ABS light on, Brake indicator is blinking

PSDExcursion

TDI
White 2002 Jetta GL
Just had this happen the other day. Upon startup, the car beeps twice, the amber ABS illuminates and the 'brake' light blinks.

Now I did search the forums & the FAQ and got nothing. Anyone have any ideas? My guess is the ABS is inop, not too serious but needs to be fixed.

Any hints appreciated. Thanks.

Michael

concours

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.6 Jetta GLS 5 speed 125,000 miles, 2001.5 Jetta GLS 5-speed, Tornado Red, Monsoon w/CD changer
Hi Michael, There's a recall on the ABS unit(5-02). I just had mine done, the symptoms were the exactly the same as those you've described. Some have caught fire, one person posted here about theirs burning up. Call your friendly stealership.

P.S. They only butchered a couple of things when they had it this time. Ripped the rubber mounts out of the airbox, lost one of two. Trashed my fog light wires, haven't had time to repair those yet. Rounded the brake line flare nuts quite well. Flat rate is a great thing!

Variant TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf Variant, Reflex Silver
An improperly coded ABS unit will cause the e-brake light to blink. A broken ABS controller can do the same.

I've learned far too much about Teves systems in the past 2 years, trying to fix a problem with the unit in my 96.

For you, it's an admitted problem, so take it in. Cause it's an expensive one. :d