Leather seat cooling cushions

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
I have heated leather seats that are great in the winter but we are now in our triple digit summer so the seats get too hot.

Does anyone use cooling seat cushions, either passive or active, with their leather seats in the summer? If so, any recommended brand?

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
How handy are you?

Here's a DIY method. Its for a kids car seat but it could be adaptable. https://www.instructables.com/id/Liquid-Cooled-Car-Seats-for-babies/

You can buy a medical system and modify it. My wife had a knee replacement in May and went home with a system like this: http://www.polarproducts.com/polars...Therapy-System-with-9-Quart-Cooler-p32781.htm I think this would be awesome but at $250 + modifications, I'm not sure it would be worth it.
Interesting, but they have the added complexity of using liquid medium.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
A towel would probably work as good as the first Amazon link above. The second may provide some relief especially if you could get an AC vent connected to the fan intake in front. Blowing regular air through it may help some but blowing AC air through it would probably be great. Do you have rear AC vents where one could be sacrificed for under the drivers seat to that fan?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Regarding the ZoneTech, if I run the A/C on recirculate it gets colder; by using the footwell and dash vents together the cooled air will be pulled into the cushion fan and circulate behind my back as well as blow directly on my upper body front.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
We used the beaded seat covers for this reason when we lived just north of Sacramento. Nothing like vinyl seats in a work truck that has NO AC.

The beads or the woven material pads mainly just air gap to reduce contact point and conduction of heat. Still going to be warm but not like a full on vinyl or leather in 100F+ weather.

BTW - thanks for the tubing idea for the child seat. I'm going to do this for my little one.

Jason

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
BTW - thanks for the tubing idea for the child seat. I'm going to do this for my little one.

Jason
You're Welcome. I never knew those things existed, either homemade or bought, until my wife had her surgery. Ever since, we have been joking about how we can put them it to use, besides her knee.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We used the beaded seat covers for this reason when we lived just north of Sacramento. Nothing like vinyl seats in a work truck that has NO AC.

The beads or the woven material pads mainly just air gap to reduce contact point and conduction of heat. Still going to be warm but not like a full on vinyl or leather in 100F+ weather.

Jason
I thought about the beaded cushions but was afraid they would damage the leather.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
I think any of these ideas has the potential to damage the leather. I know of some seats where the beaded cushions were left in for years had some funky wear.

Jason

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think any of these ideas has the potential to damage the leather. I know of some seats where the beaded cushions were left in for years had some funky wear.

Jason
The plan is to just use them during the heat of summer, not year-round

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
The plan is to just use them during the heat of summer, not year-round
Sounds perfect to me. Let the posterior warmers do their thing in colder months.

Probably just lift them up once a week or two and dust off and keep eye for wear. But I don't think a few month during the summer are going to do that much to wear the seats.

Jason