Where to buy a socket?

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
Hi...I am replacing my crank shaft position sensor. From other forums, the bolt is a 9MM (maybe 10MM) 12 point. Instead of running around the Northern VA area...are there specific business I should check.....

Sears? Home Depot etc.....

It's DIY or pay mechanic $230. I will be selling car if I do myself can sell ca for less. make sense?

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Are you saying it is the bolt that looks almost like a torx where the fool fits in the bolt or is it a bolt where you need a socket that is 12 piont. Any place from Menards, Home depot to any auto store will have the 12 point socket. But the other tool you may need to chase around some and only the auto stores will have. Called a triple square which has 12 points and fits into the bolt head.

Metalnerd has those as well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DEZLBOY

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS, Candy White
Are you saying it is the bolt that looks almost like a torx where the fool fits in the bolt or is it a bolt where you need a socket that is 12 piont. Any place from Menards, Home depot to any auto store will have the 12 point socket.
Hi coalminer16..... It's the latter. A bolt where the socket would go around the circumference of the bolt; not like an allen wrench that goes in middle of bolt were a hole is.

Thanks for the quick response!

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Yup, good luck. Fyi if you have a open end wrench the other end if you can reach with that is also 12 piont.

I hate how many tools it takes to work on things. Sometimes you need 12 point socket. Sometimes you need 6 so you don't round off. Sometimes an impact. Then you have deep or shallow. Throw some swival ones in there. Then there is the crows foot and the other weird crows foot that has a 5 point like a brake bleeder. Let's not forget the 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive of the above. 3/4 and 1 inch of you get to the bigger and all in both metric and standard.

There - done ranting for now. Hope it works out for you. I had the same issue getting a 12 point 9 mm for the flywheel/clutch.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I found a 30mm 12 point at Lowe’s when I needed one.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Last edited:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
If you don't already have socket handles and extensions, you might need a few more. for a first time DIY, look at where the part is, and think how much clearance you need to remove it. sometimes a longer extension, or one that wobbles or has a flex joint makes a job quite a bit easier.