Front strut question

big67

TDI
none yet
Hello all,
Quick question: Is it necessary to remove any of the control arms, etc., to change the front struts?
Have my koni yellows ready to install, but all the mechanics that I have been to tell me that it is necessary to remove these things, and it's gonna be a big job.
According to this post: http://www.passatworld.com/forums/b...-spring-shock-fitting-coilovers-easy-way.html
It doesn't seem necessary, but don't want to be that guy that "......but the internet says......." Until I get some confirmation first!
Thanks in advance.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
It is MUCH easier to R&R the strut assemblies if you remove the drive axles first, but that is super easy on these anyways. And that way you needn't worry about accidentally ripping an outer boot.

There are little knock-out plastic plugs in the body, to allow access to the little nuts (two on each side) that hold the strut to the upper control arm mounts. They are painted over, and you will typically mangle them getting them out. Volkswagen sells replacements, but they don't really seem to fit very good. Usually, if they are tore up after removal, just glob some butyl tape over each hole to seal them up.

Keep in mind, these are not pivoting struts, like a Golf/Jetta, so you need to make certain that they get clocked exactly how you took them off, so everything lines back up when you go back together.

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
It is MUCH easier to R&R the strut assemblies if you remove the drive axles first, but that is super easy on these anyways. And that way you needn't worry about accidentally ripping an outer boot.
There are little knock-out plastic plugs in the body, to allow access to the little nuts (two on each side) that hold the strut to the upper control arm mounts. They are painted over, and you will typically mangle them getting them out. Volkswagen sells replacements, but they don't really seem to fit very good. Usually, if they are tore up after removal, just glob some butyl tape over each hole to seal them up.
Keep in mind, these are not pivoting struts, like a Golf/Jetta, so you need to make certain that they get clocked exactly how you took them off, so everything lines back up when you go back together.
I disconnected the sway bar which helped, but I see why Oilhammer says to remove the drive axle. (The axle prevents you from pushing the control arm down far enough for the strut to clear.) Can I get away with just removing the inner or does it have to come entirely out of the car. The reason I ask is that I think the big axle bolt on the outer end is a one-time-use bolt and I don't have two new ones. Are those inner bolts also supposed to be one-time-use? I seem to remember them all being one-time use on the Phaeton when I had to R&R front axles.
Anything else I am missing? It seems like I have nowhere near enough clearance right now...

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
Exactly what oilhammer said. It is indeed possible to remove the struts without removing the control arms, although here in California where these things don't rust so easily, I generally find it easy enough to remove the upper control arms with the strut anyway.

In the rust belt, that long pinch bolt going through the knuckle to hold the upper ball joints to the knuckle likes to rust and become extremely difficult to remove. Out here, they generally come apart with very little struggle, though.

The lower arms can stay in place regardless of what method you choose. That lower bolt is a little tricky to get in and out to clearance the lower rear arm, but some wiggling around at different angles and you soon figure out how to make it work.