www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI News/Tech

TDI News/Tech This Forum is for the posting of TDI news related items.

Old June 4th, 2018, 19:52   #16
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billion003 View Post
Hybrid...doesn't that dictate automatic transmission?
honda did a manual hybrid civic and insight

the civic is the only one I've driven so far, was really neat, it'd shut off the engine sitting at a stop light in neutral, select a gear and it starts. If you stall it taking off, pull it into neutral and put it back in gear and it restarts. Such a freakin' cool feature, IMO.

I doubt you'd be forced to sell your car back, they might give you one heck of an offer you'd be dumb to refuse but forced? Unlikely.
Either keep it, or take the money and buy an older one with less craziness going on with the BCM running everything from the headlights to the door locks and windows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbobrick240 View Post
I hope those five batteries wouldn't be lead acid. Even cave men have moved well beyond that battery tech. for EV usage.
You joking? They'd be used lead acid off the scrap pile. I'm cheap.

Last edited by [486]; June 4th, 2018 at 19:54.
[486] is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2018, 05:39   #17
atc98002
Veteran Member

Yeah, I don't think there's a current hybrid with a manual. Some CVTs aren't too bad. I can accept the one in my Subaru, but a lot of that is because it's the 6 cylinder and has plenty of power so the engine doesn't really need to rev.

I think the current Lexus RX is the 450.

I sold my Passat back because the deal was too good to pass up. But it was hard to turn it in, because I really liked the car. I was hoping for the diesel Mazda CX-5 they keep promising, but it still hasn't arrived. Chevrolet has the Equinox diesel, and I would have bought that except I really wanted adaptive cruise.

I drove a used E-Golf last weekend, and that was a hoot to drive. However, the range is still a little too low for me to switch to full electric yet. Since VW still doesn't sell the new E-Golf in my state, used is all that's available, and those only have about an 80 mile range. The current model still only lists a range of 125 miles, and that is still a touch too little for me. Give me 150 true miles of range with the HVAC working and less than ideal conditions, then I'll consider it.
2010 Routan gone, replaced with 2018 Pacifica Hybrid: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2018, 05:49   #18
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
honda did a manual hybrid civic and insight

the civic is the only one I've driven so far, was really neat, it'd shut off the engine sitting at a stop light in neutral, select a gear and it starts. If you stall it taking off, pull it into neutral and put it back in gear and it restarts. Such a freakin' cool feature, IMO.
Your experience with the civic hybrid manula sounds better than mine. I looked at them about 13 years ago and thought the manual did more to keep the stop start technology from working correctly. Unless I was absolutely still, any time I released the clutch the engine would start. Even with the car in neutral and the brake fully applied. Reminded me of the hill hold feature we had in our 82 subie. The only time it worked was when you came to an absolute complete stop and pushed the brake pedal through the firewall before taking the car out of gear.
Old June 5th, 2018, 07:51   #19
[486]
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atc98002 View Post
I drove a used E-Golf last weekend, and that was a hoot to drive. However, the range is still a little too low for me to switch to full electric yet. Since VW still doesn't sell the new E-Golf in my state, used is all that's available, and those only have about an 80 mile range. The current model still only lists a range of 125 miles, and that is still a touch too little for me. Give me 150 true miles of range with the HVAC working and less than ideal conditions, then I'll consider it.
Get a nice welder/generator on a trailer.
Drag that around when you want more range.
Old June 5th, 2018, 07:55   #20
[486]
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
Your experience with the civic hybrid manula sounds better than mine. I looked at them about 13 years ago and thought the manual did more to keep the stop start technology from working correctly. Unless I was absolutely still, any time I released the clutch the engine would start. Even with the car in neutral and the brake fully applied.
hm, that's strange, I'd have noticed that for sure as the only way I sit at stop lights is in neutral with my leg not getting all cramped up.

Maybe the A/C was on? I don't remember if those were engine driven or electric compressors on those, being early hybrids they may well have been engine driven and therefore they'd run the engine just to get A/C.
Old June 5th, 2018, 08:22   #21
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

That could explain it. I run AC probably 48 out of 52 weeks a year down here. Still have that thin Midwestern blood from growing up in Iowa.
Old June 8th, 2018, 11:17   #22
coalminer16
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2004
Fuel Economy: as good as 58 (over 700 miles) and as low as 30 over the same route

One thing to point out with the voltage systems is OSHA regulates certain safety gear above I think 50 volts. That is why most forklifts stop at 48 volts and commonly are 36 or 48 volt systems.

Good to see there is hope in diesel future yet. The Chevrolet Equinox diesel I wasn't even aware of. Too bad it doesn't hall a family of 6 around so it doesn't give me much better usage then driving two MKIV diesels around but maybe someday in the future. I will be getting the 6.0 powerstroke Excursion running I bought on the cheap soon to be my family diesel mover (if the van is broke down or I need to haul a trailer).
Originally Posted by rmchambers
I really had no idea that VW dealerships were so awful to go to, they sound like undertakers cos everything that goes in there winds up dead.
coalminer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018, 15:15   #23
flee
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalminer16 View Post
One thing to point out with the voltage systems is OSHA regulates certain safety gear above I think 50 volts. That is why most forklifts stop at 48 volts and commonly are 36 or 48 volt systems. (edit)
Well, be sure to suit up next time you're on one because the nominal voltage of a
48 VDC lead-acid battery system is 50.4 volts and the charging voltage is almost 60!
Old June 10th, 2018, 07:20   #24
Dannyboy
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2014- 1168km per tank

I believe it's 60 to 1500 volts is classified as high voltage. I'm going for my high voltage auto tech course in a few months and I've been reading up on the course.
Dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2018, 09:01   #25
coalminer16
Veteran Member

TDI(s): Golf 2004
Fuel Economy: as good as 58 (over 700 miles) and as low as 30 over the same route

NFPA 70e 130.2 Electrically Safe work conditions. Energized electrical conductors and circuit parts operating at voltages equal to or greater than 50 volts shall be put into an electrically safe work condition before an employee performs work >>>>>>> and on and on it goes. National Fire Protection Agency standard 70 e which deals with the electrical safety in the work place that OSHA references if giving citations. It does reference NFPA 70b which deals with the maintenance of the electrical system as well.

It also states"Equipment operating at less than 50 volts. Energized electrical conductors and circuit parts that operate at less than 50 volts shall not be required to be de-engergized where the capacity of the source and any overcurrent protection between the energy source and the worker are considered and it is determined that there will be no increased exposure to electrical burns or explosion due to electric arcs.

I can't find the definition in my books off hand on the high voltage but I know high voltage doesn't start until at least 600 volts. Plants typically work no higher then 480 three phase and that isn't in the high voltage range. At least in the eyes of the regulatory agencies it doesn't consider it high voltage. I don't play with it and take it very serious when I have to work with it. Volts or amps - each have there own scary issues. Volts make the arc jump - it is the amps that kill you though.
Originally Posted by rmchambers
I really had no idea that VW dealerships were so awful to go to, they sound like undertakers cos everything that goes in there winds up dead.
coalminer16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2018, 15:20   #26
Billion003
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2011 Golf

At my dealership, the service manager said they could sell more manual transmissions if they were available from VW. He implied the excuse of the lack of demand was not the whole story in their lack of availability.

Last edited by Billion003; June 21st, 2018 at 14:39.
Billion003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19th, 2018, 22:55   #27
German_1er_diesel
Veteran Member

TDI(s): BMW 118d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billion003 View Post
Hybrid...doesn't that dictate automatic transmission?
Right now, there's a bunch of manual transmission mild diesel hybrids on the market, with more coming out soon (Hyundai/Kia are entering the market with diesel hybrid version of their compact CUVs).
https://www.motor1.com/news/242182/k...l-mild-hybrid/
I think they are all using the Continental system. Not sure about the Suzuki mild hybrid (gas turbo) cars.

Here's a test drive of a Renault Scenic (Which has been in production with the system with a diesel/manual for some time) and a Golf (Continental tech demonstrator).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC76hK3MrOs

New Audis (A6/A8/A7) come with a Continental 48-V mild hybrid system as standard, however not with a manual.
Old June 20th, 2018, 20:01   #28
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by German_1er_diesel View Post
Right now, there's a bunch of manual transmission mild diesel hybrids on the market, with more coming out soon (Hyundai/Kia are entering the market with diesel hybrid version of their compact CUVs).
https://www.motor1.com/news/242182/k...l-mild-hybrid/
I think they are all using the Continental system. Not sure about the Suzuki mild hybrid (gas turbo) cars.
Here's a test drive of a Renault Scenic (Which has been in production with the system with a diesel/manual for some time) and a Golf (Continental tech demonstrator).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC76hK3MrOs
New Audis (A6/A8/A7) come with a Continental 48-V mild hybrid system as standard, however not with a manual.
Thanks for sharing. The Kia Sportage is fairly small car or in American terms 'very small car'. A mild hybrid diesel would be ideal in my view in a larger vehicle such as a midsize wagon or a medium size SUV like the Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, etc.

Of course the chances of a mild hybrid diesel vehicle to come to North America are low at this point.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20th, 2018, 23:01   #29
German_1er_diesel
Veteran Member

TDI(s): BMW 118d

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikal View Post
Thanks for sharing. The Kia Sportage is fairly small car or in American terms 'very small car'. A mild hybrid diesel would be ideal in my view in a larger vehicle such as a midsize wagon or a medium size SUV like the Honda CRV, Toyota RAV4, etc.
A Sportage is not a very small car, it's a compact CUV, just like a CR-V or RAV4.

https://www.thecarconnection.com/car...yota_rav4_2018

As you can see, it has pretty much the same interior measurements as a RAV4, some are a few tenths of an inch better in the RAV4, others are better in the Sportage.

Last edited by German_1er_diesel; June 20th, 2018 at 23:04.
German_1er_diesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2018, 08:56   #30
atc98002
Veteran Member

I wish I could have gotten a diesel in my new Outback. The 3.6R is a great engine, but under 22 MPG average I could do without. But having EyeSight makes up for it somewhat.
2010 Routan gone, replaced with 2018 Pacifica Hybrid: other daughter has 3 kids
atc98002 is offline   Reply With Quote