2.0 Gen 1 fix approved

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
I suppose it's possible, but since VW can't even do this on a consistent basis I doubt a state agency can. Besides, how would they know what's correct?
"How would they know what;s correct?"

That would be the easy part . . . ECU code must go through EPA certification with the car (as do any changes) so that is a known . . . Getting any given state's clown collection to di anything with it is a bigger question, but in TX, for instance, all goober has to do is find the OBD connector and plug in - the machine controls/dictates the rest . . .

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
There are so many factory software revisions and re-flashes done in the field for a multitude of reasons, that it would be pretty hard to keep track of at that level unless every emission test facility had the ability to check with the mother ship of every manufacturer to know what's supposed to be in there for every individual VIN, and that falls apart if someone has to replace an ECU and they do so with a used one. Besides, if the aftermarket tuners know what they need to fudge, they will.

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
They'll be fixed before being sold, so I assume the buyer/owner gets nothing, but a warranty.
I believe they will be sold for an insane price, also.
Yeah, and would I really want to buy a car that's been sitting for 3 years? It's hard on cars to sit.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
There are so many factory software revisions and re-flashes done in the field for a multitude of reasons, that it would be pretty hard to keep track of at that level unless every emission test facility had the ability to check with the mother ship of every manufacturer to know what's supposed to be in there for every individual VIN, and that falls apart if someone has to replace an ECU and they do so with a used one. Besides, if the aftermarket tuners know what they need to fudge, they will.
Fixes/changes require EPA cert, or at the very least, approval/notification. No cert, no release, so the EPA should be a central point for that data, since they gate it. In TX, at least, test station gear comes from the state, so one source for that and it's support . . . a one to one relationship would not seem to be that difficult to maintain . . . product family should have a list of emission legal flashes, so other than model. VIN is largely irrelevant . . . (or so it would seem). Pretty trivial in technology, an albatross (likely) in bereaucracy . . .

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
When I took delivery on my '15 it had been reflashed twice. Once for the fix, and once previously. Not sure if the previous fix was at the assembly plant, the port, or at the dealer pre-sale. And who knows if other similar cars have the same number of re-flashes. Probably depends on build date. Also, if the dealer makes a mistake, or re-flashes more than once...you get the idea.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah . . . that it will end up with an EPA certified flash, which will have a unique checksum (which has exactly *NOTHING* to do with how many tines an ECU was flashed, in case that is where we are getting disconnected. Checksum is unique to a piece of binary code, and will always be the same for that code . . . ).

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
The technically-simple (and very difficult, likely impossible, to crack) solution would be for EPA/CARB to cryptographically sign the code.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'll worry about it if and when the EPA start putting Malone, Rocketchip, Kerma, et al out of business. Which frankly, I don't see happening anytime soon.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
or all the dealers offering tunes right out of their service department..

When I bought my MK6 they offered me an APR tune before I even drove off the lot..

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Sweet. That should shut up all the "experts" who insisted that there would be no fix for the gen 1 cars.
From what I recall, people were saying there wouldn't be a fix without increasing fuel consumption and/or reducing power.

So they were kind of right. 2 MPG isn't a huge difference, but it's something. Owners will be out of pocket for that fuel, but their compensation should make up for that easily.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
From what I recall, people were saying there wouldn't be a fix without increasing fuel consumption and/or reducing power.
So they were kind of right. 2 MPG isn't a huge difference, but it's something. Owners will be out of pocket for that fuel, but their compensation should make up for that easily.
There were also plenty of people who were absolutely insistent that no fix of any kind would ever be approved for the gen 1 cars. I think they just wanted to see them all crushed.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
There were also plenty of people who were absolutely insistent that no fix of any kind would ever be approved for the gen 1 cars. I think they just wanted to see them all crushed.
I think a lot of that was based on the fact that 85% of owners chose the buyback. People were skeptical that VW would invest the resources to fix the remaining 15% of cars for people who wanted the fix.

Of course, that was before we knew VW would be allowed to sell them instead of crush them. That changes everything. If they can recover a lot of the money they had to spend by selling the fixed cars, then that's a huge incentive to develop a fix, so they did.

nayr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q7
You mean the plenty of people whom just signed up to troll and then never looked back at this site again once they turned their evil diesel into the crusher?

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI 6-Speed
In all fairness, how many people actually thought that VW would be required to facilitate such an aggressive buyback campaign?

At one point, I think we all questioned the future of these vehicles and quite possibly VW itself.

FVWVWF

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold - 2012 TDI Highline Manual
In all fairness, how many people actually thought that VW would be required to facilitate such an aggressive buyback campaign?

At one point, I think we all questioned the future of these vehicles and quite possibly VW itself.
I dont think there was/is anything wrong with having an opinion on something that is unknown...such as the fix for Gen1 a month ago for example. But there were some folks on here who insisted...heavily...without a doubt...that there will not be a fix at all and stuck their nose in every possible thread to let others know what they thought was the only true opinion and attacked others.
Reminds me of the vegan jokes....you know, where everyone in the room must know that this particular dude is a vegan like anyone gives a flying duck. :)
Anyways...as someone pointed out earlier, most of these folks dont post here anymore I dont think.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
I dont think there was/is anything wrong with having an opinion on something that is unknown.
No, not at all. But to express certainty about an unknown is, well, silly. Even more so when that certainty is based on assumptions that are provably false (to cite one example that was repeated here a few times, "There will never be a fix for Gen1 cars because they won't be able to add a DEF system" when it's already known, due to the agreements, that they won't be adding a DEF system).

StayPuff

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Scheduled my Gen 1 fix this morning. August 16th. I'll let y'all know how it goes!
I just got off the phone with mine, and they won't make appointments yet....until the 11th. I think I will call on tue to try again. She says they haven't been given any information yet from VW on how to proceed with the Gen 1 cars. All she says she has recieved is a memo this morning to tell customers they screwed up in telling us we could schedule immediately and that we'll be getting an apology email from VW soon. LOL

Armourbl

TDI
2012 Golf TDI 4DR
Waiting anxiously to hear reports from those who are early adopters of the fix.

ben

BarnyardsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf w/DSG, Malone Stage 2 (all emissions intact), HID's, Sunroof, Dynaudio, NAV
I just got off the phone with mine, and they won't make appointments yet....until the 11th. I think I will call on tue to try again. She says they haven't been given any information yet from VW on how to proceed with the Gen 1 cars. All she says she has recieved is a memo this morning to tell customers they screwed up in telling us we could schedule immediately and that we'll be getting an apology email from VW soon. LOL
Interesting. The service scheduler said she had just been given information on how to proceed and that there was already a list of people who had called in to get on the schedule for a gen 1 fix. She joked and said "It seems like all of you knew about this even before me!" This was the second dealer I called in San Antonio (luckily 3 to choose from in that city). The first said they would pass my information onto the service scheduling dept. This one was very quick and willing to get me in as soon as they could. I verified the Aug 11 date of parts arriving at their dealership and she knew about that as well. If you have he ability call around to a few local area dealers. Best of luck!

CRWalker

TDI
2009 Volkswagen Jetta Sportwagen TDI CBEA
CHECK engine light, not dummy light

On a 2009 sure, since it gets one anyway. On an '11, will they make you pay for a new dpf and egr (if defective/broken currently) in order to get their fix or would they to have eat that in order to make the car compliant?
From the conversations I just had with the dealer, upon drop off for the modification and first call over the phone, yes MK6 would probably be responsible for the cost of a replacement DPF if cracked. Thankfully on those it is a two piece and not a $3,200 part. I have a MK5 that walked in with a p0401 today. Service Manager called and says the fault is relating to the EGR cooler (I'm guess EGR Valve 2 being restricted) and is included in the emissions modification. I'm not sure if the DPF is also a cause and it just so happens to be in the modification as well, he didn't say anything about that though.

Zawurah

Veteran Member
TDI
my 2014 Jetta wagon had the fix done, and I really regret it.

Car idles very rough (especially cold start), engine now makes a lot of clanging noises, and it feels like torque has been reduced.

VW says once you take the fix, you cannot switch to 'buyback'. My 2015 A3 with the Gen 3 engine they offered to do buyback if unhappy with the fix, but with these older engines they are not offering anything. Its a shame because my A3 drives just fine with the fix, but my Gen 1 runs badly.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
my 2014 Jetta wagon had the fix done, and I really regret it.
Car idles very rough (especially cold start), engine now makes a lot of clanging noises, and it feels like torque has been reduced.
VW says once you take the fix, you cannot switch to 'buyback'. My 2015 A3 with the Gen 3 engine they offered to do buyback if unhappy with the fix, but with these older engines they are not offering anything. Its a shame because my A3 drives just fine with the fix, but my Gen 1 runs badly.
Funny, I like some of the clanging noises. But I have to agree I don't like all the regens, large and small. It seems like it's almost constant, with the surging accompanied by increased EGT temperatures and decreased mpg. That said, in general, the car goes down the road just fine. I also don't regret getting the $5100 and I don't regret getting the extended warranty! I got a new exhaust manifold!

For the long term, hoping there is a long term after the warranty expires, I think a modification could provide a perfect car. I'm planning for that day, 4-years from now. If that doesn't happen and the car goes to crap, I think a GTI will make me very happy. If I were a wagen guy, I think maybe the new Alltrack could make me happy. I think I wish the Alltrack had the 2.0T and a manual transmission in the top trim level, but the reality is I'm not a speed guy so maybe I could adapt. Clearly it's true I'm not a speed guy since I bought a TDI. I also had an automatic in my previous 1995 Mercedes E320 Special Edition. I drove and loved that car from 1995 to 2010!

Last edited:
TDI
Jetta
So I brought my 2010 VW Jetta with the (fix completed with 96k miles on it) in with 119,800 miles in a few weeks to the dealer since my DPF light came on. They tried cleaning it and said everything was fine. I drove about 30 miles and light came back on. They were closed for the week-end and ended up putting some more miles on it since I don't live close to the dealer. I brought it back with a little over 120k miles on it. They ended up saying I needed a new DPF filter. They said they weren't sure if VW would cover it since I'm over 120K. However, when I look up my warranty this is what it says...
The vehicle has an Extended Emissions Warranty that runs for 10 years or 120,000 miles from the original in-service date. Please see your VW dealership for additional information including the vehicle's in-service date.
In addition, and concurrently, the Extended Emissions Warranty runs for 4 years or 48,000 miles (whichever occurs first) from the date of modification or first dealer resale post-modification. Your vehicle was modified on Aug 21, 2017 and 96,602 miles. Please see your VW dealership for additional information on the vehicle's post-modification dealer re-sale date.

So my understanding is that I should have 4 years and 48k? So why did the dealer say they might no cover it since its passed 120k? They say they are still waiting to hear back from VW to see if they will cover it....its been 3 days.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Point out the facts to them. Even so an issue reported and worked on and not fixed is still under warranty even as you go over the limit like you did any way. Stand your ground, show them the facts, be civil yet firm. You will get it fixed.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
What was the date of sale from the dealer to you? And what was the mileage on the vehicle on the date of sale? Assuming you were the first to buy after the modification was completed?

You should be covered for 48 months from the date of sale or up to 48,000 miles above the mileage on the vehicle when you first bought it, if you were the first buyer of the vehicle from a dealer after modification.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Yep, your DPF is under warranty until August 2021 or 144k miles, whichever comes first. Of course your dealer doesn't know that. I mean, why would he, he only sells those cars....

bluecrab

TDI
2012 Sportwagen
My DPF also went bad, although only 3000 miles on it since it was replaced when the recall work done (not part of the recall). Was just replaced again fully under warranty.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
My DPF also went bad, although only 3000 miles on it since it was replaced when the recall work done (not part of the recall). Was just replaced again fully under warranty.
The good thing is the warranty was there for you. The bad thing is the DPF life is much longer normally than 3,000 miles - did the dealer indicate what the cause of the premature failure was, or did they fix the cause of the premature failure? If not, I would worry about it failing again 3,000 miles from now.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
If it failed every 3,000 miles, the 48,000 mile warranty should give you plenty of time to find that out and get rid of the car. Maybe VW wants to buy it from you at some point, since the repairs are on their dime. :D

Mine has lasted now 10,000 miles after the replacement.
If it failed again within the extended warranty period, that would be a strong incentive to get rid of the car before the warranty runs out.
Alternatively, if one wanted to keep it, and the state has no real emission checks, one could have the DPF replaced with a down pipe at the first failure out of warranty. It would still be a pretty clean car, just not as clean as with the DPF.

Last edited: