2009 Jetta TDI Fuel Economy

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
jvance said:
Rotarykid, since you know so much more about the mileage of these cars than people who actually own one of them, why don't you fly out here to Albuquerque and chauffeur my wife around for two weeks and show us how it's done. Here's her itinerary:

0.5 mile drive to our son's Elementary School over 25 mph roads.

Volunteer in his class for 1 hour while the engine cools down.

2.5 mile drive to the local college for her class on 30 mph roads.

1 hour class while the engine cools down.

3 mile drive home to study for an hour or so while the engine cools down.

3 mile drive on 35 mph roads to Animal Humane to walk dogs for a hour while the engine cools down.

3.5 mile drive to pick up our son from his elementary school, where he plays in the playground for about an hour and a half while the engine cools down.

0.5 mile drive home.

If you can get 30 mpg out of that, I'll pay for your flights. Such a deal.

I think you could really benefit from a TDI heater (not sure if one is ready yet for the '09).

I had one in my '03 and I was almost able to maintain summer averages in winter (VA at the time) just due to starting out at near full temp.

If your dear wife could start her morning with a hot engine, I bet her mileage would take a significant jump...not to mention this would extend the life of the engine and oil.

Tim

IN-TDI

TDI
2009 Jetta
Thunderstruck said:
Wow, I'm shocked that someone that's not on TDIclub actually understands the relationship between BTU content and fuel mileage. Sounds like you picked a knowledgeable place to get diesel from.
By the way, just noticed your license plate. CountryMark only uses Illinois basin oil for their diesel. You can go to their web site to find out more.

http://countrymark.com/node/57

Last edited:

bigman111387

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Platinum Gray Sedan Manual
Last weekend I drove up to Michigan. On the way up (about 300 miles) I got 50.8 mpg. Interesting note that I was up to 54 but the last hour I decided to see how cruise would effect mpg. It dropped it only bc I would lose 1 or 2 mph when going up hill and then try and gain 8 on the way back down.
My average speed was 65 with a top speed of 75 briefly.

On the way home I wanted to see how it would do driving very fast. Everytime i needed to accelerate the pedal went to the floor...EVERYTIME. My average speed was 85 with lots of time in the 90 range. Had a top speed of 108 and i got 34.1 mpg. Not bad at all I think.

To me it seems this car is on its way to be very good for mileage.

I have 5200 on the odometer, had my g/f in the car with me and another 85 pounds of stuff. Was using shell usld fuel with no additives.

woodpens

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I've got about 2000 miles on my 2009 sportwagen now and yesterday I got 49 mpg on a highway trip of 100 miles, driving 60-68 with cruise.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
jvance said:
Rotarykid, since you know so much more about the mileage of these cars than people who actually own one of them, why don't you fly out here to Albuquerque and chauffeur my wife around for two weeks and show us how it's done. Here's her itinerary:

0.5 mile drive to our son's Elementary School over 25 mph roads.

Volunteer in his class for 1 hour while the engine cools down.

2.5 mile drive to the local college for her class on 30 mph roads.

1 hour class while the engine cools down.

3 mile drive home to study for an hour or so while the engine cools down.

3 mile drive on 35 mph roads to Animal Humane to walk dogs for a hour while the engine cools down.

3.5 mile drive to pick up our son from his elementary school, where he plays in the playground for about an hour and a half while the engine cools down.

0.5 mile drive home.

If you can get 30 mpg out of that, I'll pay for your flights. Such a deal.

That is just about the worst case I can think of for a TDI.

A Prius would shine in the same scenario, IMO.

Bill

darkknightTDI

TDI
2009 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
New 2009 TDI

When I first purchased my 09 tdi sportwagen a few weeks ago, I did a lot of highway driving due to the holidays. Now, I'm settling in and doing the regular 90 mile round trip daily commute for work. Around Christmas time, 90% highway, I was getting about 41-42 mpg. Now, with about 70% highway with the occasional walmart or home depot run, I've been seeing 35mpg. This is still adequate, however my concern came this weekend when my gf and I did a lot of highway and only got about 31 mpg and the car was acting sluggish. Anyone had this issue? I read about the diesel blending that happens at times. Could this be noticed by the seat of pants?

Also, could a blend like this void a warranty? I've heard that biodiesel could.

wesk1954

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta TDI
IN-TDI said:
I just got back from a trip expecting to get my usual 39-40 mpg mileage, only to find it averaging 33 (about 1000 miles, all highway). This is with four people and luggage as was the 39-40 mpg earlier in the fall. I have just started using B5 from Countrymark Coop, and thought it might be the fuel. I emailed them and here is their reply:

"The cetane of the Premium Diesel-R / B5 you at CountryMark is a miniumum of 50. However cetane plays a small part for fuel economy. The fuel is seasonally blended in the winter months with kerosene to prevent gelling that causes filter plugging. Kerosene is a "lighter" fuel and though it improves cold weather operability it contains less BTUs per gallon than the Premium Diesel-R / B5 which will decrease the fuel economy."
I have 15K on my 09 Jetta. I consistently got 44 mpg in warm weather (better if I averaged 62 mph or less), but have experienced a drop to 41 for the last four tanks - a definite indication that the combination of cold starts and decreased btu's has had a significant impact on overall mpg.

Wes

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
bigman111387 said:
I also have been breaking it in per DBW.

Which transmission do you have? They are both six speed.....

howie

TDI
09 Jetta TDI DSG
I've been getting 43-45 mpg on my 300 round trip to New Orleans, speed at 65/70 with 4 towns that I have to slow down to 45. Around town I get 36-38 mpg, I have 5600 miles. I drove per "break in" up to 3000 miles; now, I use cruise every chance I get.

heuiinj

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI DSG
I just filled today, ULSD, short trips, (under 3 mi) cold weather, wind rain & some snow and I tallied 33.4 in the JSW. MFD was showing within 2 tenths of actual.

I'm happy with that and beat the EPA city estimate by over 10%...

PILLAGER22

TDI
2009 Jetta 6 speed manual tdi
39mpg 25k 2009 jetta tdi manual

I drive 61 miles each way to work. I routinely get to work in the morning with the average reading 42, and come home and get 44-46.6 (elevation drop). I have put 25k miles on this 2009 6 speed manual and with all warm up, around town and such I am getting 38-39mpg on average. My motorcycle gets 42, on the highway. Think about that! My only gripes about the car, CANNOT USE BIODIESEL (anything more than the sissy B20 and less blends...). How hard would it have been to put an actual FUEL INJECTOR LEADING INTO THE DPF??!! Then it would function similar to the pre DPF cars. This is how Caterpillar does it, take a note from big yellow. I bet it would last longer too not having the diesel in the crank oil until it evaporates...........I can see how a $200 injector, an extra slot on the pump, and a computer logic to fire it is wayyyyy to challenging for a car that balances so many critical temps in the exhaust so well. Good job on the exhaust otherwise VW, just fix this. Pretty please?

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
Actually B20 isn't even warrantied; it drops temps to the point that DPF regen has issues.

I think that this is overcome by a change in the software -- and I see little reason, OTHER than VW's 10k OCI and the B20 dilution of their 507 standard oil, that it can't work out. Especially in a DSG car where the computer can invoke higher RPMs before shifting to get temps up to required regen levels...