Another AC post

Dieselspool

TDI
2001 ALH Jetta
My AC hasn’t worked all summer but it’s getting freakin hot outside and the 2x70 AC (2 windows down x 70 miles an hour) Isn’t cutting it anymore. The pump will kick on so I first tried the usual first step, add Freon. Annnnd nothin! But then I noticed a sort of knocking/ticking sound I guess you could call it only when the AC is on and the fan is running. It gets louder as I turn the AC up. Any other steps I can take to figure this out!? Please!!! It’s hot out there haha
PS my driver side radiator fan and isn’t kicking on either, if that can be related in anyway.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
You added refrigerant - was this one of those overpriced fill kits from a FLAPS or do you have an actual gauge set?

Just on the surface, it sounds like you need a new compressor. Bad knocking sounds coming from the compressor usually mean you have a compressor R&R in your near future. You can do it yourself, but if you don't have a gauge set and a vacuum pump, you may as well let the local mechanic handle it.

The fact that only 1 fan runs means you probably have to fix that fan as well.

Cheers,

PH

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
You can do some searching on RCV but a stuck RCV shouldn't cause noise so I agree with PH.

Dieselspool

TDI
2001 ALH Jetta
Yeah I don’t have any fancy gauge sets or a vacuum pump, just used an “AC pro” kit my job had left over from recharging the work truck...
What would the labor be for something like that!? I’ve already considered it’s the pump so I’ve looked at prices for those
Maybe as well any tricks to keep it a little cooler in the meantime? I’ve considered if cheap tint film would help any since I don’t have tint, but not sure it would be worth it