2000 Jetta TDI - 2002 Jetta 1.8T - what's compatible?

VDubLove

TDI
2000 Vw Jetta TDI
Hello, I'm new here. I purchased my first TDI yesterday. I'm coming from an MK4 Jetta 1.8T that is 2 years newer. I plan to keep the 1.8T around for parts and because I struggle with letting any of my Vws go (lol). My question is: what, if anything - is interchangeable between the two vehicles? Suspension? Body? Anything? From the outside they look very similar. They're both 5 speed, as well. The 1.8T has a ton of new suspension parts that I've barely put any miles on and it would be convenient to be able to go to that one for parts in the event my TDI needed me to do so. Thanks in advance.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Is the 1.8t car wrecked or something?

Is it a GLI or just a regular Jetta GLS?

Aside from the engine related bits, the front brakes are different, that is about it (assuming it is a GLS).

There are other model year differences, too numerous to list here, but things like radios, airbags, seats, etc. changed.

VDubLove

TDI
2000 Vw Jetta TDI
Nope. 1.8t is alright still physically, just electrically not doing well. This is a regular GLS that I'm still not really sure what's going to become of it. I drive her daily but she's not happy about it :rolleyes: which is why the TDI got purchased.
When I run into problems and cannot get a new part due to a store being closed (little things like coil packs), I've been able to grab them off my 1.8t beetle and throw them in the 1.8t Jetta til I can get to the store - was hoping maybe it would been the same idea with the tdi and the 1.8t Jetta, atleast when it came to suspension (tie rods, shocks, struts were all replaced less than 500 miles ago and I know for sure the tdi needs a rear shock) and maybe stuff like headlights, taillights, side markers. Basically nothing under the hood, just everything else is what I was curious about because they pretty much look like the same car.

oilhammer

TDI
Hmmmm... OK then. Normally the later 1.8t engines are pretty decent, albeit with an excessively complex vacuum and breather system, but not so much so that they cannot be reliable.

I have one that has been pushing nearly two tons of AWD Passat around (through a slushbox at that) and I just did its 220k PM, still runs fine. I guess I would hate to see an otherwise decent car get taken apart for no good reason. :eek:

VDubLove

TDI
2000 Vw Jetta TDI
Not so much taking the 1.8t apart with no intention to put it back together (I should've mentioned that). Just don't have the patience to figure out what its deal is right now so it will sit until I'm brave enough. It's always been reliable, I'll never take that away from it :D haha, just very temperamental right now.

The TDI has smoked taillights, and side markers - so I would like to swap those out with the original ones from the 1.8t, along with other little cosmetic bits here and there.

Now that I'm pricing new shocks it seems cheap enough that I won't have to think about swapping between the two Jettas - but it's cool to know it's an option. Thank you!

red16vdub

Veteran Member
TDI
03 JSW 5spd
The front axels are different as well, but can be used as long as you swap the spindles with them. It’s actually an upgrade over your tdi ones. Lower pancake pipe too.

Bajan

oilhammer

TDI
The 1.8 shares an oil pan with the alh
No it doesn't. The transverse (and longitudinal, for that matter) 1.8t engines have an oil drain tube port on the side of the oil pan. The diesels drain their turbos directing into the block. So the diesel uses the same oil pan as the non-turbo gas engines. That is the only difference.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Could you put a plug in that port? Or maybe route a CCV Catch Can drain to it?

Just thinking outside the box here...

oilhammer

TDI
You can weld it up, or put a bolt/nut through it with some sealant.

Not sure what you mean by a CCV drain. The crankcase is scavenged up top. Just hooking into the bottom wouldn't do anything.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
I was thinking about some of the "alternative" CCV things folks around here have devised over the years, some of which just trapped the oil in a can that had to be manually drained periodically.

oilhammer

TDI
Oh, yeah, I see. Meh, the standard setup seems to work fine. I've never been too concerned with that.