What to buy?

oldhifi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
I am looking for a new VW around $30K. I yes drove the Alltrack and the Golf GTI, both drove nice, what I would like is 4 wheel drive and wagon or hatchback. I had a 2014 Jetta Sports wagon TDI and they bought it back.
So started looking around again.. I need good MPG and 4 wheel drive. What do you suggest? Thanks

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
With the criteria that you listed an Alltrack is the only option. VW do don’t have any other AWD wagons or hatches.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
With the criteria that you listed an Alltrack is the only option. VW do don’t have any other AWD wagons or hatches.

Yep. People seem to like their Alltracks.

But man, a TDI Alltrack would have been so nice. That was the real tragedy of DieselGate: getting cheated out of that vehicle in NA.

soldierguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI S DSG
The regular wagon is available with AWD, but I think it's automatic only. The Alltrack offers a manual or DSG.

oldhifi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Lux
what about the 4motion vs Alltrack? which to choose? The Alltrack seemed to drive better, like my Sportswagon

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Yes, they do a regular Sportwagen with 4MOTION. In the US, only in the S trim, but in Canada across all trims (we only get the top-trim Alltrack).

I have an '18 Trendline 4MOTION wagon (Canadian equivalent to the S). Good value for the money. It's a 6-speed manual.

If you treat it kindly it's capable of pretty decent fuel economy. All summer I have been averaging about 6.4 L/100 km in mostly rural driving, well under the official Canadian highway rating of 7.6.

Yes, the Golf Sportwagen S with 4Motion only comes with the DSG transmission. But costs thousands less than the All-Track.
http://www.vw.com/models/golf-sportwagen/trims/2018/s-4motion-trim/edit/tab/transmission/exterior-color/g2g2/
And yes, VWoA does spell it "Sportwagen."
You're link clearly shows it is available with a 6-speed manual, as it is in Canada (across all trims in Canada).

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Your link clearly shows it is available with a 6-speed manual, as it is in Canada (across all trims in Canada).
No, the manual transmission choice cannot be selected.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
It must be because you're in Canada.
No, I selected it on the US site, not the Canadian, i.e. followed your link and was able to freely move my selection from DSG to 6-MT and vice-versa (the Canadian site looks much different)

Sometimes VW's websites (here too) work don't load properly. Like many automotive sites, they seem to care more about making the site glitzy than making it functional and fast.

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, I selected it on the US site, not the Canadian, i.e. followed your link and was able to freely move my selection from DSG to 6-MT and vice-versa (the Canadian site looks much different)

Sometimes VW's websites (here too) work don't load properly. Like many automotive sites, they seem to care more about making the site glitzy than making it functional and fast.

What can I say? The website knows I'm in the US and does not offer me the manual transmission option; the same website recognizes that you're in Canada.

Or maybe I was wrong.

Last edited:

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Several of people on the Vortex Mk VII Sportwagen forums have 2018 4MOTION GSWs with 6-MT. So I'm pretty sure they're available down there.

In Canada, the 6-MT was not available for the 2017 MY, but is for 2018 (mine is a 2018 6MT). The US had the 6-MT available in the 4MO and Alltrack since the beginning, but in the US it's only available on the "S" whereas in Canada it's available across all trims (we only get a Highline Alltrack whereas the US gets an "S" trim in the Alltrack).

On the US site you can't build a car with a Canadian postal code. I had to put in a fake US postal code to access the build function, and select the 6-MT

Last edited:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
Yes, they do a regular Sportwagen with 4MOTION. In the US, only in the S trim, but in Canada across all trims (we only get the top-trim Alltrack).

My mistake. I've always thought of the Alltrack like a trim level package on the Sportwagen. I guess they market it under its own line. Like GTI vs. Golf.

But other than different trim and transmission combinations available is there any appreciable difference? Some extra body cladding and maybe slightly taller springs on the Alltrack?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They use the same Haldex AWD, like the Tiguan, Audi A3, Q3, R32, TTRS, etc.

"4Motion" is just the Volkswagen brand's AWD name, has nothing to do with which actual system is in use. My Passat is 4Mo and it uses the Torsen system.

Volkswagen used to call theirs "syncro". Audi has always used the term "quattro".