PD or VE ?? May be time for a change

resto1975

Veteran Member
TDI
T4 1.9tdi
I need help making my mind up, I have been running a fully blueprinted 2.0ltr AFN engine in my T4 camper at about 180whp for a few years now that has been great but I fancy a new challenge. I have various PD bits so I am looking to build a new motor based on an ARL block the plan being to also mod and fit a 6 speed ARL box (not easy). I am running a GTB2056vl that will straight swap to the PD but I am keen not to lose any power so what else should I be looking at for the same level of power as my VE lump. I want to run a clean tune as the emissions rules are getting tighter in the UK so am I looking at headwork, camshaft, injectors etc.
Proven long term setups to give me an idea of the options.
Any suggestions gratefully received !

sam-

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf mk3 tdi AFN
An standard ARL engine will make even more than your 180whp, i would not bother with cams, head porting for that level of power if you want more power, change your turbo and upgrade the nozzle, you can go close to 280hp.

Your AFN look like a better build so you could just install the 02M 6 speed.
If you want more power, upgrade head pump, i think you can hit 220-230hp with your turbo (ARL injector will do that power too)

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
The Ve versus pd power delivery is somewhat different and will be tiresome in the van, you will have to work the gearbox quite a lot ! The ve has a much broader power curve, the pd will break traction easily as the power comes in one big lump ! As Sam mentioned above, a bigger turbo from this day and age with larger injectors will take the 150 PD ARL to over 250 Bhp however you will need to throw some rods in there to stiffen the bottom end.
I will not be that keen on ARL, and probably look for a stock pd130, they are a bit more reliable and don’t wear cams as quickly as the ARL does. Injectors are expensive however Gibonta, Firad, Bosio, and a few more cater for the old pd lump- getting someone that know to set them properly is another matter... Keith at United diesel has experimented with larger nozzles, also Darkside can advise you and probably sell you updated nozzles then there’s only the mapping side of things to massage !
You will need to get a decent billet cam in there, new cam shells, later PD Black tappers and almost every bolt is a stretch bolt ! You should also take the sump pan off and swap the rod bearings bolts if you keep the bottom end stock, it will be cared for if you swap rods though ! Look at ARP hardware.
If i am pedantic I would rather keep tuning the old VE lump, a 11mm pump, better turbo and larger nozzles should see you past 250 Bhp especially as you’ve done the legwork ! Good luck in your quest for more power ! Why not sell the van as it is and just start fresh ? I know it’s challenging to find a rust free t4 nowadays but one from Italy or Spain should have little to no rust ! I am tuning a 2.5 tdi syncro for a tuning shop in my town, it’s a 150 Bhp AXG engine, should go pretty well after the upgrade. Power target is 280 Bhp...

bhodgkiss

Veteran Member
TDI
AFN Passat Wagon
Why would a PD have a narrower torque band than a VE if mapped well with 'same' hardware (turbo upgrade etc?)
Surely both will have adequate fuel flow/control to target and the same for boost?

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Pd runs out of puff by 3500 rpms and ve keeps on making torque higher up the revs... Pd is fun for a while, you get tired of changing cogs in a van with pd engine as it’s either under the power band or over the power band hence why it’s better having VE engine. If in 2nd/3rd gear under revs the pd will conk out, the VE won’t ! You will soon know what I mean if you take a pd t5 van for a drive- you will have to re-adjust your driving style !
A jerky drive in a passenger car you will get away with but in a 2 tone van with gearing made to pull it won’t be pleasant to drive, novelty wears off pretty soon ! I must be getting old ...

resto1975

Veteran Member
TDI
T4 1.9tdi
I must admit I am not a fan of the drive of the T5 but i always put it down to the gearboxs. I had an AXG setup in my other van which i tuned to just under 200bhp which i loved the delivery was smooth and endless. I am going to start having a look at a few files to see where there is room for improvement with the delivery of the PD.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
If youre constantly pushing on the loud pedal then the pd power delivery is ok as it comes strong from 1700 rpms or so however the torque band is narrow and you need to upshift rather quick. This is ok if youre trying to make quick progress howeber novelty wears off and you get tired of swapping cogs on a sedate drive... The car gearboxes are not really suited to 2 tonne of van with aerodynamics of a brick. Will make for an interesting prijekt though... From this point of view i really do like the lazy power delivery of a 5 cyl 2.5tdi engine as its so smooth when off boost and it doesnt stall either when you drive along with engine on tick over. As i said, its a matter of personal taste really and some might find it adeqvate, tryit and see if you can live with it... The ve lump you have in there at the moment seems the best candidate for some large bosio/gibonta/firad nozzles and a gtb2260vk which can satisfy your needs...

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
I always felt your build was meant for more than 180hp! If you aren’t running the 11mm, you should have had me beat a while ago, go get one. I even stopped dynoing 5 years ago before we got it maxed out.

Your lump has plenty of space left for some growth, maybe it’s the 2056vl on the 4 cylinder.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
I had a AHH audi a4 with ported head, rods, twin valve springs, bosio race injectors, a bv43 and that was a very fun car to drive, it ripped stock flywheel in pieces. Unfortunately my ex decided to trow it away along with plenty of my tools whilst i was on holiday...
I second koyajerms sugestion- if you dont have a 11mm pump in there then get one asap, with larger nozzles you have 250 bhp potential!

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Ben, you already have the rods and rest of the bits to do yours, why not start while its still hot/summer?

resto1975

Veteran Member
TDI
T4 1.9tdi
I have various tunes and it will make 200whp 240-250bhp. Smoke free would be nice ������

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
Then i wouldnt bother with pd at all and just go with Cr engine... I am sure you can get 200-250 bhp smoke free from a 2.0 tdi! You dont need egr, dpf and with a nice tune you wont have stalling issues as in a pd engine, cr can run low revs so are ideal for motorway cruising. Also cr is built a lot stronger from the factory and 400 bhp is doable on one of them... ditch the balancer shaft, add a egr delete pipe and use your existing turbo and you wont look back.