How much longer do you think my 01M is going to last?

mike944

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta
Hey guys,

Right off the bat, yes i know the 01M is going to die sooner or later. I'm trying to plan for the $$$ of a rebuild / 5spd conversion. I'm looking for people's thoughts on how much longer i have.

I just changed the fluid again in my 2001 jetta, with 185K miles. There was a LOT of stuff stuck to the magnet in the pan. i didn't take a photo, but it was caked probably .150" to .200" thick over the entire surface. Yikes! The last change was about 140K (with kerma mod). i removed some stuff from the magnet last time, but nowhere near this much. The first time (80K) i removed stuff from the magnet too, but not as much.

Even though it looked like aluminum paint, i know only steel will stick to the magnet, so i assume this is shredded clutch plates. There can't be much left of them. for a month or so now, I've been getting a hesitation going into drive. it shudders like it engages 1st gear, but it really won't move. there's a second engagement about 1 second later. It's particularly bad when cold, after backing out of a spot. It works fine after that. This problem seems to have gone away after the fluid change. The filter looked pretty clogged. perhaps that was it.

What are the symptoms of an imminent trans failure? are there any? I will probably convert to a manual when it does die. Do i start collecting parts now?

Sorry for the long post, do you think i can get another 25-30K out of it? (1 year for me)

bayshorecs

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Golf
The symptoms are basically what you described.

I would be getting your parts together now. It can take awhile to get them all and I don't think you have much time on the tranny.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
transmission

Don't plan on any long trips. Do you have AAA? Hope you enjoy walking. Carry water bottles & food with you. Raincoat if you are in FLA.:) :) :p