Sprinter/Airstream (Mercedes CDI) Diesel RV

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
Their pricing/options on their three Sprinter variants is perplexing to say the least. The two larger versions have considerably more room than the shorter version, but only sleep 2. The two larger versions are also cheaper than the smaller version. But, the smaller version sleeps 4 and is more expensive than the larger versions... Huh? Cramp more people into a smaller space and charge them more money??!?!?

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
I guess that is a somewhat pricey re-birth of the old california vans.

http://www.airstream.com/product_line/touring_coaches/westfalia_home.html

What I am looking for is a cross between a conversion van and an RV. All I need from the RV end is the on-board bathroom, the AC/heating and maybe one bed to lie down. I just spent a miserable friday night stranded at the airport in in Denver. If I had a vehicle like this, there would be no need to fly anywhere, particularly with kids the flying thing gets old pretty quick.
I don't need the hi-line roof, top sleeper, kitchen and particularly the ugly cream colours. A regular sprinter with 3 club-seats, a bathroom, 1 bed and some storage is all I need.

Last edited:

jkeller

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Tornado Red
owr084 said:
Their pricing/options on their three Sprinter variants is perplexing to say the least. The two larger versions have considerably more room than the shorter version, but only sleep 2. The two larger versions are also cheaper than the smaller version. But, the smaller version sleeps 4 and is more expensive than the larger versions... Huh? Cramp more people into a smaller space and charge them more money??!?!?
It is a Westfalia! A Sprinter Westie! Drool...

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
owr084 said:
Huh? Cramp more people into a smaller space and charge them more money??!?!?
You stack them. The Westphalia thing essentially has an 'attic' that sleeps 2, similar to the old fabric pop-up VW vans.
The 'bigger' models don't have the second floor on them.

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
10then34 said:
You stack them. The Westphalia thing essentially has an 'attic' that sleeps 2, similar to the old fabric pop-up VW vans.
The 'bigger' models don't have the second floor on them.
I realize that, but you would think that the two larger models could squeeze a 2nd bed in somewhere...

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
owr084 said:
I realize that, but you would think that the two larger models could squeeze a 2nd bed in somewhere...
I met a guy in Las Vegas last year who had one of those in the hotel parking lot. He said he still mostly stays at hotels, but now getting to places is the real fun, staying at state-park and national park campgrounds along the way.

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
mavapa said:
I would expect a real mileage of around 20. It's neat, but way too expensive.
Agreed and agreed. Base van is under $40K I don't see the extra stuff they put in there being worth the extra cake they are asking. For that kind of additional money, you could buy the base van and have a master carpenter come in and do it up right with some nice materials and still have change for a couple nights in the campground of your choice;)