2015 GSW TDI S: Snow chains recommendations?

imbrian

TDI
03 jetta wagon
just read up a little bit on this.....seems even the bonafide ksummits arent made by thule anymore....not the knockoffs, but the 'thule' ones.

im looking at isse tire socks? ecstune carries them, have a video, looks good. cheap, easy on....but with 30mph limit, and need to see how they do on ice, not snow.

but i do recall they may not be up for use in cali

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
Looks like Thule doesn’t make chains at all anymore. They’re all Konig now.

If you’re going with tire socks, look at the Michelin Easy Grips. They are a hybrid of chains and socks.

And with chains or socks, you shouldn’t be going faster than 25MPH.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Thule K-Summit
On and off in 5 minutes.

(edit): very weird, I just checked the amazon.ca site, and these chains are $150 CDN (Sept 6/19), whereas I paid around $560.00 last November.
I just ordered a set of the K33.
(No sizing chart, but a reviewer of the K33 put them on a Golf R - so they should fit (?))

Last edited:

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Bringing this to the top since winter has arrived in some places, planning to visit Northern NM around Christmas and looking for something to carry along just "in case". Couldn't find the cheap K33s Nuje mentioned and Amazon says no Michelin tire socks to fit a 2015 GSW. Any updates on availability and sizing from those of you that bought something already?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
For those following along, if you do find the K33, they're NOT the right size for our stock tire sizes (regardless of whether you're running 15, 16, or 17" rims).
The stock tire sizes on our cars require the K23, which fit 195-65-15, 205-55-16, 225-45-17, et al.

If you're running a slightly taller tire like 205-60-16s, though - the K33 are the ticket...and there's a set for sale in the Classifieds section. They really are super-simple to install, ridiculously so. Even a disinterested spouse could be talked through installing them over the phone should an emergency situation arise.

Last edited:

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I just picked up a new set of K-23s-open box- on ebay for $189 shipped. Thanks for the help and advice.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I picked up a cheap set of cables at an Oriellys that fit my tire size. Granted mine are an "If I need them", vs an "I will need them" like others. Think I paid around $50 for a set that sits in the back of my wagon and I have not even used them yet.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine are an "if I need them" as well (most winters I do not), but a few times, we've been up at our local ski hill (about 25km from home, with the last 15km being straight up the mountain road - 6-12% grade), and while up there, it's started snowing...and wet coast - we can end up with over a foot of heavy, wet, snow in well under an hour.

It's the going down the hill that's by far the worst in heavy snow. That's where 3-minute snow chains will be well-appreciated. :D

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Received the ebay open box K-23 Summits, complete and un-used. Tried them on today, very easy, 1 or 2 min per wheel and no reaching behind the wheel. They come with parts to adapt to different tire and wheel sizes so you can get them set up to your vehicle before venturing out but they fit the 205/55/16 right out of the box with no modifications whatsoever. Very pleased.