ALH - mechanical noise accompanies glow plug preheating - what is it??

rionzion

TDI
VW 1.9tdi ALH, Land Rover 200tdi
Hi all, a quick question: does the ALH have a priming pump for cold start? i ask this because when i turn the ignition to stage 1 from cold while the glow plug light is on there is a mechanical whirring noise coming from the engine bay which lasts a little longer than the light is on for. it sounds very much like a priming pump but from what i can glean via google, the workshop manual and the vehicle information booklet the ALH has no such thing fitted.
Anyway, i never gave it much thought since the van starts and runs great, however, since we've been having cold weather the noise doesnt happen any more and it takes a good few turns of the engine to start, which is also making me wonder if it did have a priming pump that has now stopped working. I havent had time to fully investigate yet so i thought i'd ask the question in case anyone can tell me for sure whether or not the ALH has a priming pump, or if the noise might be something else entirely like a dodgy relay or something? Thanks in advance :)

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
The quantity adjuster will do a sweep when the key is turned on and it makes a slight whining noise. There is no priming pump on and ALH car.

rionzion

TDI
VW 1.9tdi ALH, Land Rover 200tdi
The quantity adjuster will do a sweep when the key is turned on and it makes a slight whining noise. There is no priming pump on and ALH car.
sounds plausible that it might be the quantity adjuster. i'll do some more investigating, it doesnt always make the noise, as far as i can tell it only does it when starting from cold... but in very cold weather it doesnt make a noise at all. for example this morning i had to start the van to move it a little way up my drive, it didnt make a sound from dead cold. When i went to start it at the end of the day, it did make the noise. again, this was a cold start but general ambient temperatures would have been much higher than first thing this morning.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
maybe a relay for the glowplugs?

I'm not sure if it's a mechanical relay or a solid state unit...

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Problem is, its a land rover. if thats a relay, than its going bad really fast. never heard a relay make that much noise from an engine bay. If its not a fuel pump than maybe the fan motor? maybe the fan controller is going ape shiznet and the fan is going? i have no idea though, got me stumped. Is it in the land rover or are you talking about a Eurovan?

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
Problem is, its a land rover. if thats a relay, than its going bad really fast. never heard a relay make that much noise from an engine bay. If its not a fuel pump than maybe the fan motor? maybe the fan controller is going ape shiznet and the fan is going? i have no idea though, got me stumped. Is it in the land rover or are you talking about a Eurovan?
There is a comma (,) between his vehicles, denoting that he has two of them, VW 1.9tdi ALH, Land Rover 200tdi, so he has the van and a Rover. He mentioned the ALH in his "2004 VW caddy van (not sold in the US I don't think)" in one of his posts.

Have someone else turn the key and try to locate the sound, then get back to us.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
ah those mundane details like commas and decimal points!