Where to find newly released, aka. "fixed" TDI's?

mountaintodd

TDI
none
Hi,

I am sick of my Prius, and always wanted a VW! I am interested in buying a "fixed" TDI Passat, Jetta, or Golf sportswagon.

I recently heard that some of the "bought back" cars have been fixed and are now entering the market for sale again. Wondering what to look for and where to find them?

Thanks!

Todd in NC.
85 VW Westy

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
VW dealers. They've been advertising them here (Canada).

Any used 2009-onward TDI being sold by a VW dealer "certified pre-owned" will have had the fix applied. I doubt if you will see anything but 2015 models and maaaaaybe the occasional 2014 or 2013.

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
You can find them just about anywhere. 2011-2015 with less than 75k miles are generally sold by dealers as Certified Pre-Owned. 3rd party used car dealers are getting many of the higher mileage examples as well, no warranty.

Local Craigslist here is flooded with them by both local dealers and 3rd party used car dealers.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
You can find them just about anywhere. 2011-2015 with less than 75k miles are generally sold by dealers as Certified Pre-Owned. 3rd party used car dealers are getting many of the higher mileage examples as well, no warranty.

Local Craigslist here is flooded with them by both local dealers and 3rd party used car dealers.
"no warranty"? I thought all fixed cars have the emissions warranty and are transferable..

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
"no warranty"? I thought all fixed cars have the emissions warranty and are transferable..
Well, "As-is" from the 3rd party dealer selling it, but I suppose officially yes, you should be able to get emissions warranty from VW with these cars.

forrest resto`s

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta tdi auto rc2 2013 passat tdi 2015 passat tdi auto 2011 jetta tdi nav. s'roof..man. dpf delete 1970 GTO JUDGE 520 HP
Well, "As-is" from the 3rd party dealer selling it, but I suppose officially yes, you should be able to get emissions warranty from VW with these cars.
From what I understand ..the emissions warranty is "attached to the vin#".. so it goes with the car whoever owns it.. correct??

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
The mandated warranty associated with the "fix", which covers the emission controls and the engine and most (not all) of the fuel system, is indeed transferable and can apply to anyone who has one of these vehicles no matter how it was bought.

In no way is that a warranty on the complete vehicle. Alternator ... air conditioning ... wheel bearings ... power window regulators ... infotainment ... suspension and steering ... are NOT covered.

"CPO" - certified pre-owned - includes warranty coverage but as far as I know, that would only be legitimately available if the car was purchased as CPO from a VW-group dealer. Those are only going to be late model low mileage vehicles. VW Canada has been advertising these.

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Just to add to the responses, based on what I've seen on other threads; if not buying from a VW/Audi dealer, there is a risk of purchasing a "fixed" vehicle where the previous owner altered the emissions system (delete(s)/tune(s), etc.) after the vehicle was "fixed" and subsequently sold the vehicle. Technically, the extended emissions warranty on such vehicles is voided at the time the owner-modification is made. One needs to be aware of this potential, at least if the potential buyer puts a lot of value in the extended emissions warranty.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If you would have read his post/thread as asked you would have found both tuning "events" were before the fix.

I bought the car from a third party dealer, not from the PO directly nor from a VW/Audi dealer.
According to the service logs from the Audi dealer when I brought it in for warranty repair, there were only two "tuning event" in the ECU. The first one was right after vehicle was purchased new by the PO, and the second event was just before the emission fix by Audi. After the emission modification had been completed, the ECU was not touched again.
Audi claimed that the previous owners tuning still voided the new warranty and denied my claim. I fought them for three weeks while they had me in a brand new Q7 during this time but the dealer said that after Audi Germany makes their decision, there is not a whole lot more they could do.
Didnt have the time/money to get the lawyers involved and the wife needed a car to drive so we brought the car back to the selling dealer, they took it back and we moved on.
Whether before or after it seems any tuning can or will void the warranty if they want to press the matter.

mountaintodd

TDI
none
Thanks for all the replies and info!

So, it appears that their are roughly two ways to get these TDI's back. Please correct me if I'm wrong? I said "roughly" two ways!

First, is direct from your VW, in which case they will be newer models with less miles, and that particular dealer will "do the fix" and sell them with a warranty as a "certified pre-owned" car.

Second, via Adesa Auction Services, in which US VW will have preformed "the fix" and sells them to licensed dealers.

If these are the options, which one is best? I can do light maintenance on my cars, and can't stand the way most dealers do business! I wonder if US VW would do a better job servicing the cars? Also, does a Carfax report show the history of ownership? Because I don't want a car that potential had salt on it and then sat for a year or more, ya know.

Thanks again everyone!

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
Once you fiddle with the cars engine and drive train VW is off the hook. Take your chances if you chose.

mountaintodd

TDI
none
So, it appears that their are roughly two ways to get these TDI's back. Please correct me if I'm wrong? I said "roughly" two ways!

First, is direct from your VW, in which case they will be newer models with less miles, and that particular dealer will "do the fix" and sell them with a warranty as a "certified pre-owned" car.

Second, via Adesa Auction Services, in which US VW will have preformed "the fix" and sells them to licensed dealers.

If these are the options, which one is best? I can do light maintenance on my cars, and can't stand the way most dealers do business! I wonder if US VW would do a better job servicing the cars? Also, does a Carfax report show the history of ownership? Because I don't want a car that potential had salt on it and then sat for a year or more, ya know.
So, I just got off the phone with a small dealer friend of mine, in NC. where I live, and he said that he does not have access to Adesa Auction Services. BUT, he did a quick nationwide search through his resource and said most of the cars/wagons found are up North.

So, I'm wondering where these "buyback storage lots full of cars" are? Does anybody know? Personally, I want a southern car anyways and am hoping to find a wagon closer to home. Thanks!

93celicaconv

Veteran Member
TDI
Turned in my 2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition to VW, DSG, Nav, Sunroof / Replaced with a 2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
So, I just got off the phone with a small dealer friend of mine, in NC. where I live, and he said that he does not have access to Adesa Auction Services. BUT, he did a quick nationwide search through his resource and said most of the cars/wagons found are up North.

So, I'm wondering where these "buyback storage lots full of cars" are? Does anybody know? Personally, I want a southern car anyways and am hoping to find a wagon closer to home. Thanks!
I wouldn't base a decision on where these storage lots are, or where the dealer location is. I bought my "fixed" 2015 Passat from a VW dealer in the upper peninsula of Michigan. The car was originally owned & registered in Texas, and was stored there until 3 months prior to my purchase (in Nov 2017). As such, I would check the CarFax history on cars you are interested in that are available near you locally.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
And as with all used cars, inspect before purchase. A minute up on the rack will tell you instantly if salt is a factor.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
My local dealer has had several (leith vw in raleigh). Both of my tdis came from there (bug in oct ‘14, passat in sept ‘17)

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!
Donahoo Automotive in Pelham, AL. (Birmingaham area) .
https://www.donohooauto.com/used-inventory/index.htm?make=Volkswagen

Inventory changes pretty quickly, but what I like is the no-hassle pricing, and casual way of doing business.

You pick a car on a computer, they go get it, you drive it without a salesperson in the car, and if you like it, you do paperwork. No hard-sell, no "I'll have to talk to my sales manager about that", etc.

I've bought 2 from them for myself and extended family.