge now shows the chime method was/is fairly accurate.

Still haven't received a response from turbo blanket vendor...

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
I have one on my turbo diesel van with no water cooling, never had an issue with turbo oil coking, and I beat the crap out of that van, :p

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I've always believed in turbo cool down. I typically take it easy for a mile or two before arriving at my destination. I also idle until my scangauge indicates 370F or less (1-2 mins). On previous cars without an egt gauge I just cracked the drivers door and waited for the chime to stop before shutting down. The scangauge now shows the chime method was/is fairly accurate.

Still haven't received a response from turbo blanket vendor...
Completely unnecessary to let a car idle for two minutes to cool down. Usually the slow down to whatever stopping point is long enough if you stay in gear and no fuel is being injected. I can understand if you just blasted up a mountain, are towing, or are in a regen cycle. But, I have never felt the need to let things cool down and have good UOA result to back that up on a '01 w/ 17/22 turbo that can hit 1650F+, a stock '15 GSW, and a deleted and tuned '15 Golf that hits the 1715F EGT limiter on a hot day.

jjblbi

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SEL TDI
PTP did provide a response:

Hello John,

Thanks for contacting PTP and your patience.

Unfortunately for your turbocharger we don’t have a turbo blanket that will properly fit. We are sorry about that.

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
JOE DANDACHLI

PTP Turbo Blankets
808 McPhaul St
Austin, TX 78758, USA
Phone 512.490.6494
Mobile 512.656.8208
joe@ptpturboblankets.com
www.ptpturboblankets.com

Faster Spool Up.
Cooler Intake.
Protected Engine Bay.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Does anybody know about what size turbo blanket would fit a GTB2260VK?

Is a T3 turbo similar in size? https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/collections/universal-turbo-blankets/products/ptp-t3-turbo-blanket-lava-fpro35-008-05

Or a T3-T4 turbo? https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/collections/universal-turbo-blankets/products/ptp-t3-turbo-blanket-lava-fpro35-008-05

Otherwise DEI has a kit for a GT22 if that's similar in size/shape as the GTB2260VK? https://www.deipowersports.com/products/component-specific-products/titanium-turbo-shield

I'm looking to keep under hood temps in check, which after watching the Engineering Explained video, should help considerably with the addition of a turbo blanket.
I really wish the tubular manifold had been ceramic coated to help even more, but what can I do at the moment, but wait till I need a larger turbo and get it done then. ;)

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
Does anybody know about what size turbo blanket would fit a GTB2260VK?
Is a T3 turbo similar in size? https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/collections/universal-turbo-blankets/products/ptp-t3-turbo-blanket-lava-fpro35-008-05
Or a T3-T4 turbo? https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/collections/universal-turbo-blankets/products/ptp-t3-turbo-blanket-lava-fpro35-008-05
Otherwise DEI has a kit for a GT22 if that's similar in size/shape as the GTB2260VK? https://www.deipowersports.com/products/component-specific-products/titanium-turbo-shield
I'm looking to keep under hood temps in check, which after watching the Engineering Explained video, should help considerably with the addition of a turbo blanket.
I really wish the tubular manifold had been ceramic coated to help even more, but what can I do at the moment, but wait till I need a larger turbo and get it done then. ;)
The T3 is closer in size, but that center section is tricky to get around and to make it all sit flush and extra tight/hugging the snail.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I'll be installing 2260vklr in my golf so if I can't get a blanket for it cause there is nothing available, what would be a back up plan for the hot side, i really need to isolate the heat soak, my turbo is on the top of the engine bay any advice?

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
got a crappy chinese one on the HX40 on my golf, generic T3 ebay sourced chinesium garbage
it keeps the battery (that is about 3/4" away) from melting, what more can you ask for?

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
I'll be installing 2260vklr in my golf so if I can't get a blanket for it cause there is nothing available, what would be a back up plan for the hot side, i really need to isolate the heat soak, my turbo is on the top of the engine bay any advice?
These are the two best thermal barrier companies making turbo blankets IMO.
https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/collections/universal-turbo-blankets/products/ptp-t3-turbo-blanket-lava-fpro35-008-05

https://www.deipowersports.com/products/component-specific-products/titanium-turbo-shield

From what I've gathered and others have suggested is that a T3 turbo blanket is approximately the same size as a GTB2260VK turbo.

The only other option that I can think of that would help is to have your turbine housing ceramic coated. Of course you would have to disassemble your turbo before you sent it in, so that adds another element to protecting your engine bay from additional heat coming off of the turbo.

The most popular company that everyone seems to use is Swain Tech
It looks like it would cost between $90 to $125 from the price sheet I linked above.

Hopefully that information above will point you in right direction. I really wish they made a turbo blanket for a few of these diesel turbos like a GTB2260VK, the newer GTD1752VRK, and I'm sure there are a few other diesel turbos people would like to see a turbo blanket made for.
If you're willing to mail in your turbo, it looks like PTP will custom make you one. https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/pages/custom-fit

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
I was trying to get blankets for both of my turbos GTD1756vrk and GTB2260vrk, hopefully we get a company to make them,

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I'd just grab a couple of the generic chinese blankets for various smaller sizes and see which fits best. Wrap it in stainless safety wire if you want it to fit tightly.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I was trying to get blankets for both of my turbos GTD1756vrk and GTB2260vrk, hopefully we get a company to make them,
I spent some time poking around online and I couldn't find a single one that was made for a VNT type turbo. It's likely possible to have a company make some custom ones, but we'd have to have a whole slew of members with the same or similar sized turbo to agree to do a group buy.

I'd just grab a couple of the generic chinese blankets for various smaller sizes and see which fits best. Wrap it in stainless safety wire if you want it to fit tightly.
I went with a relatively cheap one from ebay or amazon, I don't recall right now and I'm too lazy to go looking for what it was. It's basically a plain one that's close to my turbo in size(T3 was my choice). It's a little larger than the turbo and sits a little bit off diagonally because of the actuator and such being there. It has two springs that hold the ends together. I may get some stainless safety wire, as you said.

I'm mainly planning to do it because I'd like to keep lower temps under the hood. Trying to gain a bit of that efficiency nonsense people keep talking about. I got some reflect-y gold wrap, I got thermal wrap for the downpipe, I have a FMIC with piping on the passenger side to help keep the piping shorter, got a phenolic spacer for the intake manifold. A cheap turbo blanket is worth a shot too. I didn't do coatings though. I didn't feel the need for it, since i'm not going to towing, hardcore racing or driving on big mountain peaks(I would if i lived near Pike's Peak though). I figure a few relatively quick blasts is most of what I'll be doing and it will stay cool enough. We'll see how things pan out.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
I got my turbo out finally gtb2265vklr so now I'm going shopping for a turbo blanket, so T3 turbo blanket should fit then, any OF THE 2 specific brand you may recommend PTP or DEI?

Last edited: