Very, very confused offered buy back

2002tdi

Vendor
TDI
2012 jetta premier DSG
I just picked up a 2011 jetta sportwagon for my wife to drive. bought it 7/28/18. I called the local VW dealer and they said to enter all the info in the claims portal. i did that and it gave me a buy back offer (i thought was very stange since i had just bought it). Called an assistant there and she said looks like everything on her end is good, although there is always a chance they will deny it. I cannot believe they will actually let this go though. i bought it for $3500 out the door from a used car dealer. anyone have any input? i cannot find a date that shows when it had to be bought by.

GolfGTD

TDI
2013 GOLF StationWagen TDI
I’m sure they will catch it once they see the title being bought after the deadline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2002tdi

Vendor
TDI
2012 jetta premier DSG
it asks the purchase date of the vehicle. and I told the lady on the phone i just bought it less than a week ago. thats what I am thinking they will catch it, but mostly wanting to know if anyone else has gone through this or not.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
It may be possible, but I'm not very familiar with the details pertaining to cars sold after Sept. 2015. The settlement documents should have your answers. There's a link to the documents and FAQ's on the sign-in page on the portal.

Previous owner(s) could also make a claim to their share of the restitution money, but not the value offered for the car.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
How many miles are on the car? Is it in good condition?

Not likely you're going to find anyone else in you situation.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
If you were offered over $12K(?) for that car, the only thing you have to fear from attempting to sell it back to VW is rejection.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
Purchase/lease dates and deadline wording in the documents can be difficult to comprehend. The more you read, the less sense it all makes.

Thankfully, my situation did not involve any of those dates.

gtmule

TDI
Passat, Jetta, Passat
Check to see if it's had the fix. https://vwdiesellookup.com/

If it has, they certainly won't do a buyback, if it's only had phase 1 they'll maybe give you something for phase 2.

I assume you don't have an actual offer letter (to sign and scan back). If you do, set your appointment and go get your $.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Previous owner, and the dealer who sold you the car, may have been living under a rock. Their loss, your gain. Submit, if you get an offer then take the money and run.

Chiroman

TDI
'15 GSW, '05 Jetta PD
When submitting a claim on the TDI claim portal, you need to upload proof of ownership prior to September, 2015. You would need to submit the bill of sale for the vehicle and the vehicle registration (showing ownership prior to Sep, 2015). If you can not demonstrate ownership prior to Sep/15, you will not be eligible for a buyback. The court documents are very clear on this. There may be some sort of screw up right now indicating you are eligible for a buyback, but once you actually submit a claim, it will be declined. Of course, no harm in trying anyway... the worst and most likely outcome is that they so no.

2002tdi

Vendor
TDI
2012 jetta premier DSG
Previous owner, and the dealer who sold you the car, may have been living under a rock. Their loss, your gain. Submit, if you get an offer then take the money and run.
i just looked into this a little futher. the previous owner was the original owner. he sold it 6-12-14. the owner of the dealers son drove it for almost 4 years. technically i am the 2nd owner of it.

fr@nknb33n$

TDI
2012 Golf
Makes no sense. If you bought at the dealership, they should have done the modification before they sold it. So, the cars probably already been modified. And if purchased after a certain date, you are not eligible.

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
I just picked up a 2011 jetta sportwagon for my wife to drive. bought it 7/28/18. I called the local VW dealer and they said to enter all the info in the claims portal. i did that and it gave me a buy back offer (i thought was very stange since i had just bought it). Called an assistant there and she said looks like everything on her end is good, although there is always a chance they will deny it. I cannot believe they will actually let this go though. i bought it for $3500 out the door from a used car dealer. anyone have any input? i cannot find a date that shows when it had to be bought by.
The septermber 15th is false, i purchased a 2013 audi a3 february 28 2016 and it was bought back. full price also
It seems like you have answered your own question, but yes, a car bought after September 18, 2015 is eligible for participation in the settlement - just like your 2013 A3 which was purchased in 2016.

The relevant wording is in the Final Approval Order:

Page 5/48, Line 3
The Settlement Class is defined as all persons (including individuals and entities) who, on September 18, 2015, were registered owners or lessees of, or, in the case of Non-Volkswagen Dealers, held title to or held by bill of sale dated on or before September 18, 2015, a Volkswagen or Audi 2.0-liter TDI vehicle in the United States or its territories (an “Eligible Vehicle”), or who, between September 18, 2015, and the end of the Claim Period, become a registered owner of, or, in the case of NonVolkswagen Dealers, hold title to or hold by bill of sale dated after September 18, 2015, but before the end of the Claims Period, an
Eligible Vehicle in the United States or its territories.
Page 5/48, Line 19
An Eligible Owner is the registered owner or owners of an Eligible Vehicle on June 28, 2016, or the registered owner or owners who acquire an Eligible Vehicle after June 28, 2016, but before the end of the Claim Period, except that the owner of an Eligible Vehicle who had an active lease issued by VW Credit, Inc. as of September 18, 2015, and purchased an Eligible Vehicle previously leased by that owner after June 28, 2016 shall be an Eligible Lessee. A Non-Volkswagen Dealer who, on or after June 28, 2016, holds title to or holds by bill of sale an Eligible Vehicle in the United States or its territories shall qualify as an Eligible Owner regardless of whether that Non-Volkswagen Dealer is registered as the owner of the Eligible Vehicle, provided that the Non-Volkswagen Dealer otherwise meets the definition of Eligible Owner.
This has been widely discussed, but is worth repeating, the Claim Period runs through December 30, 2018, but the deadline to submit a valid claim is September 1, 2018 (Approved Class Action Settlement Agreement):

Page 5/52, Line 15
“Claim Period” means the time period during which Class Members may submit a Claim for review to the Claims Supervisor and obtain benefits under the Class Action Settlement Program. The Claim Period shall run from entry of the Preliminary Approval Order until December 30, 2018. Class Members must submit a complete and valid Claim by no later than September 1, 2018, and, if eligible, shall have until December 30, 2018, to obtain their chosen remedy.

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Note the words "complete and valid". That means you've submitted the forms, and if VW rejected the submission for any reason then you've resubmitted to resolve whatever the issue is, and VW has accepted the documentation as complete.

GET IT DONE. NOW.

2010TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI 6MT, 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG (sold), 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI DSG (sold), 2015 Golf SportWagen TDI DSG
Makes no sense. If you bought at the dealership, they should have done the modification before they sold it. So, the cars probably already been modified. And if purchased after a certain date, you are not eligible.
I don't know that there was ever anything preventing a VW dealership from selling a used TDI, either before or after the fix was announced :confused:. The only restrictions I was aware of was the stop-sale on new 2.0L 2015 MY cars, and that used TDIs could not be sold as CPO (I'm assuming the stop sale would have affected any unsold 2.0L 2014 MY cars also).

VW dealers were excluded from participating in the settlement, so if they brought in a car on trade, etc., there was not much incentive for them to keep it and wait for a fix. There were basically no rules for any other dealer as any non VW dealer would have been treated the same as any other "Eligible Owner."

Chiroman

TDI
'15 GSW, '05 Jetta PD
can you provide me the proof of that chiroman?

My apologies, the information I presented relates to Canada. I had read all the Canadian court documents, and thought Canada basically got the same settlement as in the US, but I admit that I have not read the US documents. In Canada, if you bought your vehicle after Sep 18, 2015, you are only eligible for the emissions mod. This would explain why some in the US cashed in big by buying up old TDI's cheap after the scandal, and then doing the buyback on all of them as the current owner, getting much more then what they were bought for. 2002tdi, it would seem that you have the opportunity again. This simply would not have been possible in Canada. Apparently there are still people (and used car dealerships) living under a rock. There may still be a few of these TDI's hiding in used car lots... great value if you can find one cheap!

Here is the Canadian settlement info (just for completeness):

[FONT=&quot]If you are an eligible owner or lessee, YOU MAY CLAIM:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Buyback + Cash OR Trade In toward purchase of replacement Volkswagen / Audi vehicle +Cash OR Approved Emissions Modification + Extended Emissions Warranty + Cash if you owned your vehicle on September 18, 2015 and continue to be the owner.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Approved Emissions Modification + Extended Emissions Warranty + Cash if you purchased your vehicle after September 18, 2015 and continue to be the owner.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Early Lease Termination + Cash OR Approved Emissions Modification + Extended Emissions Warranty +Cash if you held a lease on your vehicle on September 18, 2015 and continue to be in your lease.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Even if you no longer own or lease your vehicle, you may be eligible for Cash.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you sell your vehicle on or after January 4, 2017, you may lose any benefits for which you may be eligible.[/FONT]

Last edited:

Blakejc18

TDI
2013 Passat SE, 2014 Jetta
I’ve done 2 buybacks on cars bought after September 2015. One was bought August 2016 turned in feb 2018. The other car I bought Jan 2018 and I am turning the car in next week.
The paperwork has to be sumbitted and accepted before next month and the buyback program officially ends December this year.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
I am not gonna reply to every person, but everyone who says it will not go through is WRONG.

I am doing buybacks on cars purchased within last few weeks. Its absolutely fine. As long as it was registered by someone, somewhere in 2015-2016, it is a valid claim and buyback will go through.

Congrats!

2002tdi

Vendor
TDI
2012 jetta premier DSG
Sorry for all the confusion and questions. Thanks everyone. There are 10+ more that I have ran the vin and they were not fixed yet. It’s almost a scam. You can make 20,000 within 2 cars very quick

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Sorry for all the confusion and questions. Thanks everyone. There are 10+ more that I have ran the vin and they were not fixed yet. It’s almost a scam. You can make 20,000 within 2 cars very quick
Where do you see 10 more? Also, check CarFax or vinhistory.com to see if last title was made out to Manufacturer. Some of them are post buyback, but not fixed yet. But title will show that last title was made in Michigan to Manufacturer/

2002tdi

Vendor
TDI
2012 jetta premier DSG
Buyback is scheduled for the 24th. already found a replacement for it. 2013 jetta sport wagon with 48k for 11,500. has already had the fix done. I honestly cannot believe that they are buying this back. The process with very slow. If i would have know the purchase date did not matter I would have done this with a few of them.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
1. - If a car has had the fix done - no buyback should be granted.

1a. If a VW dealer bought the car after it had been bought back, they generally need to do the applicable fix before resale.

2. Even if you miss the date for getting money on the fix, you should still be able to get the emission modification done as a recall.

2002tdi

Vendor
TDI
2012 jetta premier DSG
1. the car never had a fix.
2. i bought it from a used car dealer. the owner drove it personally for a few years
3. I have the potential of making 12,000 who in their right mind wouldn't sell it back