What did you do to your car today?

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
I have worn rotors on my Skoda and lately I've noticed some light vibration under braking so I decided to check the front end before ordering parts, turns out I have a bad front wheel bearing! That's the second time I have a bad bearing (one on both cars) without hearing any rumble beforehand. I'm usually very good at adressing where sounds come from and adjust timing on old IDI's by ear etc, but these bearings take me by surprise for some reason...
Anyway, placed an order on brake discs/pads, wheel bearing, timing belt kit with WP, t-stat and some oil filters.
My Skoda will hit 300k km pretty soon, we'll get a good start on the next 300 with new brakes and tb :)

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Thursday past: 90k service - Oil / Air/ Cabin / Fuel filters and new oil.

This weekend was a 900km trip from Nelson to Kalispell, MT for my sons soccer team.

Last night washed off all the bugs and applied new yellow Lamin-x covers to the fogs.

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Rebuilt a rear brake caliper on the Golf, it would sometimes drag a bit and get warm.
The piston looked pretty good but the oil seal in the bore was awful, like it was missing small bits and was swollen. Could that happen if the brake fluid isn't changed often enough?

New seals and piston made quite the difference!

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Interesting. Will that thing actually stay where you put it?
Well, at 150 - 200 lbs it should. Of course if you drive across it at an angle some creep might be imparted. Also, I ordered an extra center section so with all four sections bolted together, it will be extremely hard to steal. It is also way cheaper than having the driveway ripped out and repaired at a proper angle; even just redoing the rolled curb to a flat slant would cost more (assuming the city would allow it).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've seen neighborhood speed bumps like that. And I doubt you have to worry about snow plows.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
And I doubt you have to worry about snow plows.
True, but not because we don't get snow since our elevation is just about 5,300 ft. However we live on a cul-de-sac that isn't plowed, and neither are the two streets we have to drive on to get to a main road.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB

joyjoy22

TDI
2015 Volkswagen Beetle
I finally got time to install the wheels and tires I purchased from 4WheelOnline last month. I've been busy the last few days and my parcel has been in the garage for days.

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
A week ago or so, was able to finally install the 1.8T spindles, brake calipers, and rotors. I have had them sitting on a shelf probably close to a year. I got them a the JY and cleaned them up and put a fresh coat of gold caliper paint. Resurfaces the rotors, put new seals on the calipers and then just sat. I had to wait to get another set of rear brakes so I could clean them and paint them. Finally got all parts and hardware together and completed this work. All I got to do next is flush the brake fluid and get new struts and shocks, and the control arm bushings will need to be replaced.

ryansportwagen

TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen DSG
Yesterday and today I re-painted the bumper and passenger side fender. That paint had started peeling not long after I bought the car last year (Carvana) leaving white/gray primer. It looked terrible. Though, I'm not sure my rattle-can paint job is going to look much better, lol. This is the first time I've tried to paint a car, and honestly I'll be happy as long as it stays on there, even though it's mottled with a few runs. I'm hoping that I can make it more reflective with a wet sanding and buff once it's finished curing (about a week in my experience with the same clear coat on another project). Maaco wanted like 500 to redo the bumper. I was just gonna plast-dip the bumper but then paint started peeling off the fender, too

I peeled everything that wanted to come off, then sanded the transition smooth and scuffed the rest. Then cleaned, wiped with mineral spirits followed by isopropyl to get off any wax and residue. Then after taping I applied a gray primer sealer, which was a screw-up because the car is dark blue and the primer was more like white. It took 4 cans of custom mixed spray paint from O'Reilly's to get good coverage. There's not a whole lot of paint in them, though. It was late by then so it dried overnight. This morning I clear coated it with Rustoleum Painter's Choice clear gloss, 3 cans total.

So I'll see how it ends up! If it doesn't get better after sanding then I may get just the fender redone at a shop.

https://flic.kr/p/2mCsiiP https://flic.kr/p/2mCmWPb

Last edited:

reince

TDI
2006 Beetle
Yesterday and today I re-painted the bumper and passenger side fender. That paint had started peeling not long after I bought the car last year (Carvana) leaving white/gray primer. It looked terrible. Though, I'm not sure my rattle-can paint job is going to look much better, lol. This is the first time I've tried to paint a car, and honestly I'll be happy as long as it stays on there, even though it's mottled with a few runs. I'm hoping that I can make it more reflective with a wet sanding and buff once it's finished curing (about a week in my experience with the same clear coat on another project). Maaco wanted like 500 to redo the bumper. I was just gonna plast-dip the bumper but then paint started peeling off the fender, too

I peeled everything that wanted to come off, then sanded the transition smooth and scuffed the rest. Then cleaned, wiped with mineral spirits followed by isopropyl to get off any wax and residue. Then after taping I applied a gray primer sealer, which was a screw-up because the car is dark blue and the primer was more like white. It took 4 cans of custom mixed spray paint from O'Reilly's to get good coverage. There's not a whole lot of paint in them, though. It was late by then so it dried overnight. This morning I clear coated it with Rustoleum Painter's Choice clear gloss, 3 cans total.

So I'll see how it ends up! If it doesn't get better after sanding then I may get just the fender redone at a shop.

https://flic.kr/p/2mCsiiP https://flic.kr/p/2mCmWPb
Neat results! Nice

BakoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, MK7
Finally got a set of ECS Tuning coilovers. Adjusting the height was easy for the front (just removing the tire and adjusting the perches) but for the rear, it seemed a little more intricate. Overall, the rear is a bit more stiff and the road is felt a lot more than stock. Handling is much more stable, but it's only week 1. I know they will settle a little more and hopefully loosen up a tad. The car rides a little lower than stock for sure.