Downhill shudder vs hiccup or burp

fuel-cycle

TDI
MkVI Golf
My '10 Golf Mk6 6-speed manual has had a 'shudder' phenomenon immediately after cresting hills (at speed above a crawl) since new delivery. This occurs when at normal operating temperature and not a startup thing*. When mentioned it to the dealer service manager he looked at me like I had two heads. So I have just lived with it since it's relatively flat driving near me in NJ.
Recently however, while driving a very tight, twisty and hilly road (SR78 in south eastern Ohio) this condition was disturbingly present ruining an otherwise enjoyable and exhilarating ride. It feels as if fuel is cut, or combusting air/boost is cut. I nearly have to floor the pedal going down hill to obtain any power what so ever and then power has an on/off fell similar to a rev limiter cutout.​
Is this some fuel saving algorithm by ECM (i.e. no one should be accelerating down hill)? Could it be a mechanical turbo vane control thing from hill cresting inertia or tilt angle of the car going down hill?
I've searched forum for shudder and hiccups but find no downhill twist to the other shudder characterization of which there are many instances. I mainly want to understand this as it is more annoying than dangerous at this point. If it worsens however I would like to have a starting point in diagnosing and mitigation methods.
Any insights would be much appreciated, Thanks!
* I have also experience a 1x/cold-startup 'hiccup' within the 1st half mile almost every time since new, which I have attributed to either an emissions related burp (flutter - vacuum related) or from fuel pressure regulation (like a hiccup from fuel heating bypass).​

Last edited:

CopaMundial

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5sp (New to me Oct 2014) 03 Jetta 5sp (RIP Aug 2014)
I remember a reflash campaign for a similar symptom, but I'm pretty sure that was specific to DSG transmission.
You could try entering your VIN here to see if there are any campaigns that might include a reflash.

fuel-cycle

TDI
MkVI Golf
i checked but no outstanding campaigns, thanks.

Any other thoughts about what is happening?

fuel-cycle

TDI
MkVI Golf
My '10 Golf Mk6 6-speed manual has had a 'shudder' phenomenon immediately after cresting hills (at speed above a crawl) since new delivery. This occurs when at normal operating temperature and not a startup thing*. When mentioned it to the dealer service manager he looked at me like I had two heads. So I have just lived with it since it's relatively flat driving near me in NJ.
Recently however, while driving a very tight, twisty and hilly road (SR78 in south eastern Ohio) this condition was disturbingly present ruining an otherwise enjoyable and exhilarating ride. It feels as if fuel is cut, or combusting air/boost is cut. I nearly have to floor the pedal going down hill to obtain any power what so ever and then power has an on/off fell similar to a rev limiter cutout.​
Is this some fuel saving algorithm by ECM (i.e. no one should be accelerating down hill)? Could it be a mechanical turbo vane control thing from hill cresting inertia or tilt angle of the car going down hill?
I've searched forum for shudder and hiccups but find no downhill twist to the other shudder characterization of which there are many instances. I mainly want to understand this as it is more annoying than dangerous at this point. If it worsens however I would like to have a starting point in diagnosing and mitigation methods.
Any insights would be much appreciated, Thanks!
* I have also experience a 1x/cold-startup 'hiccup' within the 1st half mile almost every time since new, which I have attributed to either an emissions related burp (flutter - vacuum related) or from fuel pressure regulation (like a hiccup from fuel heating bypass).​
i subsequently figured this out it was call the "defeat device"